TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Philip

Default Members Experience With WDH Hitch Designs

Hello Again Folks,

Back again with more questions!!

I am in the process of trying to determine which WDH to purchase. I will be towing a 2008 model 2720 TM with a 2005 Toyota 4Runner, V8, with a factory tow package. Most of my towing will be in the Rockies as I will be spending extended periods in the National Parks.

I have done my best to investigate the different designs but have no experience with any WDH's. I know most members feel that sway control on the TM is not necessary, however, I am leaning toward getting it anyway as a measure of added security. I am also leaning toward one of the three following WDH designs: 1. Reese "Straight Line Weight Distribution System" which includes their Dual Cam Sway Control. 2. Equal-i-zer Hitch. 3. Eaz-Lift "Pro Star Ultra" with sway control included.

I would appreciate any members comments on the long term performance of their WDH's and if they think there is ANY benifit to sway control for a TM. Also, any comments on the three WDH's I am leaning toward would be of much interest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We use a Reese but it doesn't have sway control. I've used the same rig since 2001 on two different vehicles and have never had a lick of trouble. I have 1000 lb spring bars, which I have heard may be too much, but have not seen a big driver for changing them.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
bfezel

I tow a 3124KS with a Tundra and use the Reese WDH with 1,000 lb bars. No sway control is needed with this setup. Everything is smooth as silk - uphill, downhill, cross winds, etc.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

When we got our TM 6 years ago, I too wanted to cover the possibility of sway and bought the Equal-i-zer hitch from http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...0-00-1000.html

The only complaint I have is that the 62 pound hitch head seems to be getting heavier and heavier. Since sway does not appear to be a problem, I am considering changing to a hitch that does WD only, but does not weigh as much.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Redhawk

I use a Reese Pro series with 1000 lb bars, the hitch head has the option of adding sway control if needed. Perhaps that would be an option. I haven't seen anybody (except maybe one of the Elkmont owners) say they need/use sway control.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Reese Pro, 800# bars, no sway, no issues
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
ib4classics

We have a 6 year old Eaz-Lift with 1000 lb bars and sway control, TV, 2008 4 Runner V8.
We really needed and used the sway control with our previous Layton 190 LT.
With the 3023 TM, no sway control is needed, tracks great, no problem with big rigs and curvy interstate mountain roads at 60mph tows like it's not there.
I used to get out and disconnect the sway control for final tight backing situations, now, I only disconnect the electric connection so I don't have the trailer brake drag to deal with while backing.
Best of luck, I think you are going to love the 4 Runner V8, I have been following your thread and know you did a lot of research and checking TV's.
John
Old 08-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have a Reese WDH with bars that are heavier than they need to be. The bars have the little dipsy doodle bend in their ends. The bend allows you at any time to add the parts that provide dual cam sway control if needed. I never needed sway control, never bought the parts, you may save some money by not buying those parts.

The conclusion reached by this board seems to be that 800 or 1000 pound bars are good, round bars or rectangular bars (also known as trunnion bars) are good, and the hitch should have two bars, not one. General agreement seems to be that 600 pound bars are too light (at least one member reported squirrely ahndling with 600 pound bars), and 1200 pound bars are heavier than needed.

Reese and Draw-Tite seem to be clones these days, and both build excellent hitches with excellent usage reports. They are as inexpensive as any WDH. I see no need to pay very much more.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Philip

Default Thank, again for your information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4classics View Post
We have a 6 year old Eaz-Lift with 1000 lb bars and sway control, TV, 2008 4 Runner V8.
We really needed and used the sway control with our previous Layton 190 LT.
With the 3023 TM, no sway control is needed, tracks great, no problem with big rigs and curvy interstate mountain roads at 60mph tows like it's not there.
I used to get out and disconnect the sway control for final tight backing situations, now, I only disconnect the electric connection so I don't have the trailer brake drag to deal with while backing.
Best of luck, I think you are going to love the 4 Runner V8, I have been following your thread and know you did a lot of research and checking TV's.
John
Once again I want to thank you for the information. I gather you just removed the sway control hardware from your WDH and found no difference in handling the TM without sway control. Do you feel sway control could provide any benifit in an emergency situation where you have to swerve swiftly to avoid something? I have no feel for effect of sway control in this situation.

Also, have you ever had the chance to check MPG on your 4Runner while towing and not towing. Always curious as to what MPG I could expect since I just purchased my 4Runner a week ago. It is a 2005 with 43,000 miles on it - a one owner vehicle. About how many miles have you towed with your 4Runner?

I know - Questions, Questions(LOL!), but hey, how are we to learn?

Take care,

Phil
Old 08-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Philip

Default Once Again I Appreciate The Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have a Reese WDH with bars that are heavier than they need to be. The bars have the little dipsy doodle bend in their ends. The bend allows you at any time to add the parts that provide dual cam sway control if needed. I never needed sway control, never bought the parts, you may save some money by not buying those parts.

The conclusion reached by this board seems to be that 800 or 1000 pound bars are good, round bars or rectangular bars (also known as trunnion bars) are good, and the hitch should have two bars, not one. General agreement seems to be that 600 pound bars are too light (at least one member reported squirrely ahndling with 600 pound bars), and 1200 pound bars are heavier than needed.

Reese and Draw-Tite seem to be clones these days, and both build excellent hitches with excellent usage reports. They are as inexpensive as any WDH. I see no need to pay very much more.

Bill
Bill,

After your comments and RedHawks I am leaning toward getting a Reese WDH without sway control. If I did I would probably get the one with Trunnion bars that would allow addition of sway control(dual cam type) in the future if ever needed. I prefer the Trunnion bars over the round bars since it appears they have a higher profile and give a bit more ground clearance. Unfortunately Trunnion bars only come in 800 & 1200 lb. bars. Since I would prefer something over 800 lb., I may be forced into the 1200 lb. bars which are overkill. Compromises, compromises - life is full of compromises!!

Also, do you think that sway control would provide any benifit during a swift swerve turn to avoid something? No experience here!!

As always, your assistance is appreciated as is everyones.

Take care,

Phil