TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Tuscany Bandit

Default McKesh Mirrors

If anyone is thinking of buying McKesh mirrors for their tow vehicle, for what it's worth, here is my opinion:

I purchased a set about two months ago and used them for the first last week during a 5 day 400 mile camping trip to the Southern Sierra Mountains.

I am happy to report that they worked GREAT! Easy to attach, gave a good view around both sides, both lanes, and behind the TrailManor. Vibration was VERY little and did not hamper the view at all. Once they were attached I never had to retighten during the whole trip. I experienced NO wind noise while driving up to 65 mph. When I got home it took all of about 5 seconds to remove each one.

I'm a Happy Camper!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm glad you've had a good experience. As I've posted here before, I love mine.

One thing to watch out for, though. If the nylon straps get good and wet, they stretch and loosen. On several occasions I've been driving along, in or after a rainstorm, and wondered what the funny clunking sound was. Stop to investigate, and find that the straps had stretched to the point where the door-bottom hook had slipped off and was swinging in the wind. Even with the strap off, the mirror never moved, so I couldn't tell. Put the hook back on, tighten it up, and I'm good to go. FWIW, I don't loosen the strap again after it dries out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Jerry - I have the Eagle Vision mirrors from Camping World. They are McKesh clones. I like them and agree with your assessment as well as Bill's. However, I did find that they are a little time consuming to attach and adjust - particularly the first time. I use a set of Tow-N-See mirrors to pick up the TM from the storage lot and for short trips just be cause they are so easy to attach and adjust. I use the Eagle Vision mirrors for any longer trip - both distance and duration. Just my .02.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
One thing to watch out for, though. If the nylon straps get good and wet, they stretch and loosen.
For me, the wet straps make themselves known as a loud humming noise just outside the door....kinda like a king-sized bumblebee cruising around. I just roll down the window, being careful not to get soaked at 60 MPH, and tighten up the strap one or two clicks. That kills the noise.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany Bandit View Post
If anyone is thinking of buying McKesh mirrors for their tow vehicle, for what it's worth, here is my opinion:

I purchased a set about two months ago and used them for the first last week during a 5 day 400 mile camping trip to the Southern Sierra Mountains.

I am happy to report that they worked GREAT! Easy to attach, gave a good view around both sides, both lanes, and behind the TrailManor. Vibration was VERY little and did not hamper the view at all. Once they were attached I never had to retighten during the whole trip. I experienced NO wind noise while driving up to 65 mph. When I got home it took all of about 5 seconds to remove each one.

I'm a Happy Camper!

Shame on you---you kow the speed limit in CA is 55 pulling a trailer. But I cheat also I try to make it 57 so I don't block too much traffic at the on ane off ramps. LOL
Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Tuscany Bandit

It rained just about every day while there and the straps got wet, but they did not cause ANY problem while unhitched on a 60 mile sight seeing and geocaching hunt in the remote back country (9,000 feet), even while wet on the way home they stayed tight with no noise....could be just the good fit on the Tundra?

I drive at 60 mph and only at 65mph while passing.

Yes, it took awhile to adjust the first time I installed in mirrors, but it was easy.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
ronanderson

I also think the Mckesh mirrors are great. Maybe it is a tundra thing for they fit my tundra very well and only take a few minutes to put on or take off.