TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

WMTire asked
Quote:
Did you have any problems putting this wider/larger tire in the spare tire rack?
and Bill replied
Quote:
I haven't even tried. I fully expect to have problems ... I'm going to have to modify the rack.
I should also have said that until I get the rack modified, I will continue to carry the 14" spare. If one of the 15" tires fails, I can see no reason not to put a 14" spare on that side. Sure, the TM will be just a bit tilted (1/2 inch higher on one side than the other), but until I can reach a tire store and replace the failed tire, I don't think it's a big deal.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
Goodyear Travels

Bill,
Grrrreat Post! Any particular reason why you stuck with the Marathons ?
Eric
Old 08-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

No. It was just part of "spreading out the knowledge base" that WMTire so generously supported. And it was within the general goal of "something that the average TMer can get easily". Of course, I have good hopes ...

Bill
Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

WMTire asked
Quote:
Did you have any problems putting this wider/larger tire in the spare tire rack?
and Bill replied
Quote:
I haven't even tried. I fully expect to have problems ... I'm going to have to modify the rack.
OK, I finished the mod to the spare tire rack. My mod is different, but not better, than Eric's. I posted some photos in Eric's original thread at

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?p=41883

Bill
Old 09-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #15
Goodyear Travels

Has anyone installed 7 x 15 wheels with offsets on a 2720sl like Bill's --- so that they fit the wheel wells without skirt modification (in place of the original 6 x 14's that lacked offsets) ? I believe that RM Ray wrestled with 7 x 15's without offsets. Do the 7 inch width wheels provide any load or ride advantage worth striving for ?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:25 AM   #16
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Larson View Post
Has anyone installed 7 x 15 wheels with offsets on a 2720sl like Bill's --- so that they fit the wheel wells without skirt modification (in place of the original 6 x 14's that lacked offsets) ? I believe that RM Ray wrestled with 7 x 15's without offsets. Do the 7 inch width wheels provide any load or ride advantage worth striving for ?
Eric,

Either of the fender skirt fixes are pretty easy to do.....Bill's probably being easier than mine. (post # 1 & 11 in this thread). On older TMs, I don't know if the shimming will work......my screws are within 1/4" of the edge.

Regardless, if your fender skirts are bowed enough to be a concern with touching the tire, then they should probably be bowed back out regardless.........if they are bowed that much, then they may not be reaching the bottom seal, and this would be an area where dirt and road splash could get into your TM in transit.

Attached is a picture of my fix.

Chap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Fender Skirts.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	2282  
Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #17
Goodyear Travels

Chap,
I agree that the fender skirt modification appears pretty uncomplicated for a 6 inch wide wheel, but I believe a standard 7 inch wheel, that lacks an offset, requires a more radical, fender skirt modification. I think RM Ray had to get out his shears and get creative on the plastic skirts. Has anyone tried a 7 x 15 inch wheel with an offset? If I remember right --- someone did some detailed measurements and determined that the wheel well could accommodate the 7 inch wide wheel if it had the right offset. I guess I'm expecting that there are some advantages to the 7 inch wide wheel and tire (over the 6) --- maybe lower temperatures, maybe higher load rating, or lower required air pressures ??? I'm still hoping that someone has blazed this trail.
Eric
Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
mtnguy

Eric,

My 225/75R15s comes within about 3/4" of the dimple in my "straightened" fender skirt. That extra 1/2" on the 7" wheels would be a litttle close for comfort. Too much offset, and then you would have to worry about the tire rubbing the torque arm on the axle at the back side of the tire.

I don't see where there would be an advantage of the 7s over the 6" wheels. Maybe our local tire expert, Bobby (aka wmtire) will chime in here, and give his opinion.

BTW, the only wheel recommended by the tire manufacturer for my 225s are the 6" wheels.

Chap
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #19
Goodyear Travels

Chap,
Bill's comment that his 15 inch Marathons fit either 6 or 7 inch wheels prompted my inquiry. Unless someone else enlightens us --- I'll probably follow you and Bill with the 15 x 6's and let go of the 7 incher's with offsets. BTW -- I like the picture of your TM working its way into the deep woods. It's getting pretty difficult to find solitude and stillness. Eric
Old 09-27-2007, 06:39 AM   #20
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Larson View Post
Chap,
I like the picture of your TM working its way into the deep woods. It's getting pretty difficult to find solitude and stillness. Eric
That's the kinda camping that the missus and I like. I am pretty sure that you couldn't get a conventional travel trailer (even a small 1) into this area in CT. that we were visiting.....due to low hanging branches, and large rocks and dips in the road that would have put the top of a conventional TT into some of the closer trees on the side of the path. No place for the missus to get out of the truck and take pictures during the rougher stuff.

And back to wheels: The 225/75R15 Marathons do list the recommended wheel size as 6-7"s, but the 225/75R15 Carlisles that I bought (another story) just list 6' wheels. We will see how the Carlisles do after several years......hopefully they have been improved since the old days.

Chap