TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2001, 08:28 AM   #1

Default Torque Wrenches

Just purchased a 2001 TM2720SL, now the fun begins.  Where can I find torque wrenches to tighten the wheels?  What should I pay for such a wrench?  Do I need a certain size?  How often should the wheels be checked?  The manual says every 50 miles is that correct?

Thanks,
CSS
Old 08-08-2001, 05:02 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re: Torque Wrenches

One of the better places to buy tools is Sears.  The Craftsman brand has proven to be extremely reliable and tough.  You can expect to pay upwards of $75 for a good torque wrench.

While I've never owned one myself, I plan to buy one shortly.  We, too, bought a new trailer and I've been negligent in checking the torque of the lug nuts.  However, I do check them (with a socket attached to a 1/2" drive rachet) and I think I'm in the ballpark on appropriate tightness.  The main issue is checking them.  During the first 200 or so miles it is smart to check them several times (every 50 miles seems excessive unless you stop for other reasons).  During this initial breakin period the wheels and lug nuts are undergoing a "settling in" adjustment.  After this adjustment period, checking them before you leave on a trip and when you get ready to leave your destination to return home is good.

I do a "walk-around" visual inspection every time I stop for gas.  I've only had a wheel come loose once (on a pop up trailer) because I was ignorant of the things I mentioned above.

Enjoy your new "home on wheels" to the fullest by being aware of how to properly maintain it.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:51 PM   #3

CSS:

I agree with Paul,,,, stop by your local Sears for your wrench. Don't be fooled by a cheap torque wrench at a discount tool store, or a flea market. A good torque wrench is one of those items that you get what you pay for. Get a "click" type wrench, not a "pointer". They are much easier to use. Another one of those things,,, once you use a clicker, you will never go back to a pointer. So get the good one the first time around, and get it over with.

You asked what size to get,,,, they come in 1/4 inch drive, 1/2 inch drive, and 3/4 inch drive. (I don't know if Sears even carries the 3/4). You want the 1/2 inch drive.

When you use your wrench, don't use an extention that is any longer than need be. If you can get by with just a deep-well socket,,, all the better. Reason being,,, an extenton will twist a might when you get on it. The longer, (and cheaper), it is, the more it will twist. When it twists, you throw your torque readings out the window.

With that said,,,, before the arguements start comming in,,,some people will argue that it won't twist that much, and won't change your readings that much, so don't worry about it. While this may true,,,,, with all due respect to these people,,,,, the whole purpose in getting a good torque wrench and using it in the first place is to get an accurate tightness on your nuts and bolts. If you are going to look at it as, "this is close enough", why bother with it in the first place? Save that $75-$100 and just use your four-way. Do it right, or don't do it at all. Again,,,,, with all due respect.

Mack
Old 08-13-2001, 03:18 PM   #4

The torque wrench is a good idea.  I also recommend the 1/2 inch, and the "click" type is better.  The only down side is that if you are serious about accuracy, the click type, which uses a spring internally, should be recalibrated every year or so.  Springs will lose tension over time.   Remember to back off the torque setting when you put the wrench away and this may not be a serious concern.

Oh, IMHO it's just as important to avoid over-tightening the lug nuts.  Watch out for your local tire shop.  They just use impact wrenches and are notorious for over tightening the nuts.  I've seen studs snap, and once had to have a nut cut off!
Old 08-20-2001, 03:19 PM   #5

???new to this board....glad i found it. was reading pop-up times' message board but found that it did not lend itself to our type of pop-up. now for my question, my background is clinical (psychology and nursing) NO mechanical skills at all. regarding torque wrenche thread...if i understand correctly, i should purchase a 1/2 click type wrench...then what? how does it work and most importantly how do i use it.

thanks for your patience.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:59 PM   #6

The Craftsman "click" torque wrench has a ratchet socket head attached to a long round bar. Near the base of the bar is a plastic ring.

The plastic ring is a lock that keeps your setting fixed.

When in the "unlock" position, you twist the handle to set the proper torque. The bar is scribed in 10 lb-ft increments (if you buy the 1/2" wrench). Each complete twist of the handle is 10 lb-ft. The handle itself has a ten marks used to line up the unit setting with a mark on the bar. This way, to set say 25 lb-ft, you rotate the handle between 20 and 30 on the bar, with the #5 mark on the handle matching the mark on the bar. (I'm having a tough time describing this, I think). You can always go to craftsman.com, search for "torque" and look at the picture.

When the wrench is set, and you're tightening the bolt, you'll hear a "click" when the proper torque is met.

It's important to apply a smooth motion to the wrench, no bouncing, or else you're likely not getting the setting you're after.

Hope this helps...
Old 08-20-2001, 06:02 PM   #7

As jon.m says, be sure to apply smooth, even pressure. And be sure to listen for that "click". You will only get it once. If you miss it, you will just keep on tighting. And you will notice that the lower your setting, the quiter the click. So, listen up.

If possible, it is always best to have clean, lightly lubed, threads. But, that is not always possible. Just do the best you can.

If you can get to your Sears store on a weekday morning, they are usually not too busy, and I'm sure a salesman would be glad to step you through it.

Mack
Old 08-21-2001, 06:14 AM   #8

thanks, went to sears today just to look at it. will return later this week to purchase and try it out. i was just going to use my lung wrench to see if anything was not tight. i'll keep you posted. off to hot springs ark this weekend.

Old 08-28-2001, 01:27 PM   #9

All,

Although new to the RV, I have had a boat trailer for 13 years and use a 2 ft. pipe on the end of the standard lug wrench and give it everything I've got short of standing on it to get the nuts tight. Have never had one come loose in that many years. Not sure of the need for a torque wrench unless I have just been lucky.

Dick B.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:42 PM   #10

By putting a 2 ft pipe wrench on the end of a lug wrench, and "giving it everything you've got" you could easily be putting over 250-300 ft lbs of torque on the bolts.  At that torque you will distort the brake drum and possibly take the lugs into a condition where they lose all of their strength.  They won't come loose, but could snap off and cause you to lose the wheel.  Please use a trque wrench.  I've found that I can easily bring them up to 90 ft lbs with very little effort.