TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

And Wayne - I have to agree that yes, you probably don't need a WDH. But you have a big vehicle with an extra-long wheelbase. A heavier vehicle reduces the need for a WDH - think about an 18-wheeler vs a Honda Civic. And a longer vehicle also reduces front end unweighting. But your vehicle is not typical of the questions that arise in the Towing Rigs Forum, and unfortunately, some new owners tend to say "He has a Chevy pickup, and I have a Chevy pickup, and he doesn't need a WDH, so I won't buy a WDH". That's not a good conclusion, and you know it and I know it - but nonetheless it is what happens. It might be well to moderate this theme, unless the question is asked by someone who has a rig similar to yours. No offense intended ...

Bill
That is why I try to always make it clear that I have a large TV, 1500HD. It never occurred to me that someone might not understand that this is not a half ton Chevy.

My TV is 4 inches shorter than the full length of a 2720, with rear receiver, as determine by can I close the garage door or not.

The only reason I jump in on this topic is because there are some people that insist that everyone should have a WD hitch, when reality is that only *MOST* people should have a WD hitch.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

I just looked at Wayne's link (listed above) to a different forum post on his setup. Wayne is doing with his load with what I am doing with the WDH. He has put a lot of the camping supplies on the back seat of his truck, which would put some weight back on the front axle. I betcha that generator is to the front of the bed also, again weighing down the front end some. He has figured out how to negate the need for the WDH by maximizing his load placement. Plus he has the HD package, which is essentially a 3/4 ton truck suspension.

Chap
Apparently, without thinking about it very much, I have applied some knowledge for my high school and university physics courses.

Chap is right, I load as much heavy stuff as far forward in the tV as I can. The generator and gas is in the front of the bed. Ice chests are either in the back seat or front of the bed.

Extra stuff in the TM is as far back as I can put it. With 40 gallons of fresh water under the font dinette seat, I do not have much risk of too light of a TM tongue.

I, too, encourage everyone to weigh their rig. I never determine the tongue weight or the eight of the truck by itself. I only weighed the whole thing when fully loaded.

Anyone that has never weighed there TM and TV is just guessing. If I was that good at guessing then I would play roulette more often.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
CAmark
Site Sponsor

One bit to add to Wayne's encouragement to weigh your setup so you know your specific situation...as seasons pass the "stuff" in the trailer changes. I suggest that for most people, last year's weights are most likely less than this year's; if you are somewhat close to limits -- as the 3500# axle may be for most of us -- a re-weighing may be in order.
I have done one CAT Scale weighing cycle at a truck stop and there was little hassle. This is really something we all can do without too much trouble -- and it cost $8.00 for the first weight and, I believe, $1.50 for reweighs within 24 hours. Really cheap insurance IMHO.
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #14

I very much appreciate the responses. I will weigh everything in order so that I get it right. I would sure hate to break something expensive, or worse have or cause and accident by not making sure I was as safe as I could be. It does make me wonder how many of my fellow campers at the camp grounds have a forum or such to get information, and if they use it. I am not one to just blindly go forth hoping for the best.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #15
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I very much appreciate the responses. I will weigh everything in order so that I get it right. I would sure hate to break something expensive, or worse have or cause and accident by not making sure I was as safe as I could be. It does make me wonder how many of my fellow campers at the camp grounds have a forum or such to get information, and if they use it. I am not one to just blindly go forth hoping for the best.
I applaud your perspective.

I also participate in the rv.net forums. It makes me shiver every time I see someone post yet another:

"How much over weight are you?"

I am not part of the "weight police". But, I do believe there is a difference between choosing to be a little overweight knowingly versus blindly.

I am quite likely under the weights that I posted previously. I weighed it when it was all new to me. I intentionally loaded it with everything I could think of to represent the worst case scenario. For that trip I took all kinds of things that I did not need. I took them because there was a CAT scale on the way.

I do not have very much motivation to weigh it again, unless something substantial occurs. Like buying an ATV and a motorcycle for the back of the truck. That might put me over my TV limits.