TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
ib4classics

Default New Tires

I have read the 21 pages of info. on tires TWICE !
I have been towing some kind of trailer, boat,camper, car dolly, since the 70's and never even had a flat.
I never considered what tires were on what veh. or how old they were if the tread was good.
Now I know I need to replace the tires on my 2006, 3023, I checked the DOT stamp and they were made in 2005.
The original owner put less than 1000 miles on these tires but I now understand the age factor, both for the tires and ME!
I am told that the Goodyear Marathon, which I currently have and Carlisle are the only brand manufactured in the U.S..
I need information on tires members have put on recently AND put some miles on them loaded and ask about their satisfaction.
Our choices really seem limited to me.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As you have read, I have been perfectly satisfied with my 15" Marathons, with steel valve stems.

At least some of the failures that many of us have seen might have been due to faulty Chinese valve stems. No way to be sure.

TM discontinued use of Carlisle tires in about 2000. Too many unexplained failures.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
ib4classics

Default Tires

Thanks Bill, I did pay particular attention to your recent trip with the Marathons.
I have been in contact with WMWIRE also, so my plan is to buy new 15" Marathons to replace my current 15" Marathons, (nearly 5 years old) and have the metal valve stems installed.
My old trailer a 2000 Layton 190 LT (currently for sale) still has its original
GY Marathon 205/75R14 B on it.
Never had a tire failure, the tires wore evenly and still have good tread, BUT
they are way too old and not safe and that is what I am telling prospective buyers.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4classics View Post
I am told that the Goodyear Marathon, which I currently have and Carlisle are the only brand manufactured in the U.S..
John, these are U.S. tire companies, but marathons are not made here. Just check the DOT code on the sidewall. The first 2 letter/digits will be a code that tells who/where the tire was made.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
SCBillandJane

Last year I bought a set of Denman tires for my 3124KS because they were my only option except for Marathons. I had never heard of that brand, but I had heard of the Marathon's poor reputation. In the 18 months we traveled from Tampa, Fla., to Alaska, to Washington State, to Key West Fla., to Myrtle Beach SC, To Panama City Fla. and back to Greenville SC. on diffferent trips. They have kept their pressure very well, and we have had no trouble in over 20,000 miles. They don't show any significant signs of wear. Good luck with your choice.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
ib4classics

I went ahead and bought the Marathons, 225 75R 15 D. I had the tires and wheels balanced and had the metal valve stems installed.
I am sure the TM will travel better now with balanced tires.
Curious thing about the tire company, the sales person came to me in the waiting room and asked if I was sure I wanted new tires, the old ones looked new, and they did.
I told him they were 5 years old and except for 3 or 4 short trips the first year the TM was parked in a 40x60 garage, in one spot, on concrete and I had some very good suggestions from folks I trust that it was the safest and best thing to start with new tires.
On another note on the tires, when I removed the spare form the under trailer carrying rack toward the front, I found 4 deep impressions left from the the rack.
I wonder if this is of concern
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The first 2 letter/digits will be a code that tells who/where the tire was made.
Happen To Know The Codes??
Old 07-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
ColdFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4classics View Post
On another note on the tires, when I removed the spare form the under trailer carrying rack toward the front, I found 4 deep impressions left from the the rack.
I wonder if this is of concern
This season I was unfortunate (maybe fortunate!) enough to have two broken valve stems on my 3023, though not quite at the same time. I changed them both out myself, but in the interim, I pulled out the spare and noticed that I also have 4 very deep impressions. I put it on while I was airing up the other tire at the gas station, and it was fine, but I am concerned about whether it's compromised the structure of the tire at all.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
Happen To Know The Codes??
Yep. I got a book that tells them, but the internet does too. Try the link below. Let me know if your code isn't listed.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm
Old 07-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #10
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
John, these are U.S. tire companies, but marathons are not made here. Just check the DOT code on the sidewall. The first 2 letter/digits will be a code that tells who/where the tire was made.
I Will Check On The Dot Codes Tomorrow, But I Just Had My 15" Marathons Mounted Yesterday, The Old 14" Marathons State "Made In China" Right On The Sidewall.

The New, Made 17th Week Of 2009 15" Marathons I Received State "Made In The USA" On The Sidewall.