TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
jbrooks

Lightbulb air shocks

What do you think about the idea of air shocks on the towing vehicle to equalize the weight. I tow a 3023 with a 6 cylinder 4-runner. It tows wonderfully, but looks like I need an equalizer hitch. apart from the money, I am 63yo single woman who may not be able to manhandle the hitch.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Goodyear Travels

I still think a weight distribution hitch is essential for a 4-Runner. I don't believe the Reese hitch is physically as heavy as our Equalizer hitch. I think you could probably manage setting it up with a little practice. We also have adjustable Rancho's shocks on the rear of our '01, 4-WD Tacoma. They are easy to set --- simply turn a dial on the bottom of each shock to the same setting --- and they take a great deal of the whoop-tee-do bounce out of the ride when the rear springs are compressed. But I think you'd have some risk with only the Rancho's. I like having both the weight distribution hitch and the Rancho's but whatever you choose --- I wish you a safe journey. Eric
Old 09-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Unfortunately, air shocks absolutely do NOT do the same thing as a weight distributing hitch, and they are not a safe substitute.

Check out this thread, looking especially at the posts by Rocky MtnRay, our resident towing expert.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2659

Or this one in the Technical Reference Library
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2616

Or even this one
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1792

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
PopBeavers

A larger tow vehicle will not need a WD hitch, but there is a cost for that. I do not use WD and do not use anti sway. I was advised by the factory to avoid both.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
jbrooks

Thanks for the advice. I will definately try to find a WD hitch. Perhaps I can find a gently used one which is less pricey.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
shunter917
Site Sponsor

Although I used a WD hitch, I also added air bags to help with the ride. This is when I was pulling with a 2000 Ford Ranger. The bags helped tremendously, but I still used the WD hitch.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default My Two-Cents Worth

I use both an Equalizer weight-distributing hitch with sway control and Monroe gas, heavy-duty shock absorbers. This setup makes towing easier, and I am able to concentrate on driving, instead of tow vehicle/trailer issues.

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote