TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Scott O

Default Towing Speed

A couple of recent threads make we wonder about the speeds we typically tow our TMs at. I try to never go over 60, but in reading some of the posts it sounds like that might be rather conservative. I always check the tires, load properly, etc. Assuming a relatively flat, straight road with minimal winds, what is a good towing speed???
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
lnussbau

My thoughts: Just because it's possible to tow fast doesn't make it a good idea. I've seen plenty of evidence of blowouts on the highways, over the years, and it's not always because of defective tires. Tire pressure too low, too much heat, overloading (or nearly so) are some of the more major causes. And it seems to me that the small tires provided with the TM (especially the single axle models) are approaching marginal.

Remember that force increases with the square of the speed -- it's not a linear progression. So even with just a 10 mph increase in speed, you get a lot MORE increase on the forces on the tires. And that includes heat buildup which is, of course, rough on tires too.

So, to me, it seems that even with an ideal tow vehicle and mild temperatures on a straight, flat road, that very much over 60-65 is starting to get too fast, even with proper inflation.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
mtnguy

65 is the recommended maximum speed for any ST tire. I try to stick with that, when that is the speed limit, but the max. speed on WVa interstates is 70 mph.....what's a guy to do. I usually drop in behind someone that is traveling 65 in the slow lane, and stay with them.

Slower speeds definitely make a difference with the gas mileage also. And for the most part, slower speeds are just plain safer.....unless you are holding up traffic in the fast lane.

Chap
Old 11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I try real hard to follow the law, and slow down to 55. If I don't set my cruise control I find myself driving at 60-65, which is not legal in California.

My TM tires are now 3 years old. High speeds, high outside temperatures and very low humidity sometimes make me a little nervous.

If I were to increase my speed from 55 to 65 then I would arrive at my destination 30 minutes sooner. As long as I arrive before dark to set up, it isn't that important to me.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Shandysplace

Default Towing Speed

Even though we haven't received our new TM yet, we don't expect to tow over the CA towing speed limit of 55 (used to own a boat). Can't see any downside and lots of upsides all mentioned in prior threads (safety, mileage, tire wear, etc.)

Since we're never in a hurry anyway, it just makes the most sense to us. Sure there's the occasional car/truck behind you even in the slow lane that gets impatient, but they'll just have to wait for a passing opportunity.

Since our new TM is nearly at the towing capacity of our Suburban, it also means we slow down further to 45 on any kind of grade and downshift on the downside to relieve wear on the brakes.

Shandysplace
3326 King
1997 Suburban 1500 4WD
Old 11-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
bfezel

We usually tow at 60-62, even on Montana highways with 75mph speed limits. Sometimes at 55 if we are on two lane back roads which we prefer. Two reasons: 1) I retired three months ago after a forty-two year career in information technology (i.e. HIGH STRESS) and simply enjoy slowing down and "smelling the roses", and 2) I get better gas mileage at a slower speed.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Towing Speed Info

I usually drive about 55 mph and don't exceed 60 mph. Gas mileage and tire conditions both seem to be maximized that way. Also drive with overdrive disabled (recommended by Owner Manual) to make engine and transmission last as long as possible.

I KNOW I'm in control at those speeds (driving experience has also taught me that - no matter how fast I drive, there's always someone who MUST drive faster - and they aren't buying my fuel or tires for me.).

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I also tend to drive between 60 and 62 mph and find that to be a comfortable speed. And isn't it nice to drive without constantly changing lanes? It makes the drive much more relaxing.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
Magdefrau

Default Rate Of Speed

This is what I Think..............

As a fellow is traveling I think a 'time plan' is needed for total Happiness of the entire holiday.

If I am off the road too early or on the road to late I lose happiness within the family group.

This last trip to California was a exercise in time management.

We generally left in good order. However, we traveled untill late evening. I wanted to campfire more. But, the distant between popular areas out west will be a entire days drive. I felt as though I should had drove faster. Trying to maintain a 55 MPH rate of speed may had reduced overall enjoyment. However, the risk of a failure of my driving skill or equipment malfuction was very much under control.

That would be a major focus on a trip. " Are you in complete control".

I do not want to crash and burn. I don't want to incur addition expense.
Really, I am still exhasted from the 12 hour and six days a week at work the last three months. This is a real and present danger.

At 55 MPH you have a chance to exscape....at 75 MPH you will go into the ditch. A animal crosing the road, a tire blow out, just lossing your driving concentration.

But. you have to push to get to the next site in good time.

I suppose a plan needs to be correctly thought through so that in your mind the family feels the trip in being made in good time. Not that you are racing the clock holding hands with dissaster

I need to include something about a bear........................

I can't think of anything, so, it's your lucky day I quess.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
MidwestDave

Default What speed?

I have towed ours at 65 mph in Wisconsin and in our home state of Illinois we are held to 55 mph. Here's a plus in Illinois we can use our "pass" for the toll roads with no extra charge for TM.