TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2002, 09:53 AM   #1
KB7OUR

Default Fun TM projects...Where does it end?

This could be a fun thread. Feel free to add more or suggest methods/concepts.

Completed:

o Replaced plastic wire nuts with weatherproof ones:
Break away switch junction
Both wheel brakes (2 each)
o Caulked everywhere I could reach a seam
o Added AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio
o Had 3 wheels balanced
o Made a Battery Minder adapter that provides a secure and safe charge connection via the TM tow vehicle power cable
o Added vinyl propane tank cover (no room for a hard plastic one)
o Added 2nd 12-volt battery. Would need to lower battery rails to get 6-volt batteries to fit without interfering with front roof closure. Possible future project.
o Added Link 10 battery monitor in a 2” round opening to the left of the radio. Awaiting cable.
o Upgraded LP tanks to ones with a visual gauge
o Added mud dobber screen kit to cover both outside heater openings
o Added Max-Air kits to 3 roof vents
o Upgraded converter to very well filtered 7300 series
o Installed EQ hitch. Modified one bracket so that door side WD bar doesn’t interfere with bottom of swing-away hitch pin
o Built Hal’s “Hands Free Shower”
o Removed “.com” portion of graphic from rear stone guard
o Reinforced underside of large cabinet (across from bathroom door) to hold the weight of a microwave more securely
o Glued plastic knife safe inside wardrobe door (too tall for other locations)
o Glued small, lightweight, framed mirror to outside door of wardrobe cabinet. This is what happens when you have a wife and 2 girls.
o Trimmed shower curtain length and made cutout for Hal’s hands free shower. Hemmed bottom and weighted with “pennies”. No more stepping or sitting on the curtain.
o Mounted small CO detector a few feet from the smoke alarm.
o Replaced door side porch light bulb with an amber one.
o Glued small triangular bubble level to tongue (right in front of jack mount)
o Added PUR water filter to kitchen faucet
o Bought a hand dolly, which makes moving the TM around the driveway much easier.
o Cleaned up wiring here and there using black “UV proof” zip fasteners for a neater appearance

Future:

o Add wiring mod to provide AC power while closed
o Add fresh water "fill" mod to drain opening
o Add new “modern graphic” wallpaper border over the factory strips. Sorry, but I just don’t like that factory paper.
o Scotch Guard couch and 2 chairs
o Upgrade speakers to 2-way design
o Add AC/DC heater to holding tank
o Add heatproof brace to center of stove grate so it doesn’t sag with a heavy pot
o Upgrade air conditioner filter to electrostatic
o Add available air conditioner shroud brace
o Build Hal’s screen door project
o Build lightweight partitions to close off gap between top of bathroom walls and ceiling
o Mount a paper towel holder somewhere
o Vent front bathroom wall for better air circulation while still maintaining privacy
o Mount hi-tech atomic clock over front bed on center cabinet door (need to cut away some trim on the door panel)
o Install interior “rub strips” where the ceiling halves touch
o Replace all ceiling light bulbs with lower wattage ones to extend battery life
o More caulking underneath where frame meets floor
o Install deadbolt on upper door section
o Might replace water pump with a super quiet model
o Trim bathroom cabinet doors so they open fully
o Might add a bike rack to the rear bumper
o I’ll think of something to go here!
Old 12-04-2002, 11:49 AM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Fun TM projects...Where does it end?

Wade,

It sure sounds like you have been a busy guy since you took delivery of your new 3023 unit!!

I don't know if you belong to the Trailblazer's Club, but they are always looking for articles or suggestions from Trailmanor owners. Also, Trailmanor likes to hear suggestions regarding the trailers. It's things like what you have done to your unit that some day end up in the production of the Trailmanors.

You should try sending Trailmanor an e-mail. I ran across there address on a site. It's [email protected]. Carol, Keith or MIke Hulsey like to hear about your suggestions.

It sounds like you have made a lot of improvements that make your unit unique to you and your family!
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:18 PM   #3
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Wade

After thinking about our 2002 3326 King trailer, I counted up about 9 or 10 changes that I have done.

It's getting late, and I have to write out some checks and pay the bills. Maybe Thursday I'll have some extra time to reply with my changes.

Bob Strong
Old 12-04-2002, 02:55 PM   #4
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Wade,

Our lists look a lot alike!!  Only your completed list is much, much longer than mine.  :P

Please share the techniques for some of the things that you do, I am sure that I will find them helpful.  

I was thinking of mounting a VERY low profile paper towel holder to the bottom of the hanging cabinet, I know that I have seen very low profile chrome ones somewhere.

Keep up the great work!!

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 11:11 AM   #5
KB7OUR

Larry,

I'm afraid I can't take credit for many of the nifty "techniques" for the upgrades. Many of them were provided right here by many of our great members. You know who you are . Indeed you can find a low profile paper towel holder that will mount under the hanging wall cabinet and folds up just enough to sit the cabinet on the floor when towing. I did this with our previous 2720SL, but I had to secure an extra wood strip on the bottom inside of the cabinet so the screws from the holder could attach to something secure. This time I think I will use short light screws and heavy duty liquid nails to secure it to the bottom without having to add the brace inside. This is a pretty ideal location for the holder.

Wade
Old 12-05-2002, 12:02 PM   #6
Happytrails

Durn, just when I thought my plate was full.....drats Wade, why'd ya have to go do that! lol

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 12-05-2002, 01:02 PM   #7
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default .Re: Fun TM projects...Where does it end?

Wade,

I am ready to give everyone my list of changes to the 2002 3326 King trailer:

1.I bought 2 small pictures( no glass covers) and attached velcro to the backs and to the front wall .It looks like the 2 small pictures in the Trailmanor brochures. By the way they still are sticking real well!!!

2. I bought another picture at the Dollar store. It looks a lot like the ones that Trailmanor used to hang on the bathroom wall by the sink. The picture dresses up this area real nice. It looked bare without a picture.

3. As you go in the door, on the right side wall I added another nice picture. I am not picture crazy, but the  little extra adds a nice homey effect.

4.I built a simple base to set the hanging cabinet on while in transit. I used 2x2's for the sides. I used 2 firing strips attached to the bottom. Took little rubber stops and attached them to the corners so the cabinet would stay in place. Then I gave it a good coat of white paint. Now there is room for an under the cabinet plug in light. It's just like the ones you buy in a hardware. Also I solved the problem for the paper towel holder. The holder goes all the way to the back, and the light goes all the way forward. THe hanging cabinet sets on the base and the extra space needed for the hanging cabinet is there to use (2 inches almost of extra height).

Now you are wondering where I plug it in. In our 3326, there is a window over the sink so the cabinet hangs to the right of the window. I bought a bar strip and set it on the ledge in front of the sink. The cord is long enough to run into the bathroom and plug in under the sink.

5. Now with the bar strip, I plug in a night light which goes on and off by itself depending on the amount of light.

6.The paper towel holder was only a plastic one bought for a dollar at the Dollar General store. I used tiny screws to attach it to the base of the cabinet.

7.In the bathroom we replaced the vinyl shower curtain with the nice cloth type material. Drys real quickly and does not get brittle.

8.Took off the nozzle on the kitchen sink and bought another one that has a nice swivel so you can rinse out the sink.

9. Had a bypass put on the hot water tank to save on non toxic antifreeze.

10.Bought a little thermometer which will register inside & outside temperatures. It sits on the ledge by the refrig. The little wire fits under the flap. Now you know what the temp is real easy. It runs on a little battery and is very accurate.

11. Bought a color cover which sits on the stove top. Ours is a nice blue color and blends in with the counter top. The back has rubber attached so it does not slide arong when in transit. Since we always cook outside on the Coleman stove or use the microwave, we do not have to worry about moving it around. Gives you a lot of extra counter top space. Just look in Camping World and you can find several different kinds.

12. Wade mentioned about ScotchGuard for the furniture. I also Scotchguard the rugs after  shampooing them. Stops the dirt from getting ground into the carpets.

13. In Camping World, I bought color rugs to attach to the entrance steps. The rugs cut down on the dirt going into the trailer, and also the steps are not slippery when wet.

14. I had trouble with the furnace cover. It would contantlly vibrate loose. I drilled the holes a little bigger, and then used a bolt, nut and a lock washer. It sure solved the problem.

15. We bought Rubbermaide towel holders for the bathroom. They have bases which screw to the wall. The towel holders just slide down over the bases. You can fold the bathroom walls down and the bases do not interfere.

16. I made a cover for the vent in the bathroom on the side of the tub. Come September early October, a lot of cool air comes in through the opening. If it is real windy, you can feel it come in. I found styrofoam that is about 1/4 inch thick. I think they use it in packing because it bends easily. I attached strong pieces of velcro to the tub and to the styrofoam. When you want to use it, just velcro it on and it keeps out the cold. The styrofoam was white so it blended it with the wall covering on the tub.

17. We bought a nice spice rack which we attached to the side of the wardrobe. When taking down, the spice rack just slides off the hooks.

I hope I didn't bore everyone, but I did not hear of anyone doing these changes to their units!!If anyone has a question about any change, just let me  know.

Bob Strong
Old 12-06-2002, 11:24 AM   #8
KB7OUR

Bob, I was nearly drooling as I browsed your list   .
I need to spend some time going through it and definitely will use some of your techniques. Cool stuff!  ;D

Wade
Old 12-09-2002, 12:42 AM   #9
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

I wanted to share a small item that I recently picked up at Target, and once I get it installed I will let you know how it went.  Anyhow, I found electronic indoor/outdoor thermometers on clearance for $7.00 and I figured I will put the outdoor probe into the fridge (I will drill a small hole and back fill with silicone) and then I can monitor the inside temp of the fridge all the time as well as the ambient temp.

Bob, I love the cabinet cradle that you made, I will put that one on my list for sure. I was always worried that the hanging hook would mar the floor.

This is such a wonderful site.  I have seen references to Hal's Screen Door, but I can't find that anywhere...any help?

Happy Holidays everyone.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 02:57 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
This could be a fun thread. Feel free to add more or suggest methods/concepts.
Wade -

Your thread prompted me to jot down my list of mods. Like yours, it turned out to be longer than I expected.

DONE:

Installed a three-mode automatic battery charger from Guest Industries in the battery compartment at the rear. I mounted it on the wall above the battery, and brought the AC cord out through the compartment in the rear bumper, so I can plug it in without opening the TM. Keeps the battery perfectly charged forever.

Installed an aux AC cord to bring power to the converter and the refrig when the TM is closed. Automatic switchover - when the aux cord is plugged in, the converter and refrig automatically switch over to this source of power, but when it is unplugged, they automatically revert to the normal hookup through the 30-amp main cord.

Added a second fan to the refrig compartment. This one runs on AC, so when I plug in the aux power cord with the TM closed, this fan comes on.

Built and installed drawers on roller slides in the kitchen cabinets. My knees are much happier - so is my wife.

I have a thing about wanting to know what is happening to the battery at all times, so I installed two ammeters in the battery charge line. One can be seen from the outside of the TM when it is closed. The other is inside, mounted in the wall panel just to the right of the storage compartment under the rear bed.

Cut my 50-foot water hose into two pieces - 15-feet and 35-feet - and installed new fittings on the cut ends. The long length is there if I need it, but most of the time, I can just use the 15-foot piece. It is a lot easier to clean and coil than the 50 foot length.

Cut my 20-foot sewer hose into two pieces (10 and 10) and added an extension fitting to the cut ends. Lots easier to clean and stow a short length. I have never needed more than 10 feet of hose, but the extension to 20 feet is there if I do.

Added a support - another caster - under the center of the slideout floor. Denny A did the same thing, and his solution is much easier and simpler than mine.

Installed AM/FM/CD/CD-RW radio.

Added a paper towel holder above the kitchen sink. I got a couple of the WalMart plastic over-the-door hooks and screwed them to the back of a plastic paper towel holder. The thing hangs on the top of the bathroom wall - a little too high if you have children, I admit.

Glued a couple strips of velcro to the wall above the stove. Glued the other half of the velcro to the back of two multi-hook utensil hangers, again from WalMart. Now we hang pot holders, can opener, butane lighter, corkscrew, etc etc above the stove.

Cut down the shower curtain. Made Hal's hands-free shower holder. Added over-the-door (over the wall, actually) towel hooks in the bathroom.

The rubber plugs at the ends of the sewer hose storage compartment in the back bumper are incredibly hard to insert and remove. They also trap water in the compartment. I permanently removed the plug on the roadside end, then drilled two 1/8 inch holes, in line with each other, in the top and bottom of the compartment, 1/2 inch from the end. Now I shove the wet hose in there and drop a long skinny nail through the holes to keep the hose from coming out. LOTS easier.

On the slideout models, the propane tanks are horizontal and bolted in place. To remove/refill them, you have to remove the nuts from the bolt ends. I got tired of not being able to find the right size wrench when I needed it, so I clipped an open-end wrench of the proper size to the A-frame, right beside the tanks.

Rerouted the propane hose that leads from the regulator to the trailer-body connector. This hose originally hung down under the A-frame, the lowest thing above the road. Scary.

STILL TO DO

Lots more caulking

Install mud flaps on the tow vehicle. The amount of sand and salt and road crud that builds up on the front of the TM is incredible.

Build Oilspot's microwave stand/drawer to fill the space between the wardrobe and the stove.

Install an automatic safety switch in the power line to the electric water heater element, to prevent burnout.

Add the water tank fill-through-the-drain-line fitting.

Scotchguard everything!

Replace the outside shower head, which I allowed to freeze last week. Grrr!

Install low-drain fluorescent lights in place of one or two of the incandescent fixtures.

Install a flush cable TV fitting to the outside - the 2003 TM's have this, I understand.

Remount the light over the rear bed to see if this will prevent the switch from moving to the ON position while we travel.

You're right - there is no end!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote