TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default 4Runner stock "WDH"

Toyota site lists the 4Runner V8 version as having a "weight distribution" hitch as part of its towing package. I researched this best I could on the web and local dealer, but no luck. Somehow I find it improbable that they would deliver the 4R with a true WDH, at least in the way the term is used around here.

Could they really mean WDH? With bars, levers, chains, etc.? Gotta wonder if they are using the term to imply a heavier duty but really ordinary receiver hitch. Anyone know what comes from Toyota? In any case, I don't want to order a 3rd party hitch only to find that the 4Runner arrives with the same thing as part of its tow package.

Any help appreciated. I'm confused.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

The way the dealer explained it to me is that with the V6 they DON'T want you using a WDH, and they characterize it as a "weight carrying" receiver. I think they do this because it's offered with a 2" receiver which is typical of a class III hitch while the V6 4Runner is only rated for 5000 Lbs. While the V8 is designed to meets all the requirements of a class III hitch (7,500 Lbs) and can be used with a WDH.

The aforementioned is my opinion, peppered with opinions from a Toyota dealer and presented in such a way as to seem factual when in fact it's only swag

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Rich_in_Tampa

Well, here's the update after a bunch more calls:

Toyota sells a light-duty hitch which is essentially 2" receiver for cargo carriers and bike racks, mounted to the bumper of the 4Runner. They also sell a conventional hitch/receiver for the V8 4Runners only, traditionally mounted.

To distinguish the two, they refer to the heavy duty one as a "weight carrying" hitch or a "weight-distributing" hitch. Of course to the rest of the world, that means something else altogether (bars, chains, adjustments, etc.). Hence, a Toyota OEM "weight distributing" hitch is actually just a conventional 2" receiver hitch.

Hope that helps someone else.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Cool 100% Marketing

Now of course, Toyota doesn't sell a "WDH". They're selling only a WDH-capable receiver. And in spite of their attempts to "diss" their own V6 Hitch Receiver and up-market their customers, the V6 Hitch Receiver is only slightly less strong than the V8 Version.

Rich, I'm in an almost-unique position to discuss this because I have owned BOTH the current "Gen-4+" V8 and V6 models. (Our year-old V8 was totaled in a spectacular accident a few months ago, we "downgraded" to a brand-new V6 for a replacement.)

BOTH hitches are beefy and can easily handle the torque from a WDH which is balancing up to 800 lbs of tongue weight. If you're towing a lightweight TM, or a boat, your 4Runner is gonna run out of geometry (the wheelbase is short) WAY before the hitch receiver suffers any damage from the WDH.
- - - - -

And even if it did, you can have a new hitch receiver bolted onto your "little" V6 very easily. The V8 is a smoother engine, but the Tranny and Brakes and Tires and suspension are identical. Except for slightly more noise and running in 4th instead of 5th, we don't miss the V8 at all. Towing a TM absolutely doesn't need it, there's not ANY TM model which presents too much moving mass or WDH torque for the V6 hitch to handle.

We're delighted to take advantage of the better gas mileage and the up-front savings. Unless you're towing an extremely heavy Trailer, the V6 with "Sport" suspension is a better TV than the V8 "SR5" or "Limited", beaten only slightly by the V8 "Sport".
Old 07-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
The V8 is a smoother engine, but the Tranny and Brakes and Tires and suspension are identical. Except for slightly more noise and running in 4th instead of 5th, we don't miss the V8 at all. Towing a TM absolutely doesn't need it, there's not ANY TM model which presents too much moving mass or WDH torque for the V6 hitch to handle.

We're delighted to take advantage of the better gas mileage and the up-front savings. Unless you're towing an extremely heavy Trailer, the V6 with "Sport" suspension is a better TV than the V8 "SR5" or "Limited", beaten only slightly by the V8 "Sport".
Very valuable stuff - thanks. And for the very occasional mountain trip (the 6% grade kind) would you estimate that a 3124 pulled by the V6 4Runner would be at least adequate, meaning it would hold ~50 mph uphill or so if needed?

That's what's hanging us up and, like you, we'd rather have the V6 for the 90% of the time we're not towing.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default V6 hitch is *not* merely for bike racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Toyota sells a light-duty hitch which is essentially 2" receiver for cargo carriers and bike racks, mounted to the bumper of the 4Runner. They also sell a conventional hitch/receiver for the V8 4Runners only, traditionally mounted.
To clarify on this particular point: You'll see posts ELSEWHERE on the Internet, maybe regarding older models of 4R, saying things like "it's only clipped to the bumper mounting points".

That's wrong, at least on the 2007. Although it's held with only two STRONG bolts, the "weight carrying hitch" receiver is bolted directly onto the box frame. Yeah, the V8 hitch receiver has MORE mounting bolts, and that allows for less stress on each bolt. But for handling the torque to "balance" a mere 500-600, or even 800 lbs of tongue weight, I don't think this is gonna break. The "beefy" bolts attach a good-sized PLATE at the top of the hitch, and handling torque instead of just dead weight on the bolts looks pretty easy for this structure.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Unhappy 3124 behind a 4R ??? I don't like it, thought you had a smaller TM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Would you estimate that a 3124 pulled by the V6 4Runner would be at least adequate, meaning it would hold ~50 mph uphill or so if needed?
I'm not deeply concerned about the Engine or Tranny on grades like that, although you ARE talking about a trailer which weights at least 500 lbs, maybe even 800 lbs more than mine. (I load our "little" 2619 real heavy, and I ordered it built with the same tires and and suspension as your 3124 to make that possible). You might be spending a lot of time in 3rd rather than 4th, but as long as the Tranny's locked, it'll cruise OK. I have oodles of power which I've never used. But I think you should use premium gas if you're gonna cruise highway speeds in 3rd.

The big issue is wheelbase. A 4R is a great match for a 2619 or a 2720, but a lot of people here REALLY, REALLY wouldn't want to tow one of the longer ones. I'm one of them. A 26 ft trailer behind a 110 inch wheelbase is kinda asking for the Tail to wag the Dog.

In NORMAL driving and straight-line breaking, the Trailer brakes do a lot of the work, and 4R's very capable suspension components (WITH WDH to make them useful) do the rest. But in an emergency maneuver where you change direction suddenly, or stomp the brake AND change direction, the trailer axle is a long way back-- it has a long "arm of moment" to whip the vehicle around in the direction in which the TRAILER AXLE wants to go. (Straight.)

To overcome that sideways torque, you should have a long wheelbase to resist it: Your TV's ability to resist the skidding tendency depends on it's two axles and the distance between them (more is better). Some people will never face an emergency in which they will HAVE TO suddenly lurch their Trailer suddenly. But if you do have such a situation, it is possible that the last thing you'll see, before heading into the ditch, is the trailer pulling your rear end loose so that it can continue going in the 'straight line' which IT wants.

If you do it, be careful. I WOULDN'T.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
The big issue is wheelbase. A 4R is a great match for a 2619 or a 2720, but a lot of people here REALLY, REALLY wouldn't want to tow one of the longer ones. I'm one of them. A 26 ft trailer behind a 110 inch wheelbase is kinda asking for the Tail to wag the Dog. ...
If you do it, be careful. I WOULDN'T.
Boy, I can see why folks have a tough time selecting a tow vehicle - I'm getting advice all over the spectrum about a 4R V8 towing a 3124. I understand that more wheelbase is better, that towing power is just one factor in the decision, and that you can never go wrong safety-wise by buying "bigger." Part of the problem is that you can take that perspective all the way up to a heavy-duty pickup (the avoidance of which is one reason we chose a TM).

So, is anyone out there actually using a 4R V8 and 3124 in combination? I'd love to hear from you. Rickst29's experience is very helpful (and his emphasis on safety is appreciated), but he's got a 2619. Thanks - we're getting close to the wire. Our second choice would be a Sequoia but its bulk and low mileage disappointed us. Thanks, everyone.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
Bob&Karen

Rich,

Don't know if this will be helpful or not. We tow our 3124KS with a Ford Expedition. Is an Expedition bigger/longer wheelbase than a 4-Runner? We have had no issues with our setup, and mileage is OK, too. We get approx 17-18 mpg when not towing, and 13-14 mpg when towing.

Bob
Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

An Expedition is a MUCH bigger vehicle. It is midway in Ford's sequence of so-called "Full-size SUVs". The model lineup is Explorer / Expedition / Excursion. The 4-Runner, with 110-inch wheelbase, is a bit smaller than my Explorer (114" wheelbase). The '04 Expedition has a 119" wheelbase.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote