TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Tonopah

Default Tacoma v Tundra

I tow my 2720 with a Jeep Liberty. I use a WDH. The jeep has a 5000 tow capacity and 104 inch wheel base. Prodigy brake controller.

Last week I towed into the mountains for the first time (Sequoia Nat'l Park) and ran into some limitations with my set up. Tranny light went on and I had to drop to 4Lo to get it to go off. Made for a slow drive and you're really not supposed to be using 4WD on paved roads anyway. Going down those hills I started cookin' my brakes too. I'm thinking I may need to upgrade the TV.

The Tundra has awesome tow capacity (10,000 pounds) and is very expensive. The Tacoma has 6500 pounds tow capacity and is less expensive. Both are very nice vehicles.

Any experiences with these or similar TVs would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
evans27292

i just purchased a 2007 1/2 GMC duramax with an allison transmission,with the allision trammy you dont have to worry about going down hills and getting your brakes hot the allision trammy can since the degree of incline and downshift on its on. ijust took a trip to TM factory ,going up 6 degree mountains maintained a 60 mph and tacked 1700rpm and no reb in engine. going down the same hills coming back the trammy downshifted on its on and held the truck at 60mph. i was pulling a 2007 3326 loaded.i had a 05 chevy 5.3 engine and the getting up and down hills wasnt good.hot brakes are no fun.by the way i get over 20 mpg without trailer and 17.8 mpg inthe mountains pulling the 3326 king.i wouldnt trade my truck for two new gas trucks.its nice to come from a dead stop to 60mph in 7 seconds.the towing is 13000lbs. trailer and 16000lbs.5th wheel.check the cost of each and make up your mind. good luck with you decision.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
ragmopp

I have a 2005 Tacoma with the v6 and 6 speed tranny. I also have a 2720SL like you. The Tacoma pulls the trailer with no problems whatsoever. Living in the Sierras I need to pull some pretty steep 'hills'. I can maintain whatever speed I wish to travel (generally never more than 65), by simply downshifting to the appropriate gear. To give you an idea, 4th gear will maintain my usual 62 mph going over Donner Summit, which is 7200 feet. It MIGHT be necessary for 3rd gear going over some of the passes in Colorado though. Even in 4th gear I am only taching appx 3500 rpms. The Tacoma is a great tow vehicle for this trailer, don't even know its back there. I do have a Equalizer hitch...If you decide on the Tacoma ensure you get the tow package from the factory. That includes everything you will need, class 4 hitch, heavy duty battery, and prewired for your Prodigy. If you get the automatic it also comes with the necessary tranny cooler.

The Tundra would more than handle towing 2 TM's . Might be a little overkill though, unless you really need/want a big vehicle.

Mike Anderson
Old 10-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Tonopah

Ragmopp:
Thanks for the info. When I was visiting the Toyota dealership last week they told me the tow capacity for the Tacoma was 5000 pounds (same as my Liberty) so I started looking at the Tundra. Later I discovered that the tow capacity of the Tacoma is actually rated at 6500 pounds -- so the dealer is in error (i.e an idiot).

I'd rather have an automatic now a days (I live in the Los Angeles area and trust me, a manual shift gets old quick in our traffic). The Tacoma is a 5 spd with the auto. The big guy Tundra (5.7) is a 6 spd auto and that is kind of appealing. Might have to rob a bank to pay for a Tundra though.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Scott O

Our '05 Tacoma 5 speed auto works flawlessly as a TV. No problems whatsoever and I completely recommend it. Less power than the Tundra but more than enough and better mileage. Ours is the 4x4 which besides having a heavy suspension is a blast once you reach your destination. Bottom line is that you can't go wrong either way!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
ragmopp

Neil,

Believe me I understand your need for a auto. I live in the boonies and traffic isn't a big deal (even going to Reno is a piece of cake) so a manual works for us. Now we went down this past spring to visit San Diego, and THAT was a white knuckle ride. If I lived in your area I would have a auto also.

That dealer you went to most likely was thinking of a Tacoma that didn't come from the factory with the tow package or he is as you say an idiot. Maybe in your area that isn't a popular item. In Reno where I purchased mine virtually all the Tacoma's were 4X4's and came with the tow package.

You might have to rob two banks for the Tundra. Toyota, being Toyota, has a tendency to ask top dollar for their vehicles. Of course you do end up getting a reliable vehicle for miles and miles and miles.

Mike Anderson
Old 10-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
The Tundra has awesome tow capacity (10,000 pounds) and is very expensive. The Tacoma has 6500 pounds tow capacity and is less expensive. Both are very nice vehicles.

Any experiences with these or similar TVs would be appreciated. Thanks!

Have you also checked out other trucks?? No offense, but the prices that I see on Toyotas are unreal. And I just don't see the big advantages.

I bought a new 06 F150 Ranger XLT, Quad Cab, 4x4, with 5.4 L V8 engine last year when the rebates were on. A bunch of other options. Paid $25,710. A friend bought an 06 Tacoma, V6, 6 sp., about the same time. He paid ~$24,000 with a trade in....although that wasn't worth much. He does average 2 more mpg than me. But he has a smaller bed, a back seat that I don't think an adult can fit in, a cramped cab, lower towing capacity, less power, lower payload.....but I agree that it is a great truck. The truck fits what he needs it for, and mine does the same.

I checked out the Dodge, Nissan Titan, and Chevy/GMC 1/2 tons.....at that time Toyota only offered the V6. The Chevy was big on frills, the Dodge had a lot extras that I saw causing problems later, and neither 1 fit the missus or I just right. The Nissan Titan was a nice truck, drove great, a little cramped in front, really cramped in back, smaller bed, made in the good ol' USA, but the price was sky high. By the way, last year when I was looking at trucks, the reg. cab Chevy was made in Mexico, as well as the 5.7 L Hemi engine. I still like to support our own.

Again, nothing wrong with Toyotas.....I have friends that have great ones. But for the price you pay for a Tundra, I bet you can find an equal "Big 3" truck, and have a bit of change left when you leave the dealership.

Chap
Old 10-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post

You might have to rob two banks for the Tundra. Toyota, being Toyota, has a tendency to ask top dollar for their vehicles. Of course you do end up getting a reliable vehicle for miles and miles and miles.
OK, while I am still on my soap box:

I bought a 79 Ford F150, new. 27 years and 185,000 miles later, I sold it to my daughter and son-in-law, who still use it, and have started restoring it. It was looking a little ragged, some rust, faded paint, but still ran great. I would still have it, but have kinda gotten to like AC, power steering, wanted a 4x4, and all of the niceties of newer vehicles. Also wanted something to tow more, as the old truck just had a 6 cyl.

I had a neighbor that bought an 84 Toyota. Replaced the bed 1996 and got it painted.....looked great. By 2002, rust was showing through again, and it failed to pass the VA. safety inspection because the frame had rusted so bad. He gave the truck to a guy for farm use.

I know, I know, Toyotas are built a lot better now. But so are the "Big 3s". Trucks have come a long way.

I am now stepping off of my soap box. Thanks for letting me vent. Just consider all trucks, and see what fits the best.

Chap
Old 10-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
humrick

Altho the conversation is obviously on pickups, I would like to throw in my love for the Xterra. V-6, 4WD, AT I use to tow 3023. I live in Colorado and have gone easily over Monarch and Wolf Creek passes (in excess of 10,500 ft.) and my Xterra does well. It has a good sized seats, altho I have to admit I am in the smaller size. Has not over heated and as someone else mentioned it is good on the jeep trails here, which there are many here in Colorado.

I normally tow with only 1/2 fresh water (20 Gal), 15" wheels, raised 2 1/2".
Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
Tonopah

Everyone makes good points.
In the end, I sprung for the Tundra. It's a 60th birthday present for me I guess. Guess I won't have anymore issues towing a 2720, huh? Never had a vehicle this big though. Parking is gonna be a real challenge. And gas? Glad I only live 10 minutes from work.