TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
wmtire

Default Telephone Jack : Experienced Users Opinion needed

I am asking for opinions from experienced campers on just how many actually USE the telephone jack in their campers. I don't have enough experience to know how many campgrounds have telephone hookups. I figured with just about everyone having cellphones, that telephone landlines (as far as camping) would just about be obsolete. Then I thought that some places may actually have wired internet too.

The reason I ask, is I did a mod to my camper where the telephone plate is, to install rca jacks from my radio. I put the telephone jack back into this modification, but see where it would have been so much easier (and cheaper) not to. I was going to post this modification, but will see what the general consensus is here on the necessity of the telephone jack is, before I decide which version of the modification to post. (along with where to buy what parts).

Thanks for any/all input.

Bobby
Old 08-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

I don't think I've ever been to a campground that offered telephone hookup. Maybe if you were doing a long term stay you might want/need a land line. I think you're right - since most everyone has a cell phone these days, having a telephone line to your camper is not a high priority. In fact several people I know are eliminating traditional telephone service in their homes, and using cell phone service entirely.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Freedom

Our 2000 TM doesn't even have a telephone jack - or a cable jack for that matter! We use a cell phone when we travel so the telephone jack would be worthless. As Nick said, I don't remember ever having a telephone line available at a camp site. Mostly any more there's wireless internet if there's anything so we wouldn't use a telephone jack if there was one. It seems like a year or so ago that TM was asking about the jacks and if anybody used them. I don't know what they determined. My vote at the time was "No". Do the new, '07, '08 rigs come with the jacks?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We use wifi and cell phones.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Add us to the list of non phone jack users. We've never stayed at a CG that had a phone hook up and have not come across land line phone service in any CG descriptions.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Bill & Lisa

I have been to a campground or two that had phone jacks available at the sites but I never used them. Neither did anyone else in our camping groups (most of them in SOBs). So bottom line, never used one, never saw one used.

Bill
Old 08-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Do the new, '07, '08 rigs come with the jacks?

Jim, that got me to thinking if I had even seen them in the new models I looked at before I found my 2003 model. I really can't remember, so I looked at the current spec sheets on the Trailmanor website, and it still lists the telephone jack in it. (even though, so far, it seems that nobody uses them).

It's still listed as standard equipment, second column, third from bottom

http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Sh...s/Features.htm
Old 08-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
MidwestDave

Thumbs down Phone jack

Put us down as non-users of the phone jack. We use cell phone all the time while camping. That would be a good idea replacing the phone jack with RCA or other types of hook ups. An excellent area for aux. connections for speakers too. Yea, put the phone jack right up there with the wall mounted bottle opener. Happy camping!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
ameridan

Another non-user. My guess as why it hasn't been eliminated a few years ago is the internet access via modems that is not much in demand anymore. Many motel rooms have these ports, but because of WiFi, they too are seldomly used.

I used that location for a 12-volt receptacle instead - for air mattress pumps, 12-volt TVs, phone charger, etc.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
mac_falls

My 2007 2720SL came without a phone jack & it was manufactured in March 2007. Factory decided it was no longer a useful item & I agree, wife & myself both carry cell phones.