TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
mikeandgina

Default Should we even consider towing any TM w/Chrysler Town & Country?

Hi Everyone,

This is our first post, so please forgive us if we sound like knuckleheads. We're tempted to buy a TM (really tempted since I sold our Dutchmen pop up this weekend when I didn't think it would sell-lol). So, we've been busy trying to educate ourselves on what type of TM and whether or not we should even do a TM. We have a Chrysler Town and Country minivin. The max tow capacity is 3600. Are we crazy even thinking about a TM? If it's doable, can you tell us what all we'd need? We live in Colorado and would be doing mostly off the beaten path camping.

Thanks in advance for all your honesty and help. I've been reading so many posts on this forum. Your insights are so appreciated!

Mike/Gina
Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

You really should find out what your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is. That will tell you how much weight that your TV can handle, including trailer (fully loaded) passengers, cargo and fuel. Tow ratings tell you little to nothing. Most manufacturers give you the max weight that you can tow with no passengers and cargo. Very few people camp that way. That's why they are required by law to supply a GCWR. I assume that you're talking about mountain towing. That makes it critical to find out what your TV (tow vehicle) is capable of stopping.

TMs are really not ideal for towing off-road (boonies). They are susceptible to dust & dirt and don't hold up well with jarring while towing off-road or even un-paved roads.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Default Off the beaten path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandgina View Post
We live in Colorado and would be doing mostly off the beaten path camping.
Mike - if you mean getting to state parks or National Forest Service campgrounds up in the mountains, then those are generally accessible on improved roads, but could be considered "off the beaten path." A TM would work fine for those. If you mean taking some 4wd roads and camping in undeveloped areas, then a TM is not so good, but then neither is a T&C minivan!

As for towing, IF the T&C is equiped for towing then you'd probably want to limit your choices to a 2619 or 2720, or even the new TM Mini. Anything more than that I think would tax the limits of the van.

Just an example - the stated weight on my TM (a 2003 3124KB) in the brochure is something around 3000 lbs. I had mine weighed a couple of weeks ago when I picked it up from the storage lot - it tipped the scales at 4240 lbs. That is mostly loaded - propane, batteries, "stuff" that is stored in the trailer. No water or food. So be careful of the weight ratings - not only of TV but of trailers as well.

We are in Colorado also - hope to see you at a campground sometime!

Alan
Old 05-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
mikeandgina

Thanks for the advice everyone. Off the beaten path to us generally means national forest, so I think we're okay. Our dilemma is towing with the T&C. It's kind of a catch 22-the T&C is a company car=free gas, but I'm not sure it can handle a TM. If in fact it can handle a TM (oh please oh please-lol), I'm wondering if I'd have to out fit it or if I can pull a TM without a tow package-hate to put money into a company vehicle. What to do, what to do?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Altitude and long grades pose extra TV challenges. I might try it, but I'd definitely plan to travel light and take it easy. Don't even think about towing a TM without a good brake controller and a weight distributing hitch, and I always expect a few surprises when going where others may not have gone before. For example, we used to tow a Miata behind our motorhome. As we were buzzing around Glacier National Park in the Miata, we discovered that it would overheat going up the pass in the slow traffic, because Miata engineers never imagined so little air through the radiator while driving uphill for that long at 20mph in bumper to bumper traffic (neither did we).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
Joseph

Question Company vehicle? uuhhmmmm....

It was with interest that I read your post concerning towing your TM with a company vehicle. The company I work for terminates the employment of anyone modifying a company vehicle in anyway. Place a hitch on a company vehicle = look for new job. Perhaps your company is different? Whatever you decide be safe and get as much TV as you can.