TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
PopBeavers

I am the other Wayne, but both of us might have the same problem, which is solved by NOT using a WD hitch.

The weight on my TM axle, the one time I weighed it, was 3380 pounds. If I transfer more than 120 pounds back to the TM axle then I would be overloading it.

I already had a blow out on the curb side of the TM as it is. I do not see any value in putting more weight on those tires.

But, I also do not have a 1/2 ton truck.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I am the other Wayne, but both of us might have the same problem, which is solved by NOT using a WD hitch.

The weight on my TM axle, the one time I weighed it, was 3380 pounds. If I transfer more than 120 pounds back to the TM axle then I would be overloading it.

I already had a blow out on the curb side of the TM as it is. I do not see any value in putting more weight on those tires.

But, I also do not have a 1/2 ton truck.
This is exactly correct. A lot of people don't understand the mechanics of the WDH.....

The WDH acts as a (spring loaded) bridge (of sorts) between the front axle of the TV and the trailer axle. As load (weight) and shock loading is increased in the center of the bridge, part of the load is distributed to the front and rear of the bridge (up to the max rating of the WDH).

I have a heavy shell on my P/U and I load the back of the truck with cargo. I'd say that I am adding an additional 500-600# to the rear of my truck. When hitting bumps, driving on concrete roads, going over dips, crossing intersections etc, part of the additional weight in the back of my truck (center of the "bridge") adds to the shock loading on the trailer axle when using the WDH. It's my opinion that this shock loading (not just the additional wieght) can contribute to early tire failure if the trailer axle and tires are close to their max rating.

Having said all that.....if the choice is between early tire failure and inadequate weight distribution to the front of the TV, I'd choose using the WDH and risking early tire failure. However, with the heavier, 147" WB truck, I have not found handling or braking to be an issue as I did with my lighter, 127" WB (S10) truck.