TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm in the no-wheel camp, for two reasons. First, the wheel is heavy and messy to carry, and has to be stored somewhere while on the road - I don't dare leave it on the jack stem while driving. Second, it leaves the TM vulnerable to unexpected movement during the hitch / unhitch process. I nearly killed myself with it once. It was my own fault, but I still prefer to have the jack stem solidly anchored to the ground as soon as it bears weight - even before I get the levelling jacks down.

But without the wheel, I was always nervous about putting the end of the jack stem directly on a board, and cranking the jack down. The hitch weight is large, the end of the pipe is quite sharp, and I'm afraid it could cut through or break the board. And if I just put it on the ground, it simply punches down into the dirt (or breaks the rock I put under it). So I bought a 3/4-inch floor flange from a hardware store for a few bucks, and tossed it in my "towing stuff" box. I set it on the board (or on the ground) under the jack stem as the stem comes down, so that the stem comes down around the raised center portion of the metal flange. The board is protected from the sharp end of the pipe, and body of the flange spreads the load. Works great.

Bill
Attached Images

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
But without the wheel, I was always nervous about putting the end of the jack stem directly on a board, and cranking the jack down. The hitch weight is large, the end of the pipe is quite sharp, and I'm afraid it could cut through or break the board.
Our TM sits in our driveway with the jack stem sitting directly on several sections of 2x6 pressure treated lumber stacked on top of each other and screwed together. I do this to get added height, as it is parked on a hill, and the tongue sits up fairly high to get the TM level. I'd say there is ~1/16" indent from the jack stem in the board....it certainly shows no sign of splitting.

We always just rest it on a board while camping, unless we need extra height, in which case I slip on a metal foot which adds another 4"-6" or so.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm in the no-wheel camp, for two reasons. First, the wheel is heavy and messy to carry, and has to be stored somewhere while on the road - I don't dare leave it on the jack stem while driving. Second, it leaves the TM vulnerable to unexpected movement during the hitch / unhitch process. I nearly killed myself with it once. It was my own fault, but I still prefer to have the jack stem solidly anchored to the ground as soon as it bears weight - even before I get the levelling jacks down.

But without the wheel, I was always nervous about putting the end of the jack stem directly on a board, and cranking the jack down. The hitch weight is large, the end of the pipe is quite sharp, and I'm afraid it could cut through or break the board. So I bought a 3/4-inch floor flange from a hardware store for a few bucks, and tossed it in my "towing stuff" box. I set it on the board under the jack stem as the stem comes down, so that the stem comes down around the raised center portion of the metal flange. The board is protected from the sharp end of the pipe, and body of the flange spreads the load. Works great.

Bill
I am sure that was cheaper than one of these:

http://beta.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/...20&zmap=24041G
Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
hhoenig

For those of you using the wheel, be aware that they have been known to break away and collapse. I use to pull the TM out of the garage by hand, always keeping my foot by the wheel for steering. I will never do that again, I'll hook up to the TV. The wheel is used in the garage for final positioning only, and I am on the corner of the TM, not near the jack. Be careful.
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #15
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I am sure that was cheaper than one of these:

http://beta.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/...20&zmap=24041G
Ouch!! That's Pricey I Bought A Steel Foot At My Local Rv Shop Like The Picture And It Was Less Than $10.00
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This thread started with two independent topics - not a good idea. I have split it into two threads, one in Exterior, and one in Towing Rigs.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote