TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
M&M Hokie

Default Recommended Truck Tow Vehicles

The wife and I are considering buying a truck to add to our vehicle stable. A key consideration is of course using it as our TV instead of the Sienna. While the Sienna "works", I would prefer a more robust vehicle be assigned the duties.

We are leaning towards a V-8 Tundra 4x4 but would be interested in hearing what others think. We looked at Fords and Chevys but it seems like you get to 40K in a hurry if the websites are accurate whereas a similar Tundra looks to be 5K cheaper.

Any opinions out there?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
The wife and I are considering buying a truck to add to our vehicle stable. A key consideration is of course using it as our TV instead of the Sienna. While the Sienna "works", I would prefer a more robust vehicle be assigned the duties.

We are leaning towards a V-8 Tundra 4x4 but would be interested in hearing what others think. We looked at Fords and Chevys but it seems like you get to 40K in a hurry if the websites are accurate whereas a similar Tundra looks to be 5K cheaper.

Any opinions out there?
Just curious why the 4X4.......most people that have 4X4s in California seldom or never use the capacity.

4X4 adds initial cost and weight. It also adds susceptibilities to problems. I have no problem with 4X4s but IMO they add an additional risk factor with little return unless you travel in snow areas or off-road.

We bought a 3-year-old Silverado last year for under $11K. I have the original window sticker on the vehicle and it was $32K new and it has about $3K in add ons. It's in "like new" condition and we have towed about 4K miles with it already with zero issues. Used trucks are going for a song. If you're careful, you could save a lot more money than you would ever spend in maintenance.

BTW, my son has an '08 Tundra 4x4 V8 and he gets about 9MPG towing his 21' TT and about 15MPG going back 7 forth to work. My Silverado gets between 16-17MPG towing. I don't know what the mileage is non-towing because we use it exclusively for towing.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
LostTrail

Default Discounts

I've always heard and seen good things about the Tundra but I've always been a Ford guy myself.

I recently bought a 2010 F150 XLT, 5.4L 2WD with factory tow package and built in brake controler on the dash. 6.5' bed with extended cab, Tow rating is 9800LB, 6 speed automatic. It was $33K, After rebates and discounts it was 28K before trade in. Empty it gets 21 mpg on the interstate if you keep your foot out of it. My point is that Ford and the others have a lot of deals so to get an idea of real cost you might want to go by a dealer if your interrested.

DW and I are still hunting for our first TM but I have towed a trailer with my F150 and it does great. It weighs in at 5200LB empty and has a full box frame so its very stable on the road even in bad weather and around Tractor Trailers. It took a while to get used to parking it though as I had previously owned a Ford Ranger. Lots of good choices out there!

BTW.. 4X4's are great if you need one but if you don't keep in mind that they get less fuel mileage, cost more to buy and cost more to operate. The thing that shocks most people is when they find out that a 4X4 actually has LESS towing and hauling capacity that the same vehicle in a 4X2. It's because the drivetrain adds weight and load to the vehicle. I do admit that I've always wanted one, I just never had need for it.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
M&M Hokie

Thanks for the feedback Wayne. There are a lot of used 2WD trucks out there to choose from at prices similar to yours. As for the 2WD vs. 4WD argument, I am not convinced one way or the other fully. I lean toward the 4WD but concede that there would be rare need for it. There is rare need for things like fire alarms, seat belts, air bags, too, but they sure are invaluable when those admittedly rare needs arrive.

I am at least a couple of months away from making any decisions so there is plenty of time to think about it.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
PopBeavers

I got my Sierra, 4x4, crew cab, etc. for under 30K a little over a year ago, when GM had employee pricing for all. It was a better deal than used at the time.

I need to carry 5 adults, plus either 3 motorcycles or 6 mountain bikes or some combination in between. That left my choices with GM, Ford or Chrysler products. I don't think Toyota, etc. builds anything like my 2500HD.

Your towing needs are very likely much different than mine.

I like having 4x4 because I sometimes use the truck to go skiing in the winter. And, my favorite campsite requires that I cross a dry creek bed, dragging the TM rear hitch receiver on the ground. 4wd and low range is very helpful for that situation.

If you never get off of paved surfaces and never encounter ice and snow then 4wd is not necessary. You might consider a limited slip differential 2wd instead. I would not settle for less than limited slip 2wd.

Spend some time figuring out what your requirements are. If you are not sure, this is a good place to be thinking out loud.

Regarding drafting behind a big rig...

there was an episode on the Myth Busters not too long ago where they documented that you can in fact improve fuel economy by drafting behind a big rig, but also that you need not tailgate. Just follow the rig at the normal safe distance and it will help.

I ran a drafting test recently, using the mpg display in my Sierra and I gained about 1 mpg drafting versus not drafting. This was not using high precision test equipment.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
MudDog
TrailManor Master

We traded in our 2002 Sienna for a 2010 Tacoma 2WD Pre-Runner w/tow package (6500lb tow capacity) last fall...mainly for the same reasons you're looking to switch. The Sienna worked and got us all around the West for the first year we had the TM, but we wanted something more robust with a much wider safety margin.

We went with the Tacoma rather than a bigger truck so we could still get it in the garage next to the TM.

A few cons for us when coming from a van like the Sienna:

1) Cargo area is not covered/secure unless you get a shell
2) You lose the 3rd row of removable seating (2-3 passengers)
3) Gas mileage in the Tacoma is about 5mpg worse than the Sienna

Depsite the cons, we've been very happy with the switch (we ended up getting a shell) and while the Sienna pulled the TM up and down the I-5 Grapevine without issue, the Tacoma feels much more solid....both UP and DOWN such grades.
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Redhawk

I'm in the same boat as M&M, thought I wanted a '05/'06 Tundra because they're a bit smaller, but found out the tow limit is 6500 and gas mileage terrible. Started looking at bigger ones and like the new Fords. I need 4X4. Anyone here tow with a 4X4 F150? What is the gas mileage?

The newer Tacoma would work, but I'm concerned about the lower HP for towing here in the mountains with a ATV in the bed and a TM on the hitch!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I can relay my experience with our Toyota Sequoia, as it's based on the Tundra platform -- it has been top notch. Flawless, effortless towing, very comfortable, good handling, and low maintenance. Ours does not have many miles yet (45k), but based on my experience so far, I'd buy another one. The only drawback I have identified is that rear visibility is not real great, although this is the largest vehicle I have driven regularly. It's not fun reversing in tight parking lots. You really have to get to know the mirrors, and install convex mirrors to help minimize blind spots.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

From Santa Barbara, I bet your thinking includes Yosemite / Sequoia / King's Canyon. If so - well, you know where I'm going. The high altitudes and steep grades will be very hard on any vehicle. Bigger is better in terms of handling the stresses. You would hate to skimp on the cost of a vehicle in the name of MPG, and then spend a bundle on towing-induced repairs. In particular, transmissions are vulnerable - and very expensive.

As general statements, the following are true. You decide to what degree they apply to you.
1. More horsepower / torque is better
2. More transmission gears is better (6 is better than 5, and 5 is better than 4).
3. A tow/haul mode is better.
4. More wheelbase is better.
5. More tow rating is better.

Whatever you get, make an effort to get a factory-installed towing package. There are some things, such as a higher-numeric-ratio differential - that you can't install as aftermarket items.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Scott O

There are a whole bunch of vehicles which will tow your TM. But everything is a compromise between size, creature comforts, power and mileage. I would love to have a great big powerful V-8 with all sorts of bells and whistles. But I do like the 16+ mpg (I get the same mileage towing as I get without the TM in mixed driving around town) that I get with the Tacoma. You have to decide which compromise you can live best with.

As far as 4x4, this was a tough decision for us. Didn't know whether I would use it or not. But some of our best excursions have been off road (Without the TM attached!!!) and I am so happy to have it. It just opens up options which would not be otherwise available. But I won't take the TM off-road. It just seems too fragile!