TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
grakin

Default Lug nut size on TM 2007 2619?

Does anyone know what the size of the lug nuts is on a 2619 (2007) are? I would prefer to make one trip, not two, to the store.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
evans27292

Smile lug size

buy a 4 way,use on tv and TM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Freedom

We use a folding 4 way lug wrench from Wal-Mart or Harbor Freight, I can't recall where I bought it but it was one for those two. They both have them.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
idaho-steve

For my TM the lugs use a 13/16" socket -- same as my TV.

I keep my 1/2" drive torque wrench in the cab in the bag with the jumper cables. The TM/TV socket stays attached to the torque wrench and I have the torque settings written on tape on th shaft of the torque wrench.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Freedom

Idaho-Steve's idea is excellent! There is a tendency to over-torque lug nuts when using a 4-way wrench. In fact, torquing is imperative on a TV with disk brakes (Since he's using the same wrench on the TV) otherwise there's a danger of warping the disk and then the brakes will flutter. It's not as necessary on drum brakes, but it's definitely not good to over-torque the lug nuts.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

For my Outback I had to buy a (I think calibrated) torque wrench...cost about 70.00 dollars...does this mean with a TM that type is not needed? I haven't meen out to the camper this morning to see exactly what it is...the dh uses it.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A torque wrench is a great idea. But last time I had to change a tire, I found that the yahoo with the air wrench at the tire shop had put the nuts on so tightly that I had trouble getting them off. By using a big solid cross wrench and having my wife stand on one arm while I lifted the opposite one, we managed to break them loose. Otherwise we would have been stuck. Unless your torque wrench has a long handle, or a breaker-bar extension (and it sounds like Steve's is really husky), you might consider carrying a cross wrench tucked away somewhere, just in case.

And I can confiorm Steve's statement that 13/16 inch is the proper size.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Freedom

I agree with Bill - you should have a cross wrench (or commonly called a star bar) and a torque wrench. I doesn't have to be that expensive ($70). Here's one at Harbor Freight that would work ($10): http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=239
With wheels, the main thing is to have the torque even (around 100#) not so much the precise amount of torque. I use one of these for wheels - for engine work I use a better one.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
A torque wrench is a great idea. But last time I had to change a tire, I found that the yahoo with the air wrench at the tire shop had put the nuts on so tightly that I had trouble getting them off. By using a big solid cross wrench and having my wife stand on one arm while I lifted the opposite one, we managed to break them loose. Otherwise we would have been stuck. Unless your torque wrench has a long handle, or a breaker-bar extension (and it sounds like Steve's is really husky), you might consider carrying a cross wrench tucked away somewhere, just in case.

And I can confiorm Steve's statement that 13/16 inch is the proper size.

Bill
Yes. Unfortunately, there are many tire "Yahoos" that don't properly torque lug nuts, especially on trailers. This is a result of not being properly trained. I see it all the time in my profession.

It is imperative to torque wheels correctly, especially on disc brake applications, as previousely stated. We religiously use Torque Sticks (see link below) on our impact wrenches. It solves the overtorquing problem. They are a little pricey for the regular joe to probably keep in his tool assortment. I'm really just passing the info on for education purposes for TM owners buying tires. Make sure you have your tire technician torque your wheels properly........and don't buy your tires/wheels from correctly labeled "yahoos".

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 04-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Freedom

I use a torque stick, too, but on the road it's rather difficult to get the air pressure. A cheap torque wrench will do the job adequately - much better than guessing at it with a star bar!