TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #11
SireMike

Hi Rich

I towed a 3124ks last year with with a 2004 4runner.

The below site has alot of good info on RV towing.

http://www.rvtowingtips.com/

A 3124 ks is 24' when it is closed up for towing. According to the data you should more wheel base for this length of trailer.

Now the data does not take into account a lighter, collapsible trailer.

I could not afford to buy the trailer and upgrade my TV so I made the decision to take a chance with the 4runner.

I personally had no problems but stayed out of the mountains and did not have any emergency situations. Due to inattention one time I did go onto the shoulder one time and whipped it back onto the road and had no problems. Luck could have been a factor.

No problems with trucks passing me at high speed on the interstate. Valley WDH with no sway bar.

I traded in the TM for a 24' Sunline full size TT. Just moved hitch over to new trailer. Very dangerous! Definitely showed the impact of having a large box sitting up in the wind.

Wind would blow me all over the place. I immediately upgraded to a Equalizer brand hitch designed for sway control. Improved towing experience 80% over Valley hitch.

What is funny is the magazines always show jeeps or pathfinders towing even larger TTs with no problems. No way would I go larger with my current setup on flat land.

There is no way I would attempt to use my current setup in the mountains. I am stuck at the moment for flat land trips. I mostly do weekend camping so this is not a big deal at the moment. I will upgrade TV in a couple of years when the 4runner is paid off. If I had not upgraded the trailer I was going to get a class b to tow the TM.

One of the most dangerous situations is to be descending a mountain and having to complete sharp turns in the process. A trailer will want to go straight and could easily overpower the TV. Situational awareness is a must any time you tow.

Bigger TV is always better, at a cost. A 2720sl would be better but hard to give up the king bed.

Look hard at your long range plans for camping. If you think you will upgrade to a larger TT in a year or two then maybe it would be worth getting a better TV now.

I thought about trading in the 4runner for the new Tundra with the 5.7 V8. It would definitely be ok for my setup since it has a 10000# rating. I am holding out at the moment for them to work the new platform bugs out and I am hoping they will do a diesel in a year or two.

When do you pick up the trailer?

mike
Old 07-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SireMike View Post
A 3124 ks is 24' when it is closed up for towing. According to the data you should more wheel base for this length of trailer...
Now the data does not take into account a lighter, collapsible trailer. ...
When do you pick up the trailer?
Thanks, Mike - very helpful.

The usual wheelbase guidelines do refer to much taller and heavier TTs, and your experience in switching from the TM to a standard TT is reassuring (the part about how much easier the TM was compared to your new rug behind the 4Runner). Others seem to think that speed/hill climbing shouldn't be a big problem with the V8.

We pick up the TM either next week or the week after, so have to buy soon.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #13
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb Yes, somone DOES do this combination (with V8).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
So, is anyone out there actually using a 4R V8 and 3124 in combination? Thanks - we're getting close to the wire. Our second choice would be a Sequoia but its bulk and low mileage disappointed us. Thanks, everyone.
Rich, member '4buster' pulls a 3124KS with a 4R (V8 model) and expresses high confidence, even though a few of us think his feeling ISN'T justified by reality.

He mentioned this in a Thread about Lexus LX-470, (i.e., 4Runner V8 with side-opening rear door and better leather). You could PM him, although he's only posted a couple times. Here's that other Thread, which focused on 3326, but includes his post and lots of comments from all of us other "usual suspects" too.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5610

BTW, our V6 4Runner (2007) is RADICALLY better in Engine and Tranny capabilities than SireMike's old 2004 was.

Let me restate, just to make clear: The TM's low center of gravity and low towing height are great for the wind, but the low height does NOTHING to save you in a turning emergency (on a switchback, or when someone jumps out in a crazy way). The low mass/weight of TMs DOES help, in compariso to heavier 24' Trailers. But the geometry is not in your favor-- the trailer wants to go straight, it's axle is far away from your TV, and your own TV's ability to avoid having the rear pulled into a skid is severely compromised by it's too-short wheelbase. We're dealing with a 24 foot trailer... the fact that that is bigger when unfolded is irrelevant, really.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default BTW, Suburban/Yukon has WAY more wheelbase than Sequoia

Some people, magazines, and websites really like the new 2007 models (although others say they're really noisy inside, don't have enough power, get rotten gas mileage, and/or they're "just another $%#&^$ Chevy").
Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
SireMike

I would not say a 2007 4runner is radically better

Both are generation 4.

They finally upgraded the v6 transmission by putting in the v8 5 speed.

The vvti engine is for more horsepower at higher rpm. I have no plans to be towing at 5200 rpms. Towing is torque.

Best thing Rich is what you are doing. Research and talk to people. You will hear numerous different opinions. Take it all in and make your decision.

One thing though, a typical new vehicle manufacturer wants the vehicle to have a few miles on it before you start towing.

mike
Old 07-28-2007, 12:57 AM   #16
larsdennert

Well for comparison, I have a '99 4Runner which has a 3.4l anemic 180hp. It has 100K miles but then that's just barely broke in for a Toy. It has 33" tires, a long travel offroad suspension and is missing a few factory components. I tow a 2720. It goes but the 4Runner is a slug and more so when towing. Toyotas are pretty well built like tanks but it would be nice to have the 4th Gen V6 or V8 for more power. Even though it's rated at 5000 pounds, I wouldn't try to tow that much with mine regularly. It amazes me that people tow these trailers with light duty cars like Highlanders and Minivans. More power to them...