TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
larroni

Thanks everyone, all this information is a biggggggg help. Haven't bought a TM yet and now wondering if not such a good move. Can't buy a bigger truck, could barely afford the Dakota so it's gonna be at our house for a very long time. May have to go back to pop up camping, but that was when we were younger and in better shape. haha Guess all of us who can't afford big rigs are out of luck when it comes to TM towing. Wish TrailManor Website wouldn't advertise them as being easy to tow with smaller TV. You folks here have opened my eyes to fact that we might just have to walk away from the thought of owning a TM. Take care and happy camping.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Redhawk

Roni, I think we may have scared you with too much info. Unless you drive up and down the Rocky Mtns every camping trip, and if you use a WDH, I think you will be surprised how easily the TM's tow. Your Dakota would be fine from what I have seen.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
LizarooK

We tow our 2720Sl with a 2003 Dakota V8 with no problem. We do not have a WDH. There is no sag at the hitch and no sway on the road. My husband never feels the TM behind us.
LizarooK
Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
larroni

Thank you again for all your replies. I am still nervous about buying a TM, seems like the only TV really dependable are the big rigs, not us smaller guys. Wish TrailManor was more honest, they lead you to believe you can tow any size TM with just about any TV. If if weren't for your replies to my questions my husband and I would be clueless about towing a TM with our Dakota. Well, we will have to give it some serious consideration, really wanted a TM but now not so sure. Thanks to all, Roni
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larroni View Post
Thank you for your replies to my question about our Dakota. They were all a big help and yes, I got GVTW mixed up with GCWR, but you figured out what I was trying to say. haha The first thing we probably should do if we purchase a TM is get a WDH, expensive but well worth it. Right now we have towing package that came with the truck, hitch pulls 5000lbs. I have read here that some TM owners did not use WDH at first but later added for better control, so probably best to start out right than to end up being sorry. The fellow at the hitch place said we didn't need one but I would rather listen to you TM owners since I feel you know better what it's like towing a TM with and without the WDH. I was hoping I would find someone here with the same Dakota we have but think harveyrv's V6 Chevy S10 might be similiar, not 100% sure though. Looks like harveyrv tows a 2420 and Redhawk tows a 2619 so I am still concerned about the 3023 but Redhawk did say a TM owner camped next to them had a 3024 and pulled with a Highlander so guess our Dakota might do ok towing that size. If we go look at the 3023 we have an interest in we will have to hook it up and take for a drive and see how it feels, I guess the only way we are going to be able to get some idea how the Dakota performs while towing it. Thank you again Nature Recorder, harvyrv, Redhawk and PopBeavers for your replies. I love this sight and if and when we buy a TM I plan to become a member. I just hope my guest priviledges don't run too soon, I will miss checking this sight for information and looking for used TMs for sale. Thanks again, Roni
larroni,

The "2420" in my signature line is a little tongue-in-cheek humor. I have a 2720 (they actually measure to 24" fully opened).

Anyway.....as you may or may not have read. We just bought a Chevy Silverado V8. I just want to clarify that the S10 (Similar to your Durango only lighter) does a good job of towing the TM 2720. I wouldn't go any bigger, that's for sure and we had to watch what we brought.

Our biggest reason for buying the new truck was so that the grandkids would have a place to ride in our TV and we wouldn't have to bring 2 cars when they came with us.

I think that I would feel comfortable towing a 2720 with your Durango. However, I live and tow (Mostly) on flatland. If I lived in the mountains, I may feel differently.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
larroni

Oops, didn't see the second page and thought my reply from this morning hadn't been posted. Thank you Redhawk and Lizarook, you both made me feel much better. We have a 3023 TM we are really intersted in but we were about to tell him never mind. But thanks to what I just read I think we might be ok if we get the WDH put on the Dakota. Thanks again to everyone who responded. Now have the wood rot issue to keep me awake nights. haha Happy Camping, Roni
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
robertkennel

Be patient and maybe a 2619 or 2720,SL,or SD might come up for sale. Then you might feel more comfortable with the weight. I tow with a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, a 2720SL and I wouldn't want to tow anything bigger. I wouldn't want to tow it with my wifes 2007 Highlander unless I was really forced to. Towing within manufacturer limits is legal but your margin of safety is reduced and you'll be going up the big hills right behind the big rigs, 20mph. I used to have a fire truck as a hobby vehicle and it weighed 39,000 pnds on two axles. I've driven big vehicles before so it's not like I'm some person who is scared of driving loaded vehicles. You have to be comfortable or you won't enjoy it. Towing one first will really let you know if you are comfortable with your choice. Of course verify your tow rating before towing any trailer to find out exactly what YOUR vehicle can tow and the loads it can handle legally and safely. Take your time and good luck Robert
Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #18
lnussbau

Before my F-150 I towed with an Explorer Sport Trac, and it did just fine except going up steep grades in the Rockies, where I worried a bit about the transmission (just worried, never had a problem) getting overheated. Actually, it pulled fine at about 30 mph and 4,000 RPM in first gear, even up Rabbit Ears Pass, but I wasn't happy about that. So I got the F-150 for my peace of mind (and to haul a few extra things in the truck bed).

I know a couple who have used a Dakota for towing for quite some time, and it seems to work well for them, even in the Rockies. I'm not certain you'll even need a WDH, though a lot depends on the particular vehicle equippage and the way you load it.

So IMHO you'll be OK getting that TM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #19
larroni

Thank you for all the lasted replies, starting to feel much better about this. We plan to camp in the Smoky Mountains area but will find campground at bottom and unhook TM before we go exploring the mountains. Hope to make it to Grand Canyon one day but will try to do the same, campground at bottom, unhook and then go see the Canyon. Thanks again everyone, this may just work out after all. Roni
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #20
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by larroni View Post
Thank you for all the lasted replies, starting to feel much better about this. We plan to camp in the Smoky Mountains area but will find campground at bottom and unhook TM before we go exploring the mountains. Hope to make it to Grand Canyon one day but will try to do the same, campground at bottom, unhook and then go see the Canyon. Thanks again everyone, this may just work out after all. Roni
Roni, didn't mean to scare you. Many of us are pretty much in the same boat, as my Astro is rated at 5000 lbs as well. My recommendations to you are merely what I have already done with my TV.
If you are patient and use your head, you can tow the TM for years using the Dakota. Just don't aim too high (no pun intended) right now.
If you are coming in from the east, the main campground in the Smoky Mountain NP is around 1100 ft. From the west, I think it's probably about the same. As you say, you dump the TM at these lower levels and go about your business at the higher levels with the TV. Just don't plan to go over the mountain with the TM and you'll be fine.
I think you may need to have more experience with the Dakota/TM combination before planning a Grand Canyon type of trip. Be aware of elevation of your destination, and if there are any steep inclines on the way.
Also, don't simply think that the NPs are the only parks worth visiting. Many states have fantastic State Parks that are well worth the time to visit. Many of these SPs don't have the demands on your TV as some of the large NPs have, and of course they tend to be closer to home.
Our plan is to eventually upgrade our TV once we would get to retirement age and can then start taking those 4-6 week trips to see the "big parks". For now though, the Astro (and your Dakota) will work just fine and offer years of sensible TM camping.