TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Redhawk

Default Can't find GCWR rating for '08 Highlander...

Anyone know where I can get this info? Not in the manual or web site.
'08 Highlander with Tow Package.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
kenngeri2720

It should be on the drivers door frame on the information placard.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
sharoden

check here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...cle/gcwr37.htm
Old 07-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Redhawk

All I find in the door jam is the GVWC, which is 6100 lbs. The web site linked above is one of the things that confused me to begin with, and i think it is wrong. It lists towing capacity for a 08 highlander as 2000 lbs, it should be 3500/5000. (depending on if the tow package is installed) And it lists the GCWC as 6125 (or something like that. It also lists the Hybird capacities as being higher then the standard Highlander, which I also think is wrong. Thus my confusion. Maybe they got the 2 switched????
The help is appreciated though....
Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
All I find in the door jam is the GVWC, which is 6100 lbs. The web site linked above is one of the things that confused me to begin with, and i think it is wrong. It lists towing capacity for a 08 highlander as 2000 lbs, it should be 3500/5000. (depending on if the tow package is installed) And it lists the GCWC as 6125 (or something like that. It also lists the Hybird capacities as being higher then the standard Highlander, which I also think is wrong. Thus my confusion. Maybe they got the 2 switched????
The help is appreciated though....
The ONLY way that you can be sure of the GCWR on YOUR vehicle is to contact the Dealer or factory with YOUR Veh Identification Code (VIN). They will be able to give you the exact build figures for your particular vehicle. It should never be assumed that your vehicle is equipped exactly like any similar vehicle of the same year and model.

When dealers order vehicles from the factory, sometimes they order "Special Packages" that the manufacturer is offering at the moment and sometimes the dealer will choose options on his own. If you did not custom order the vehicle yourself, you really have no way of knowing what you have unless you have the original window sticker from when the vehicle was delivered. BTW....the original selling dealer should have that sticker on file.

Most American vehicles have a "BUILD STICKER" in the glove box (I don't know about Toyota).

Here is what Cars.com shows for a 4dr Front-wheel Drive Base V6:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...8&aff=national
Curb weight 3,979 lbs.
GVWR 5,800 lbs.
Payload 1,821 lbs.
Towing capacity 2,000 lbs.
They don't list the GCWR

My gut feeling is that the figure that you found on your door jamb may well be the GCWR (please check it again). You called it "GVWC" and that makes no sense either, unless they are labeling it "Gross Vehicle Weight Combined".. If the GCWR is 6100 that makes sense with all of the figures above. A GVWR of 6100# makes no sense at all.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

It takes a long time rummaging around the Toyota web site to find anything related to the question. Not a good sign. And granted, this is the 2009 web site, not the 2008. But I finally arrived at
http://www.toyota.com/sienna/options.html
which says the tow rating is 3500 pounds. But there is the inevitable asterisk (Toyota owners often deny its existence) saying
"The maximum you can tow depends on the total weight of any cargo, occupants and available equipment."
After much MUCH discussion on this forum, it seems that this warning translates to "you can tow 3500 pounds of trailer in the low altitude flatlands, provided you don't put any options, occupants (other than the driver), or cargo in your Sienna."

Having said that, let me also say there are Sienna owners on this board who will certainly relate their experiences, and some of them are good. As always, the first question is "Where do you intend to tow?" And let me also say that your desire to find the GCWR, and HarveyRV's comments, are a very good way to proceed.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

After digging around on the cars.com site I found the "Available Option":
---------------------------------------
Towing Prep Package
Includes 5,000-lb. towing capacity, heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, transmission oil cooler with water cooler, 150-amp alternator and prewired harness.
---------------------------------------

It was hard to find and I could only bring it up if I was in the 3.5L engine vehicle.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
It takes a long time rummaging around the Toyota web site to find anything related to the question. Not a good sign. And granted, this is the 2009 web site, not the 2008. But I finally arrived at
http://www.toyota.com/sienna/options.html
which says the tow rating is 3500 pounds. But there is the inevitable asterisk (Toyota owners often deny its existence) saying
"The maximum you can tow depends on the total weight of any cargo, occupants and available equipment."
After much MUCH discussion on this forum, it seems that this warning translates to "you can tow 3500 pounds of trailer in the low altitude flatlands, provided you don't put any options, occupants (other than the driver), or cargo in your Sienna."

Having said that, let me also say there are Sienna owners on this board who will certainly relate their experiences, and some of them are good. As always, the first question is "Where do you intend to tow?" And let me also say that your desire to find the GCWR, and HarveyRV's comments, are a very good way to proceed.

Bill
Bill, He has a highlander, not a Sienna.

I built the biggest, meanest Highlander with tow package that I could from that site. The highest tow rating that I could come up with (2009 Highlander) was 2000# std/5000# max. When it says, MAX, it means including all passengers, cargo, and fuel. (please keep in mind, that is not redhawk's vehicle)
Old 07-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Redhawk

Wayne, my mistake, I meant GVWR is 6000 lbs. The towing limit on the Sport Highlander is 3500 lbs, OR 5000 lbs WITH the towing package according to the manual. But the web site says 2000/5000. No GCWR rating from Toyota, and few numbers jive. I do still have the window sticker. I'll call the dealer and see what they say, but I'll be real surprised if they are any help. I'll also ask the experts in the Toyota Forums. thanks for the effort guys!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Wayne, my mistake, I meant GVWR is 6000 lbs. The towing limit on the Sport Highlander is 3500 lbs, OR 5000 lbs WITH the towing package according to the manual. But the web site says 2000/5000. No GCWR rating from Toyota, and few numbers jive. I do still have the window sticker. I'll call the dealer and see what they say, but I'll be real surprised if they are any help. I'll also ask the experts in the Toyota Forums. thanks for the effort guys!
If you still have the window sticker, does it list "Tow Package"????

If it doesn't, it's pretty clear that the tow rating is 2000# or if your manual says 3500#, that's it. If it has a "Tow Package" the rating seems to be 5000#.

Any way that you cut it, if the vehicle has a Tow Package, you will be cutting it VERY close, depending on the weight of your passengers, cargo and fuel. No matter what, you still need to find the GCWR. The manufacturer is required by law to give you that. The fact that it is so hard to find would make me feel a little uncomfortable.

If you do not have the Tow Package, I would think twice about towing a TM with that vehicle.