TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2001, 01:14 PM   #11

Default Re: Tires

George
Sorry, I assumed the Carlisle tires were load range D.
I found a "D" in a 205/75R14
Truck tire.  My next purchases will be truck tires not trailer,
Since some truck tires are speed rated and no one seems to have a clue as to trailer tires.
Michelin XCA  
Load 2270 pounds at 65 pounds air pressure
26.5 inch overall diameter.  
Even found a 195/14 with #2000 capacity.
I checked TOWMASTER as I had good luck with them on a Jayco, but they only offer bias ply tires.
Based on the other responses, it looks like the only choice is a truck tire.  GOOD LUCK
Old 07-30-2001, 02:50 PM   #12

8)  Thanks for the information John,  next time I have to get tires, it will be truck tires.  In researching trailer tires, they say that trailer tires need stiffer sides due to high vertical wind loads.  The Trailmanor doesn't suffer the high vertical loads of a normal camper.  Truck tires sound like a good choice to improve the max load range which I might be exceeding.  Will keep you posted when I get back from Vermont.   George
Old 07-30-2001, 05:16 PM   #13

I just replaced my 14" load range C tires with truck tires. I did not know the history of the tires (bought TM used) but they did not match the spare. The tire store said that the truck tires are made for a 1 ton Toyota?, anyhow what I bought were made by Woosung tire company (which I believe is now Nexen tire company) and the size is 195R14 model SV-820 8P.R. load capacity of 2095#@65psi.
They are about 1/4" smaller in diameter.
George, how did you perform the adjustment (increase clearance behind tire)? Is it just a matter of unbolting and sliding or were there modifications to be made? My 2720 had less than 3/8" with the old tires.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:12 AM   #14

Brian,
    I jacked up the trailer and loosened four 13/16 bolts.  The bolt holes are just a little larger than the bolts.  In my case, I had 7/16 of an inch clearance between the wheel and frame member on curb side, about an inch on the other side.  Now, it measures just a hair under 3/4 of an inch on both sides.  Measurement taken with wheels on ground with full trailer weight.  Good luck.  George
Old 08-12-2001, 09:52 AM   #15

Default Re: Tires and axle parts

http://www.dexteraxle.com/
has a great site for brake and bearing parts for their axles.  They also have an online service manual section.  As for tires

"Before mounting tires onto wheels make certain that the rim size
and contour is approved for the tire as shown in the Tire and Rim
Association Yearbook or the tire manufacturers catalog. Also
make sure the tire will carry the rated load. If the load is not
equal on all tires due to trailer weight distribution, use the tire
rated for the heaviest wheel position.
Note: The capacity rating molded into the sidewall of the tire is
not always the proper rating for the tire if used in a trailer
application. Use the following guideline:
1. LT and ST tires. Use the capacity rating molded into the
tire.
2. Passenger Car Tires. Use the capacity rating molded into
the tire sidewall divided by 1.10."
Old 08-13-2001, 04:51 AM   #16

There is a great article on trailer tires in the July/August issue of Camping Life. They make several interesting statements. First they say that you should not use passenger (as we knew) or truck tires on a trailer as these tires don't have the stiff, beefy sidewalls and other structural features needed for trailer use. They say that the cords are of a larger diameter and the steel in the belts is of a larger diameter. to meet the additional load requirements. They also say that ALL trailer tires are speed rated for a maximum of 65 mph. They give the life of a tire as 3-5 years no matter how many or few miles are driven. They say that the internal air pressures force air into the rubber causing oxidation of the rubber. They suggest that all trailer tires will lose aprox 1 lb of air per month. In order to maximize life, jack up the trailer, reduce the air pressure and cover the tires. If you have a blowout on a tandem axle, replace both tires as the second one has been seriously overloaded! They also said that typically a bias tire was considered better for a trailer, but the new radials run cooler so it is not as cut and dried as it once was. These aren't my opinions, but those of the writer and the five tire companies who contributed. (those were Carlysle, Cooper, Goodyear, Greenball, and Titan.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:20 AM   #17

So what do us folks do that drive the speed limit of 75 mph on the Interstate do?  Seems like the minimum speed rating for car tires is 113 mph.  I bought a TrailManor, so I could tow at the various speed limits.  I have friends with pop-up campers that would never dream of limiting their speed to 65.
I can understand how those with large tall trailers might have to limit their speed.  I'm looking forward to the article, but it looks like a truck tire is the only answer, especially if you want a margin of safety.
Old 09-13-2001, 12:09 AM   #18

I screwed up! I talked about the tire article in Trailer Life earlier. The article was in CAMPING LIFE July/August issue. I didn't realize my mistake until John emailed me to ask about it. (I have now modified the original message with the correction.) If anyone wants to send me their address or fax# I will send it to them. Sorry, Denny
Old 10-26-2001, 09:27 PM   #19

After going hot and heavy on this subject for awhile, no one is reporting much now.  Just an update, we eventually settled on the Carlyle BIAS tires.  From everything I could find out the bias tires are better suited to trailers.  I have checked the tire pressure everytime it has moved, and am very carefull to keep the pressure at 50 PSI.  I bought a "truck tire guage" of good quality and checked it against the various cheapy guages that I had around.  I found a wide variance on them.  One would read 50 psi when it was actually around 43-44.  This could be a major source of failures.  We have traveled about 2500 miles at speeds on the Southern interstates of 73-78 mph. (don't tell anyone).  I check tire temperature at each stop, (the good old hand on the tire method) and have never felt that they were running too hot.  I have done the wheelwell mods, so am prepared for a blowout, but hopefully won't see one.  Not an earthshattering report, just an update.  Denny & Gailyn
Old 12-06-2001, 01:38 AM   #20
2swans

having pulled our TM only 40 or so miles hardly qualifies me as an expert, but i will say that we purchased new Michelin XCA 8-ply tires for our 98 2720sl. we bought the TM last month, and the tires on it were some kind of Kelly tires--looked like one had a blister on it. we hope the Mich's will do the job. they are not ST tires, but we talked to a technical person at michelin and were told these are the tire they offer for travel trailers. specifically, they are made for light delivery trucks. we plan to keep the tires sprayed with 303 aerospace UV inhibitor and keep them covered during off-season.we learned about these tires from a TM post by paul heuvelhorst. anyone have an opinion on these tires? would appreciate hearing from you. thanks, 2swans.