TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 05:25 AM   #21
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Neil,

I was kidding, towing around Florida (flat) it rarely goes over 1800 RPM at 65 mph. With a 2720 it behaves no different whether I'm towing or not, except when getting going from a dead stop.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #22
Tonopah

Mario,
Ya got me good on that one. I really bit.
--Neil
Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #23
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
Ragmopp:
Thanks for the info. When I was visiting the Toyota dealership last week they told me the tow capacity for the Tacoma was 5000 pounds (same as my Liberty) so I started looking at the Tundra. Later I discovered that the tow capacity of the Tacoma is actually rated at 6500 pounds -- so the dealer is in error (i.e an idiot). <snip..snip>.
Maybe not...I have been researching the Tacomas over the last few days and discovered that there are two flavors of V6 tow packages.

The factory installed package rated for 6,500 lbs has several additions like transmission and engine oil coolers, bigger alternator, and an inverter, besides the hitch assy.

The other is a dealer installed package which lacks all that gear, except for the hitch package and brake harness. Its rated for 5,000 lbs.

The difference in price is about $4,000-$4,500.

What I do not know is whether adding a transmission cooler would push the Tacoma to the 6,500 level or not. I have read that adding the cooler would be less than $500.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #24
Buck Mills

Default 3124KS with Tacoma V6 ??

I currently have a 2000 Tundra which will certainly pull the 3124Ks. I just pulled my new trailer from Colorado Springs over the Rockies on I-70 and was able to maintain 60 MPH but the MPG was pretty awful.

I was thinking of replacing the Tundra with a newer Tacoma for better Gas Mileage. I do wonder whether the Tacoma could really do what I want AND give me better mileage. There's a 2005 V6 and tow package with about 16,00 miles.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #25
larsdennert

The 4l V6 Taco will get you 18-19mpg vs the 4.5l V8 Tundra at 15mpg. They almost have equal hp.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #26
Buck Mills

Default Tacoma Mileage

When you say 18-19 on the Tacoma is that while towing, I think I get about 14 on my Tundra when towing.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #27
ragmopp

Having a Tacoma (manual) I know what I get while towing my TM. It ranges from 16 to 17 mpg. Living in the Sierras I have absolutely no problems pulling the trailer at legal posted speeds (there is more available, but I seldom go over 60 or 62). Of course, pulling a steep grade mpg would go down. One item of note, the Tacoma 'for best performance (as mentioned in the manual)' requires premium gasoline. I always put that in the tank when towing. Regular around town use I get by with mid range. Other Tacoma users have used regular successfully, not towing of course.
This might be a tradeoff, for you. It is entirely possible that your Tundra (I assume you use regular gasoline) might still be cheaper to tow.

Mike Anderson