TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2002, 12:09 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Kitchen drawers

Hi, everyone -

We got tired of having to kneel on the floor to see into the kitchen cabinets. My knees won't do what they once would, and besides, it is dark and disorganized under there! So last weekend I decided to whomp up some drawers on nice self-closing roller slides. The picture shows the 5 drawers I installed, still in white primer before their final coat of paint. (I had intended to put drawers in all seven spaces, but the two floor-level spaces under and beside the stove are blocked by the wheel well.) The fronts are flush with the cabinet face frames, so the original cabinet doors close over them.

These aren't things of beauty, though they could have been if I had ever made a drawer before, and if I still had a bench saw or radial-arm saw. But they will look better when they are painted, they will help us find things, and best of all, they should eliminate the kneeling.

If anyone would like some info, sketches, and "lessons learned", let me know. It wasn't too tough or too expensive - and I could do it better the second time.

[Edit - see post #6 below for some misplaced details.]

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 02:04 AM   #2
Chris_Bauer

Default Re: Kitchen drawers

Bill, you're hired. I have a 2720SL too and I think you have done a superb job. When can you start??? ;D
Old 05-15-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
Gene

I bought wire basket drawers for to fit in our TM cabinets, from a department store. I can't remember which store. Advantage is that they are ready made and light weight.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:04 AM   #4
arknoah

Bill,

If you could share some of the details of your project, I would appreciate it. While I have still not started the screen door project, (sorry, Hal) I think I might be able to tackle this one with greater ease!
Old 05-20-2002, 05:17 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

The sketches and notes can be seen in my Album at http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru....php?albumid=9

Bill
Old 05-23-2002, 01:38 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Rick Newcomb has ridden to the rescue by offering to host the pics and notes on his excellent TrailManor site. I urge you to check out his entire site at http://home.comcast.net/~trailmanor/. There's some good stuff to be found there.

The info about the drawers - the original pic and some construction notes and plans - can be found at http://home.comcast.net/~trailmanor/kitch.htm.

Many thanks, Rick!

Bill
Old 09-13-2002, 02:29 PM   #7

I also used wire baskets in all the cabinets. We purchased ours from a local ratailer called the container store. I believe they even have a web site (not for sure), they can get a little pricey though. We went one step further though. The wardrobe cabinet is great but we were not going to use it for clothes, so it is now a pantry for food and non-perishables. I built a frame structure and anchored the baskets right to the frame.I constucted it from 2x4's, and left them free standing inside so as to not mark up the wood also no nail holes. The we put a rack that holds paper towels and foil on it onto the door face on the inside.
I will have photos of all our improvements at a later date, we are still improving...
Best wishes to all ... Kevin and Kelly Columbus,Ohio
2002 3124kb pulled with 97 Chevy Blazer 4by4
Old 02-24-2003, 05:58 AM   #8
jbowen

Love the sliding cabinet drawers. I like to line my shelves but not with contact paper. I cut floor linoleum to the size of the shelf or drawer. The last time I did this I backed the linoleum with No Bugs M'Lady shelf paper. It is easy to insert in the cabinets and drawers and easy to remove to clean.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Default Drawer! Dang, this is dragging up an old post

I know this has come up more recently than this but this is what I'm finding and I'm tired!

Bill, can't thank you enough for doing all the thinking for us! We just added 5 kitchen drawers, mostly following your great instructions. We also took your advice that followed your original post. Our dimensions were slightly different than yours so I'm glad we took your advice and verified before we started cutting.

The pictures pretty much speak for themselves. We did add one drawer over the back part of the wheel well and put bubble foil insulation on the wheel wells on both sides.

Malinda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0026.JPG
Views:	870
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	4194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0027.JPG
Views:	737
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	4195  
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)