TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
S_&_L_Family_Camping
Site Sponsor

Default Olds Sihlouette towing an empty 3023?

I have a 2000 Olds Sihlouette with a 3.4 L engine (185 HP) and am purchasing a 1994 3023. I will be towing the empty TM from the Chicago area to the Detroit area. I believe that the tow rating for my van is 3500 lbs. I have what I believe is a Curt Class III 2" reciever hitch tow package that is welded to the frame of the vehicle. I am also using a Reese WDH that came with the TM (I will attatch a pic if I can). I have not found anything under the "search" function for my vehicle. If anyone can provide some guidance I would appreciate it.

The sticker on the drivers side door has been scraped off. These are the weights that I could gleen from the net for the Olds. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 5350 lbs. The Curb Weight is 3944 lbs. The Gross Trailer Weight Braked is 2000 lbs. The Max Legal Load is 1392 lbs. It says the tow capacity is 2000 lbs. It also says that tow capacity with factory installed tow package is 3500 lbs. The Curt hitch says its Gross Trailer Weight is 4000 lbs with a Max Tongue Weight of 400 lbs. It also says Weight Distribution Weight is 6000 lbs. with a Max Tongue Weight of 600 lbs. Under all of this info that is on the tag on the hitch itself it says V-5? Not sure about what that means. The item number on the Curt hitch is 31216 if that means anything to anyone.

Anyway, I believe the trailer will weigh in somewhere between 2700 - 3000 lbs empty. I am wondering if my van can tow this trailer.

I also have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. It has a The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 4595 lbs. The Curb Weight is 3190 lbs. The Gross Trailer Weight Braked is 2000 lbs. The Max Legal Load is 1150 lbs. It says the tow capacity is 2000 lbs. It also says that tow capacity with factory installed tow package is 5000 lbs. I realize the jeep would probably be the better vehicle for trailering, but would really like to use the van to trailer the TM if I can.

Sorry for the longwinded post. Your guidance will be appreciated.

S & L
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07310003.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2085  
S_&_L_Family_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
S_&_L_Family_Camping
Site Sponsor

Default Towing 3023

Wow, I didn't realize they weighed that much empty. Mine does have the roof mounted A/C, awning, the two propane tanks on the front, but not any other extras that I can think of. I have the tow package, WDH, 7 point brake connector, and will be getting a Prodigy brake controller (that I plan to move between the two vehicles). I did tow the 3023 with the Olds to the dealer without brakes - don't want to do that again - not a lot of fun - but was very careful. I just don't want to ruin the van, but would like to use it to tow as it is a more family friendly vehicle than the Jeep.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
skcerny

Lance,

Regarding a factory tow package, call your local Pontiac/Buick dealer (since olds is no more) and ask to speak with someone in the parts department. When you are talking to someone in the parts department, ask them to tell you what the factory code is for the tow package. Go to either the glove box of your van or look at the spare tire cover and there should be a GM white sticker with a bunch of different 3 letter/number codes (i.e. FE2 which was a suspension type). The parts person should be able to give you the code for the tow package. If they give you a code and it is there, you are in luck. If not, you'll need to add the appropriate engine and trans coolers and keep the speed down on I-94. Don't forget about the electric brakes and the seven-pin harness. The dealer won't let you leave without those.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
S_&_L_Family_Camping
Site Sponsor

Default tow package

Thanks for the information. I will call the dealer in the morning.

S & L
Old 08-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
S_&_L_Family_Camping
Site Sponsor

Default engine and trans coolers

I talked with the GM dealer and they told me the van has a "V-92" Trailer Provision, "V-08" Heavy Duty Cooling, "KC4" Engine Oil Cooler, and to the best of his knowledge without looking at the van no external trans cooler. He also said it had a 5-6000 lbs GVW Brake System (total weight the braking system is designed to stop?).

From this I glean that I will need to add a trans cooler. I just had new brakes and tires put on the Silhouette last month and am confident about them. I will either install or have the Prodigy installed b4 I pick up the TM. I am having the bearings repacked and the brakes on the trailer gone over b4 I tow the TM home. I think I might have to forgo the trans cooler to bring it home but will install one b4 going up to Alpena. Anything else you can think of? Thanks again,

S & L
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
skcerny

S&L,

I don't believe trans coolers are that expensive to have installed. There are plenty of places such as Hitch House in Livonia that can install these coolers without any problems. Depending on where you live, you should be able to find someone close by to do. WIth the high temps we're experiencing now and the added strain of the TM, I would add the trans cooler before picking up your TM. Trans cooler is a lot less expensive than a new trans!

Keep us all up to date on how everything goes.