TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
skiman747

Default Trailmanor vs Hi-lo

I know the TM can give you more space, more beds and lighter wieght. Are there more differences between the two. Are the beds on one more comfortable. Build quality different? Appliances on one better? I am looking at a Hi-lo 22ft. vs. TM 3023.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

In addition to what you pointed out, I find the TM's bathroom offers a lot more privacy than Hilo's. The stoves appear to be the same Suburban three burner. The furnace on the 22T is 16,000 BTU, TM's is 20,000 BTU. TM's fridge is 3.3 Cu. Ft., Hilo 22T is 4.0 Cu. Ft. etc. These just a few things I was able to pick out comparing brochures, going to RV shows, and of course owning a TM.

If you are at all ambivalent, you want to find a dealer, and/or RV show where you can see both of these products.

You will find that everyone has the RV of their choice for many very different reasons. Keep looking till you see the one that sets of the the "gotta have it" alarm.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
ng2951

I am guessing that you have not been in a TM yet. The HiLos are nice but I am not aware of any real advantage the HiLo has over the TM.

For one thing if you think about it, the 3023 comes with two bedrooms (front & rear). Albeit, you cannot walk it unless you are seriously undertall.

Here's the good news...you do not have to make your bed every day with the TM.

I don't care what HiLo says about being able to sleep 6. 4 will be tough enough.

The HiLo bathroom in the 22' is nice enough and maybe better in some ways over the TM. Lavatory is larger in this size of HiLo and it has a wardrobe in the bathroom. However, I still think the thetford toilet is a plus on the TM.

ANother thing I forgot was that the TM hot water tank has faster recovery than a HiLo too.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Joseph

Default Cost to tow ?

Do you really want to tow something as heavy as the Hi-Lo around with the price of fuel being what it is ?
Old 06-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
NYJeff

I own a '98 TowLite 18TD (TL is the entry level Hi-Lo). I'm looking at replacing it with a TrailManor. The primary reason is to have 2 permanent beds that don't need to be made up every day.

I think a HL would be easier to set-up than a TM (not that a TM is difficult) - push & button & wait 12 seconds & you're done. Easier/quicker in bad weather.

My opinion is that both are good quality trailers that offer something unique to those willing to pay the premium.

If you have specific questions about HL, let me know & I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck with your choice.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We looked at both...Trailmanors and Hi-Lo's and our tow vehicle could pull both. In fact we put a deposit in 2005 on a 6 month old used 2005 2705 Towlite then we thought about it and decided to wait and got our deposit back. I liked that the bathroom was the width of the camper. I liked that the shower was not a step tub. I did not like the walls of the Hi-Lo bathroom. I liked that the Hi-Lo could be raised at the push of a button. I did not like when I read on a HiLo yahoo group that if the battery went dead in route you could not raise your camper and use it unless you had electricity at a campground...the battery also was not where you could get to it when it was closed. It seemed to me that if it was plugged into your vehicle you should be able to raise it but that is not what I read back then. I really did not like that you could not join the official HiLo forum if you were not an owner...if you were considering purchasing a HiLo all that was available was the yahoo group. I tried to join the other group and was declined. BTW on the yahoo group I read about someone who placed a tube of mascara in one of the smaller wall cabinets...it came out while raising or lowering and got caught in the gears and really made a mess. FWIW...I was never crazy about the tip out sofa.

Some things I love about Trailmanors: The windows...there are a LOT of them!!! It weighs less and it only has one axle (2 tires instead of 4) unless you buy the 3326. I love the amount of storage that I have...we still have not filled it up. I like that no matter what size Trailmanor you buy you have a permanent bed/beds. We did not even consider sleeping in the bed that hangs from the ceiling in the smaller HiLos...and did not want to set up/break down beds every day. We felt that the TM suited our needs best. The TM's felt more spacious to us!! We love that anyone can get info here at the Trailmanorowners web site whether they own one or not...no secret handshake required.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Bluegrass

We did our maiden voyage in our new TM last week and wound up next to a Hi-Lo. I was surprised to see that at least that model Hi-Lo had a slide-out!!

Still would rather have my 3124kb for all the reasons others have mentioned.

Keith
Old 06-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
agesilaus

Just like a lot of people we looked at both, indeed we were on our way to seriously look at HiLos but decided to stop at the local RV dealer on the way and ended up buying a TM that day and never made it to the Hilo dealer which was 2 hours away.

I thought that we would have to have at least a 27 foot Hilo. You start getting a permanent bed at that size. I have no intention to sleep in a sofa bed every night. They seemed to be fine but I have learned since then that they are heavy compared with the TM.

Find some dealers and look at both. Make sure the dealer puts a TM up and down for you a couple times and try it yourself before deciding. That was what convinced us. We came from popups and were very tired of cranking them up and down.

BK
Old 06-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
P and B

Our decision was based pretty much on weight. I'm not even sure I could tow a Hi-Lo. As I recall, they're beyond the tow limit of our SUV. There are not many really great choices out there if you don't have a bigger TV. We don't mind a little additional set up. In fact, we've changed the way we vacation. We used to have a class C and spent a lot of time moving from place to place on a route. Now we tend to go to an area, set up, and spend some time in that location. I'm a little off the subject but the point I want to make is that even with the class C, there was a fair amount of set up and take down every time you moved. While the Hi-lo might seem to offer some advantage in this department, I doubt it does since the hassle of setting up and taking down isn't opening and closing the TM- that literally takes a couple of minutes. It's all the other "stuff".

Phil
Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
camp2canoe

We regularly canoe with a couple who has a Hi-Lo and, as you might expect, there are a lot of comparisons going on when we are parked side by side. I have 2 thoughts to share. 1) Unless you buy the one Hi-Lo with the slideout, which is very expensive, your camper just gets taller, not larger. Our 2619, @17' in the garage when the tongue is folded, has the room of a much larger camper when set up. 2) TM brags, and I've never hear anyone refute this, that there has never been a case of the TM lift system failing to open. Certainly in our 4 years of ownership that has been the case. The Hi-Lo system is more complicated, requires electricity and has more chance for things to go wrong. As they say, you pay your penny and you make your choice. - camp2canoe