TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Portable Air Compressor (Still)

I have found a portable air compressor that I like. It does not plug into a cigarette lighter type socket; it has clamp connectors that connect directly to a battery. Problem is that it will not reach from my TV battery all the way back to my TM's tires. Is there any reason why I could not run it off of the TM battery as long as the TM is plugged in to my TV and the TV is running?

Thanks.

WWG
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWG View Post
I have found a portable air compressor that I like. It does not plug into a cigarette lighter type socket; it has clamp connectors that connect directly to a battery. Problem is that it will not reach from my TV battery all the way back to my TM's tires. Is there any reason why I could not run it off of the TM battery as long as the TM is plugged in to my TV and the TV is running?

Thanks.

WWG
No reason at all that you couldn't use the camper battery.. Although you would get more voltage (thus more power from the compressor) hooking directly to the TV battery with the engine running.

You will get 13.8V if you use the TV battery (engine running). The best that you could hope for using your camper battery is about 12.6V (with the compressor running). Even if the TV engine is running. The voltage drop from your TV back to your batteries is significant and would not be nearly as effective.

Try it both ways. Just pull the TV close to the tires and hook up the compressor. Then do it the other way, with the trailer plugged into the TV. I can assure you that you will hear a dramatic difference in how fast the compressor pump runs.

The other alternative would be to run jumper cables from the TV back to the compressor's power clamps. You would have to use caution that the clamps don't touch each other..........it could get quite exciting......
Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
larsdennert

Or get a longer air hose. I have a really long hose because my compressor is mounted under the front bumper and I need to reach the TM wheels while hooked up.

If the compressor doesn't have a pressure switch then you need to use a free flowing air chuck so the compressor doesn't over pressurize and sieze.