TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
markandanne

I can believe that our setup is in that ballpark. If I go from 16 mpg not-towing to 14 mpg towing with our Expedition, then I'll be going from 8 gallons in 100 miles to about 7 gallons in 100 miles. That's about right, and probably works for folks with full size SUV's and trucks that get stinky mileage without towing. Those of you who have smaller frontal cross sectional area with the TV get much better mileage without towing, so you pay more of a penalty once you add the wider trailer behind you and have to push the same amount of wind that we do everyday.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
wmtire

My truck gets around 20-21 empty on the highway. The last time I checked, I was getting 16-17 with the trailer hooked up on the highway.

If I take the high end of empty with the low end of hooked up, it takes about 1.58 gallons more to to tow the trailer 100 miles.

If I take the low end of empty and high end of hooked up, then it takes about 0.88 gallons more to tow it.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
allenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
I actually can tow my TM for 0 gallons of fuel (diesel). I get 20/21 mpg with or without the TM.
They didn't mention diesel, just gas (We're the same way - 21 mpg with or without the TM).
Old 06-29-2008, 02:36 AM   #14
larsdennert

If your TV gets 20mpg = 5gal. 1 extra gal is 20% or 20% more fuel used which is 4mpg. 20 - 4 =16mpg towing. Sounds reasonable.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #15
lwtest

I like the ad. Do the math. The word "extra" is not necessary - it is implied. As an "almost new owner", I think this forum is a two edged sword. I was really excited about getting a TM before I began reading. Now I am not sure. There is a lot of complaining along with some defensive support for the product. I enjoy reading about do-it-yourself projects and modifications. The tire issue has been informative, but the rest is like a bunch of folks talking over a cup of coffee - mostly negative. That's fine, but it doesn't give a prospective owner a very positive feeling about buying a TM.

Larry Test in the desert between Julian and Borrego Springs CA
Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
larsdennert

I'm sorry your cup of gasoline is half empty today.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #17
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwtest View Post
I like the ad. Do the math. The word "extra" is not necessary - it is implied. As an "almost new owner", I think this forum is a two edged sword. I was really excited about getting a TM before I began reading. Now I am not sure. There is a lot of complaining along with some defensive support for the product. I enjoy reading about do-it-yourself projects and modifications. The tire issue has been informative, but the rest is like a bunch of folks talking over a cup of coffee - mostly negative. That's fine, but it doesn't give a prospective owner a very positive feeling about buying a TM.

Uhhh, am I supposed to feel guilty about this?

If you haven't read the many threads where people rave about their TM's you must be reading a different forum. Every trailer has issues and tradeoffs. That's the reason we frequent this forum. It ain't the TM marketing department, though they feel good enough about what we say here that they post a link to this forum on their website.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #18
PopBeavers

I have had one significant repair plus one minor repair, under waranty, both taken care of in one trip to the dealer.

I have added three drawers to the cabinets so we don't have to sit on the floor to get the stuff in the back.

I have one screw that I have had to tighten twice, because it works loose. One of these days I will add some caulk or something so it will hold better.

I have chipped the formica edges in a couple of places, due to sloppy loading techinques and being in a hurry.

My pair of batteries had become sulfated, due to my inexperience in proper charging techinque. I restored the batteries with a good charger that had desulfate and equalize modes.

I have added grease to the earings one a year. This year I had them removed, inspected and hand packed.

I wash it well at the end of the season, including all interior surfaces, top to bottom.. In between I just hose it off. We try to use it once a month, from February through October. We didn't quite make that plan this year, due to vacations in Tennesee and France.

Otherwise, my TM has performed flawlessly since March 2005.

I'm a happy camper. My two cars, two trucks, two ATVs and a motorcycle each require more maintenance than the TM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #19
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwtest View Post
As an "almost new owner", I think this forum is a two edged sword. I was really excited about getting a TM before I began reading. Now I am not sure. There is a lot of complaining along with some defensive support for the product. I enjoy reading about do-it-yourself projects and modifications. The tire issue has been informative, but the rest is like a bunch of folks talking over a cup of coffee - mostly negative. That's fine, but it doesn't give a prospective owner a very positive feeling about buying a TM.

Larry, most of the complaining and questions that arise on this forum concern things that can be found on any RV. Batteries, tires, fridges, stoves, water heaters, converters and such can be found in any RV, including the big class As. Read some of the other RV forums, and you will be surprised at things that can go wrong in any RV. The big difference with a TM is the lifting mechanisms, and yes, things can get out of adjustment there.....but fixable. But in my opinion, that is a small price to pay for the ease of towing and better fuel mileage of taller units.

TMs are quality travel trailers that work great most of the time. I challenge you to find any kind of RV.....including multi million dollar class As.....that don't have their fair share of problems. And the cost of 1 motor or transmission problem in a diesel pusher will probably equal the cost of a newer TM.

Chap
Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #20
tdepouw

I received a survey from TM some time ago, they asked about our mileage. We replied that were getting 17 mpg in our Durango (Hemi) and it dropped to 16 while towing. Average speed 55-60 avoiding interstate as much as possible. It dropped when we went through the mountain areas by 3-4 mpg, which we expected.