TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2001, 06:41 AM   #1

Default Tires

:'(We just traveled 4400 miles and didn't have a blowout, but only because we checked the new 15" Carlisle tires every 100-150 miles for heat and pressure. One developed a blister on the sidewall near the tread. After taking it off, we found a blister on the inside wall about the same size but about 180 degrees around from the other. I bought a Goodyear Marathon to see how it does. It is a 6 ply vs. the Carlisle's 5 ply. Both are Load Range D and I keep 65 pounds cold in them (which translates to about 72 pounds hot). Is there any reason I can't use a truck tire on the trailer? We did this years ago on utility trailers and small pop-up's. As soon as we went to a speed rated 12" or 13" radial car tires all problems ceased. (just be sure they can carry the load).
AND I weighed my 3124 and the axle weight was 4160 on one scale and 4240 on another. No wonder the old Load Range "C" Electra tires would not hold up. The D's are rated at over 2500 pounds of weight per tire. What has the factory recently switched to??
Old 07-22-2001, 09:39 AM   #2
hal

Default Re: Tires

O.K., time for another poll,  a Tire Poll. I keep hearing different reports on the tire blow-out problem.  I have heard blow out problems with just about every brand of tire. A variety of tire pressures is recommended  
1-What tire problem(s) did you have?  2- What was the model # and year of TrailManor? (3)What was the brand and size of the tire that failed? (4) Approximate age  or accumulated mileage of tire?  (5) To what do you attribute the problem?  (6) Cold and hot tire pressure used?  (7) How faithful were you at checking and maintaining tire pressure?  (8)Recommended solution to eliminating problem  (9) Recommended replacement (brand, size, grade, etc) of tire.  (10) What steps have you taken to solve problem  (11) what number of people are you aware of that had a tire problem  (12) What steps should be taken while driving and a tire failure occurs?  (13) other comments or suggestions?
Old 07-22-2001, 02:46 PM   #3

I have a 2001 3326King. It came with Goodyear Marathons on it.

As far as your question about using truck tires on the trailer, as long as they meet, (or better yet, EXCEED), the load rating,,,, I used to sell tires, and in my opinion, (and my opinion only),the answer is, yes, you can. (This is going to get a response from others)  

The "ST" on the tire means "special trailer". Those tires are made of a different rubber compound than car/truck tires. A car/truck tire will dry-rot just by sitting. Driving them keeps the rubber compound flexible, hence helping them last longer. Since a trailer usually just sits, (compared to a car/truck), the ST tires are made of a different compound than doesn't need to be "driven" as much to keep from rotting. So, if you watch the load rating, you can run truck tires on your trailer,,,, but,,,,.

Remember, this is nothing more than my opinion. I don't want to get a debate of any kind going here.

Mack
Old 07-22-2001, 02:56 PM   #4

1. Blowout's (2) and 1 ready to blow (sidewall blister)
2. 1998 3124SL
3. Electra "C" (2 original) Carlisle "D" (1) 15"
4. Like new. No major wear.
5. Electra was load range "C" > Axle weight on truck scales was 4150 pounds. Load range "D" Carlisle and Goodyear rated at #2550 per tire.
6. Electra #50 cold. Carlisle #65 cold, #72 when checked hot.
Goodyear Marathon Load Range "D" 65 cold.
7. Checked every 100-150 miles for heat and air pressure.
Also now observe for any blisters or deformities.
8. Use a truck tire, speed rated, same size, load range "D".
(unless someone can tell me why you can't use a truck tire.)
9. Unknown at this time. Appears TrailManor has used 3 different brands and both Load Range "C" and "D" over last 4 years.
10. Next week will see what Gateway Tire will do with the failed Carlisle. Tire shop said manufacturing defect.  Gateway replaced the tire for FREE!  No charge to mount or balance!
Goodyear now has 3000 miles with no problem. Also, it is a full 6 ply tire, the Carlisle a 5 ply and the Electra a 4 ply. Another plus for the Goodyear is that it is made in Canada.
12. Try to buy a "Tire Saver" monitor available this fall. Screws on valve stem and if pressure drops, it sends a signal to the unit mounted in your vehicle.
Old 07-23-2001, 04:03 PM   #5

Thanks for confirming what my tire guy told me. I have a 1998 2720 and the previous treatment of the tires is unknown. This model has 14" rims and no one can offer me a load range D tire. All they can find is a 6-ply load range C.
Dry weight is supposed to be 2720#, add the options (like a/c) and dishes and junk for a family of four and my safe weight guess is at least 3700#, tires on it now are BIG O ST 215/75 D14 with max load of 1870# (that's 3740# total). I would like more of a safety margin to decrease tire heating etc.
Tire man says that the 14" load range D truck tire was designed for a Toyota 1-ton pick up. He has them on order and I will be able to inspect on ?Thursday. The tire width is a little thinner and has a different aspect ratio so the diameter is supposed to be 1/4" less. Here's to hoping I won't have to buy new rims.
Thanks again for the ST designation confirmation.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:00 AM   #6

1995 Model 3023

1 blowout last year with tire of unknown age.  Minor damage- did the wheelwell mods before leaving on vacation.

No blowouts since replacing.  Faithfully monitor pressure- 50 psi with ST205/75R14-C

2600 mile round trip Rochester, NY to Disney World in Florida in 90+ degree weather, no tire problems.

We had the unit weighed "empty" with 2 adults:
>Front axle of Safari: 2780#
>Rear axle of Safari: 2620#
>TrailManor axle: 3240#  (GAWR is 3500)

We kept the heaviest stuff in the van for the long trip.

I attribute our blowout to age of tire and weight on tire.  They are close to their rated load without putting any "stuff" in the trailer.
Old 07-30-2001, 08:38 AM   #7

:My 1999 2720 had carlisle tires with less than 5000 miles on them at the time one blew out.  I had less than 1/2 of an inch clearance on the curb side of the trailer between that tire and the frame member which has since been adjusted.  The tire literally ran into the frame at speed as or before it came apart doing a lot of damage to the wheelwell.

I took it to the Trailmanor factory and they denied any responsibility for it.  

In doing research on the problem, I discovered several common areas that could contribute to the problem no matter who the manufacturer is.  They all say the major cause of tire failure is 1] underinflation, and 2] overloading.
I maintained my tires at the recommended pressure of 50 lb.  However, when it comes to loading, I find that like most of us, I was running pretty close to the recommended limits.  

There is one area however, that most have not mentioned in their correspondence.  That area is in dynamic balancing of the tire/wheel.  Most manufacturers do not balance their wheels because they run solid axles.  The Trailmanor has swing axles which mimics independent wheel suspension to a point.  Trailmanor does not balance the wheels.  These wheels are quite heavy if you want to pick them up.  When they are out of balance, the innertia moment of force is considerable.  Add that repetitive force to a highly loaded tire and you can exceed the load ratings of the tire.  I bought two Goodyear tires and each one required  two to three ounces of weight to bring into balance.  I took the original Carlisle spare in to have balanced and it took two weights, one was 2.75 ounces, and the second weight was one ounce.  I would recommend that those who are concerned with the tire problem take their spare tires and have them balanced.  I believe when they see how much weight it takes to get them in balance that they will have the other tires balanced also.  I also believe that this was the root of our tire problems.  George Kaman
Old 07-30-2001, 08:49 AM   #8

George
Why were you only running 50 pounds in your Carlisle tires?
Are they not load range "D"? My TrailManor tire label only applies to load range "C" tires ( 50 pounds). 3 Tire shops have all told me to run the maximum #65 in my Carlisle and Goodyear tires. The old load range "C" tires had a maximum inflation of #50.  I don't know about my original tires, but the Carlisle that I just had fail was balanced as all of my replacements have been.  I can't believe that the factory does not balance tires of that size.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:38 AM   #9

8)  My tires are ST205/75/14 load range C which is 1760 Lb.  I have looked in vain for a load range D in a 14 inch.  If you find any let me know.  However, load range C has a max pressure of 50lb.  How was your trip?  I'm leaving for Vermont day after tomorrow.  If I have more tire problems, I'll jack this thing up and put tandem axles under it!  George ;D
Old 07-30-2001, 09:47 AM   #10

Also, I was up at the factory to pick up a new wheel well cover to replace the damaged one.  I looked over a stack of new tires which were covered with plastic.  None were balanced.  How many of you have checked for balance weights on your tires?  John says he can't believe that Trailmanor would not balance the tires.  My question is, How many have checked to see if their tires were balanced?  When checked, were they or weren't they balanced?  George :