TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
LittleRhodey

Default Experiencing some hesitations while driving

We picked up our new TM2720 2 weeks ago. We haven't towed it much, but when we did, we experienced some slight hesitations while driving. What could the problem be? We have been driving at 35 on local roads while heading to a local campground and at 55 while on the highway on the way home from the dealer. We have never towed anything before so we have no standard of reference about what it should feel like.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Need information

I don't understand what you mean by "hesitations." If you mean slight jerks and jolts, it's probably not the TrailManor, but the road or your tow vehicle under load. Are you driving with overdrive enabled? Don't. Are you driving with cruise control enabled? Don't. Read your owner manual information about how to drive when towing.

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
ng2951

I agree with Virginia. The simplist thing to do is select your gear manually and see if it improves. Your transmission may be hunting and that could be the cause of your problem.

One other thing to check is your brake controller. It is possible that your brake controller might be activating the trailer brakes. Get on a safe road and try biasing it to least sensitive position and see if that improves performance.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
mike-rm-cd

We need more and better description of "slight hesitations." Somebody should have an answer, or a pretty good opinion, as to what is the cause.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
ng2951

You need to change your avatar...you aren't really camping until you have your awning out...
Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
SneakyFrog

ng, you are so funny!

Sara and Louie,
I was going to skip responding to this post until I saw your TV is a Sienna like ours. And I asked DH about the same issue during our first couple of outings. I think you mean the weird, kinda mild jerking sensation when we are not on the freeway going one steady speed. DH and I had no experience towing either before last year, so we asked friends. They told us it is normal, especially since we are maxing out the capacity of our vehicles. We experience it when we start from a dead stop and hit any size bump in the road. This year I hardly notice it at all. And we've agreed not to do any steep hill driving for any significant period. Our Sienna has 25K miles on it, I need it to be a card-holding soccer mom, it's still under warranty, and the other 11 months of the year it fits our needs perfectly, so we are not trading it in anytime soon. My advice is to watch your weight - e.g., don't fill the water tanks while towing - go as light as possible.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
LittleRhodey

Default No awning by choice

Hey, ng, we don't have an awning since we were trying to keep the weight down for towing with our Sienna. I hope that doesn't mean that we aren't "real" campers! The Sienna is not even a year old and we are still seriously contemplating trading it for a more beefy tow vehicle. Then we will buy an awning.

We are very bummed out to have had a fender bender this week - mooshed in the passenger rear left door so it won't open. That may influence our vehicle choice as well.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Could it be the transmission shifting gears? I suppose that the small hesitation between gears, normally almost unnoticeable, might be a little more pronounced when you're pulling a lot of weight behind the vehicle. If you have a tachometer, can you correlate the hesitation with the tachometer reading?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

If it feels like a soft jerk when you are starting or slowing it mat be a little slop in your reciever hitch and that is normal. There is a brand that is rubber mounted but what you have is fine.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhodey View Post
...The Sienna is not even a year old and we are still seriously contemplating trading it for a more beefy tow vehicle...
Been there and done that. I bought a 4 cylinder Tacoma. It was only 10 months old when I traded it in for the V6. Gas mileage dropped from 24-26 to 22-24.

The good news is that we happened onto a really nice 2006 3326. No problem towing that puppy with the Taco.