TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
becamping!

Default Load Range E

I have searched on the forum and I cannot find this answer. Is it OK to run Load Range E 10 ply trailer tires on a 1999 3124KB? You have to fill them to 80PSI, they are rated for trailer use.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

First question. Do you really HAVE to inflate them to 80 psi? If so, they will be hard as a rock, and will probably beat your TM to death.

I would suggest going to the manufacturer's web site and looking for a table of rated load vs inflation pressure. Since you didn't mention the manufacturer, I can't help with that. But the Goodyear website, for example, contains this information for their tires.

I am currently running Goodyear Marathon load range D tires, which are specified to have a MAX inflation pressure of 65 psi. According to the Goodyear web site, I don't HAVE to run them that high. Less inflation means a lower load rating, of course, and also a softer tire, which is easier on the TM. So I am running them at 55 psi, a good compromise between relatively soft ride, and the load-carrying capacity I am looking for.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
bill s

Question load range "E"

we have a 3124 kb.....where do you find load range "E" tires for a 15 " wheel?????
Old 09-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
becamping!

Default Load Range E Tires

Carlisle tires makes a load range E for 15' rims - available at Discount Tire. Also, they price matched a Costco tire for us.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
becamping!

Default Anyone Else Run Load Range E

We put the camper away for the winter, but I am still wondering if 80PSI in the load range E is going to cause any problems. Thanks for the recommendation to run at a slightly lower PSI, sounds like the Tire would be OK running at 65 or 70 PSI. Anyone else try this?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Exclamation IIRC, Trailmanor *used to* use Carlises

And they seemed to be a BIG problem, so TM switched to the Goodyear Marathons. And IIRC, our rim is only rated for 70 PSI, you'd definitely need new rims if I'm remembering this correctly (and you want to run with 80 lbs pressure).
Old 09-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Becamping asked
Quote:
Is it OK to run Load Range E 10 ply trailer tires on a 1999 3124KB? You have to fill them to 80PSI, they are rated for trailer use.
and asked again
Quote:
I am still wondering if 80PSI in the load range E is going to cause any problems. Thanks for the recommendation to run at a slightly lower PSI, sounds like the Tire would be OK running at 65 or 70 PSI.
The answer is the same - only the tire manufacturer can tell you. The people on this forum don't have the right expertise.

Carlisle does make an E-rated ST225/75R15 trailer tire rated at 2830 pounds load at 80 psi. Is this the one you are talking about? The Carlisle web site does say, in several places, that it MUST be inflated to 80 psi. The site also provides the load-vs-inflation table that I mentioned above, but immediately says that it does not endorse reduced pressure. So no one here can "recommend" that you violate the manufacturer's advice.

My personal feeling, as I said above, is that the load range E tire at 80 psi will not make you happy, but I could be wrong, depending on the kind of roads you drive. I think you would do better with a "D" tire. Carlisle makes a D-rated tire, same size, 2540 lbs at 65 psi. Again, Carlisle does not endorse reduced pressure.

Whatever you decide, you might want to join what we have come to call "The Great Tire Experiment". A number of us have switched to different tires by different manufacturers, and we're going to run them for a year, see what happens, and report back to the group. I don't think that there are any Carlisle tires in the experiment yet, so we'd love to have you join us.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill s View Post
we have a 3124 kb.....where do you find load range "E" tires for a 15 " wheel?????
Maxxis and Prometer are some other choices for a 15 inch 10 ply rated tire, besides the Carlisles.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/trail...l&product_ids=

http://www.foreigntire.com/prometerstdetail.html

As Bill stated, we are trying different tires in our experiment to see if we can find better solutions. The more different tires we try, should help overall. I'm putting the Prometers on mine, because nobody else has tried them. I will tell you right now, that I have no plans to run these tires at 80 psi. I'll let everyone know how my decision works out.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
wmtire

It was time to practice what I preach. I have procrastinated long enough, and finally took the time to put the Prometer 225/75R15 10 Ply Rated tires on my trailer this morning. It was a good learning experience, especially seeing just what it will entail if I have to change a tire on a trip.

This trailer was bought used in March of this year. One of the tires I replaced was a Marathon with a 2002 manufacture date , while the other was another brand with a 2006 manufacture date.

I plan to run these new tires at 65 psi, although they are rated for 80. The tires did balance out easily, a lot better than my experience with other trailer tires has been. I was expecting to have to put a lot of weight, but it didn't require it. The most I needed was 1.75 ounces on one side.

I have a camping/geocaching trip to south LA planned in a few weeks, and will keep the group informed of my experiences/observations.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
bill s

Default load "E"

i have been told that a company called Denman tires (ohio ??) makes a 225/75/15
load E and 10 ply...i think they recommend 80 or 90psi!!!!!

i still haven't purchased ....but i really need to very soon

i'm still researching!!!!

thanks bill s