TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default Weight Distribution Hitch??

After reading all the posts on WDHs, I've decided to buy one......I'm not sure why. My rig seems to handle pretty well...guess I'm running out of things to buy. I just want to be sure that I don't buy something that I may regret later.........ANY and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Anyway, I thought that I would like to get some opinions from you guys that use them. I found this one on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WEIGH...1%7C240%3A1318

Anyone have any thoughts???

My TrailManor is about 4,000# loaded, tongue wt 450#. I typically put about 350# of gear in the back of the truck (including the camper shell). I have air bags on the leaf springs and air shocks:eyecrazy:.........leveling is not an issue. Braking is my main concern. It's not been an issue up to now but it only takes once....

I tow with a Chevy S-10 specs below
-----------------------------------
Curb weight 3,198 lbs.
GVWR 4,400 lbs.
Front GAWR 2,500 lbs.
Rear GAWR 2,300 lbs.
Payload 1,202 lbs.
Front axle capacity 2,500 lbs.
Rear axle capacity 2,900 lbs.
Front spring rating 2,500 lbs.
Rear spring rating 2,700 lbs.
Towing capacity 6,400 lbs.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think you've got a winner. As I recall, RockyMtnRay started with 600-pound springbars, and was not pleased - too springy, I think. I have a 1200-pound hitch, which is clearly overkill. It is what the dealer happened to have in stock on the day I picked up my TM back in 2001, and he had made a mad rush to accommodate my schedule. And one of our members - Lars, I think - has pointed out the enormous strain that a too-stiff hitch puts on the frame of the vehicle when you drive through a ditch or a swale.

Consensus on this board seems to be that 800 or 1000 pound bars are just right for any model TM. And $180 including shipping is a good price. The only question is whether you have a swing tongue - then springbar length may enter the equation.

One question. The text of the eBay ad mentions "straight bars", which agrees with the picture. But it also says "dual sway control". I can't speak for sure, but I thought that dual cam sway control implied bent tips on the bars - it certainly does on Reese and DrawTite hitches. Do you care about adding dual cam sway control? Probably not. By the way, the text of this ad was taken from an ad on Amazon.com, which also mentions "dual sway control". I can't find a reference to sway control any other place, although I do find some pictures that seem to have a separate friction sway control as part of the kit.

So otherwise, go for it!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

That is the same seller I purchased from last year accept we bought a Eaz-Lift.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I think you've got a winner. As I recall, RockyMtnRay started with 600-pound springbars, and was not pleased - too springy, I think. I have a 1200-pound hitch, which is clearly overkill. It is what the dealer happened to have in stock on the day I picked up my TM back in 2001, and he had made a mad rush to accommodate my schedule. And one of our members - Lars, I think - has pointed out the enormous strain that a too-stiff hitch puts on the frame of the vehicle when you drive through a ditch or a swale.

Consensus on this board seems to be that 800 or 1000 pound bars are just right for any model TM. And $180 including shipping is a good price. The only question is whether you have a swing tongue - then springbar length may enter the equation.

One question. The text of the eBay ad mentions "straight bars", which agrees with the picture. But it also says "dual sway control". I can't speak for sure, but I thought that dual cam sway control implied bent tips on the bars - it certainly does on Reese and DrawTite hitches. Do you care about adding dual cam sway control? Probably not. By the way, the text of this ad was taken from an ad on Amazon.com, which also mentions "dual sway control". I can't find a reference to sway control any other place, although I do find some pictures that seem to have a separate friction sway control as part of the kit.

So otherwise, go for it!

Bill
The auction states, "Dual sway control capability" and you are right. I don't care about the sway control. I've driven in heavy wind and never had an issue.

My main thing is being able to stop that thing in a panic stop. As you can see in my specs, my curb wt is only 3200#. My total load, including trailer, passengers, cargo and fuel is about 8,000#. That's over double my curb weight and my GVW is pretty maxed out. I'd hate like hell to get in an accident that I may have avoided by simply installing a WDH.

I have over=sized tires and HD Carbon-Metallic brakes on the vehicle but I can see where that won't help if I lack weight on the front axle. I haven't had a panic stop yet but like I said....."It only takes once".
Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

I misinterpeted the ad. The ad says "dual sway control capability". I read it as "dual cam sway control capability". As I thought, dual cam sway control requires bent tips on the springbars. However, I finally found a decent picture of this hitch, and "dual sway control" is something much simpler. It simply means the ability to accept a pair of friction sway control bars. RockyMtnRay presented a good discussion of the difference in his article in the Technical Library called Trailer Sway and Sway Control.

Wayne, as you pointed out, you don't need sway control, so of course you don't need to be concerned about the issue on this hitch.

Bill
Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

OK........I found an EAZ Lift 1000# WDH including sway bar on craigslist. It's "Like New" (literally) and I picked it up for $150. I figured, for that little, it's worth giving it a try to see how it works.

I installed it (took about 10 minutes) and took the rig for a test drive. I immediately noticed a difference in the way that the truck felt. I can go over dips without noticing as much difference as before.

I tried a hard stop from 50MPH and was shocked that my front wheels skidded (note that I have never done this before). However, I then removed the spring bars and tried the same panic stop, in exactly the same speed and place. The skid was worse and I lost steering. I sorta hate to open the TM now. I hope everything isn't upside down in there, as I normally don't drive like that.

I will follow up in a few weeks after we complete our next camping trip.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Well done, Wayne. You've discovered as couple reasons why a WDH is a good thing, even if you THINK you could get away without one.

When you crank up the springbars, how did you decide how many chain links to crank it up to? Did you do the measure-the-drop-in-the-front, measure-the-drop-in-the-rear technique (I recommend it)? I'm disappointed that the front wheels locked up. A bit more weight on them would keep them turning.

Your picture suggests that you got a friction sway control with the package. As you noted earlier, you probably don't need it, so you can CraigsList it and recoup some of your purchase price.

Nice work!

Bill
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Scott O

Someone on this list posted an excellent tutorial on adjusting a WDH. If no one can point you to it or you can't find it, let me know and I'll scan you a copy.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I think this is the one I know it was well written to me at least.

Bill's Tutorial for Weight Distribution Hitch setup

2008 3023

Old 06-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
OK........I found an EAZ Lift 1000# WDH including sway bar on craigslist. It's "Like New" (literally) and I picked it up for $150. I figured, for that little, it's worth giving it a try to see how it works.
Looks like a decent deal I forget what we paid for ours.

Quote:
I installed it (took about 10 minutes) and took the rig for a test drive. I immediately noticed a difference in the way that the truck felt. I can go over dips without noticing as much difference as before.

We only drove one time without but we noticed the front end wasn't up in the air like it was on the way home after buying.

Quote:
I tried a hard stop from 50MPH and was shocked that my front wheels skidded (note that I have never done this before). However, I then removed the spring bars and tried the same panic stop, in exactly the same speed and place. The skid was worse and I lost steering. I sorta hate to open the TM now. I hope everything isn't upside down in there, as I normally don't drive like that.

May not be upside down but it sure is towards the front if it isn't bolted down LOL. WOW I never even thought of trying to loose control on purpose ROFL Good info though

Quote:
I will follow up in a few weeks after we complete our next camping trip.

It will be a testament to build quality if your TM holds up to your test LOL just picking on you!!!

2008 3023