TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2003, 02:59 AM   #1
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default ? Procedure when using a dump site

When you have full hook-ups it is easy to dump and rinse the toilet. But what about when you have to drive to a dump site? Obviously you are going to have to close down the TM to drive there.

Do you pull the toilet valve open at the floor, before you close down the TM, so it will be ready to drain when you drive up to the dump site?

Does the valve stay open?

If you are going home and not going to use the toilet for a month or more is it a good idea to rinse out the toilet to purge everything out? In that case you are going to have to open up the TM, rinse, empty the septic system at home, and dispose of it there right?
Otherwise you would have to open up the TM at the dump site which doesn't seem practical with a line of people behind you.

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:31 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re:  ? Procedure when using a dump site

You do have to open the valve at the base of the toilet before going to the dumping station, and it will stay open the entire time you drive home.  You might want to stop along the way to close it, if that makes you feel better.  The only times I have had to use the dumping station, I haven't worried about it.

If you want to clean out the toilet between trips, perhaps using one of the blue sewer totes at home after running some water or water with chemical through it is the way to go.  
Old 06-27-2003, 04:50 AM   #3
ColoradoCop

By all means, pull the handle prior to folding the TM.  My wife forgot to pull the handle once and after we thought we had fully dumped found out four days later (Mid Summer) that we had not actually dumped the holding tank.  You can imagine the beautiful smell that had permeated the entire camper when we reopened it.

I use the powder packs for my re-circulating toilet and have found that by dumping one into a empty bowl after having emptied the system leaves a fresh smell in the camper.  Thetford Envirochem Green has a fairly pleasant smell as compared to the harsh smell of the liquids.

Also, most dump stations have a water hose for rinsing out the sewer hose.  Use this water hose to spray down any spills that are on the ground.  The next RV'r will appreciate your courtesy.

ColoradoCop
Old 06-27-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
2619PDX

When we don't have full hookups, we pull the handle at the base of the toilet so that when we get to the dump station, we're ready to go.

I just close the valve at the base of the toilet when I get home. If you do notice some smell, just put in some of the chemical of choice... It should go away.

Gregg