TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #21
meriflower

Question is - can you use a WDH with a Honda Pilot? There was a posting where a person has an 06 Pilot and the manual states "not recommended for use with this vehicle". The person then called America Honda and was told that they would void the vehicle's warranty if a WDH is used. Reason is due to the frame, it's a unibody. I would check into that before going with a WDH.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #22
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Nancy

I've followed The WDH discussions pretty closely here and although I recall quite a bit about the Pilot, I don't recall the conversation with American Honda you quoted. Can you give us a link or some direction to the person you are referring to?

Someone (Denny-A I think) posted a lengthy excerp from Honda's info that said they didn't recommend a WDH because it could cause problems if improperly adjusted. I should add that I posted a question on http://rv.net.com asking if anyone there had knowledge of a modern unibody being damaged by use of a WDH. Thousands of people monitor that site but no one replied with an example. Also, I believe someone here is successfully towing with a Pilot using 1200lb bars on their WDH. That would indicate to me that it's not a problem. Just my $0.02

Thanks for your help.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #23
Compac Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriflower View Post
Question is - can you use a WDH with a Honda Pilot? There was a posting where a person has an 06 Pilot and the manual states "not recommended for use with this vehicle". The person then called America Honda and was told that they would void the vehicle's warranty if a WDH is used. Reason is due to the frame, it's a unibody. I would check into that before going with a WDH.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was me - I have copied the post for you. -

Thanks to all for your very helpfull information regarding my "additions at the dealer" question for our new 2720SL, which is now less than 2 weeks away - I will upgrade the battery (I like the thread Bill provided regarding the dual golfcart batteries) and all of the rest of them, and including the WDH. Now, here's where I have to confess I too have "the Pilot" (06). And that leads to the WDH, which I have done some resarch with using one on this vehicle. My owners manual says "Not recommended for use with this vehicle...." and the implication is that if you do not adjust it properly, you can experience handling, braking problems. Now - we all know that the whole purpose of the WDH is to achieve the opposite - that is to stablize the vehicle by putting energy latterly into the frame of the trailer and into the "frame" of the TV and ultimately put a downward force on the front axle of the TV. There's the kicker - with my Pilot, I really don't have a "frame". The body is sitting on essentially rails, that are built WITH the body (Unit body). I've known this before I bought it. It is the reason for good gas mileage, great ride, etc. I can pull my boats all day long, because of Low Tongue Weights. But with the TM and other TT's you have higher tounge weights and thus the problem and the need for a WDH. Now I called my dealer and finally American Honda and they told me that I will VOID my warranty if I use one (if it is determined that caused any damage). My question for all out there - Since I'm using a TV with a Unibody structure, and not a body mounted to a frame, and if I use the WDH, where is that weight being transferred - that is some may be moving down the sub-frames of the Vehicle, but isn't some being transferred into the body itself, and how much downword force is finally being applied to the front axle of the Pilot to really do any good?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #24
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

You've provided the missing link. My problem was with the blanket statement that "it would void you warranty". Your addition of " if it is determined that it caused damage" clears it up. Obviously if you return a vehicle with a failed transmission that has a 3,500lb tow rating to your dealer and they know you have been towing a 10,000lb trailer they are not going to be happy. On the other hand, they are not going to void your warranty and refuse to fix your windshield wipers. In the WDH case in question, they may also not be happy if you take it in with a crushed front suspension.

From all I can determine, you would have to be very agressive with a strong WDH to accomplish that. You can't rule that possibility out entirely however because someone here reported that they ruined their two front TV tires on their way home from their dealer because the dealer set their WDH too tight upon installation. IMO, you just have to decide if the very slight chance of damaging your Pilot with a properly sized and adjusted WDH is worth the risk of towing without a WDH.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #25
Carol Hagy

Default Reiss WDH?

I haven't heard too much about the Reiss (not sure about spelling) WDH. I was just quoted a price on one by a TM dealer and he said that's the only WDH they use. Any thoughts? Any reason why I should not go with this one?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #26
mtnguy

Carol,

I use the Reese WDH that was already set up on our used TM. Simple to set up and use, after reading all of the directions. It doesn't have sway control like some of the other kinds, although is sway control on a TM really needed? You need a really big wrench and socket ( Ithink 1" or so) to set it up correctly, along with a torque wrench that goes up to 300 lb. properly....I don't have such a puppy, but just crank the bolts down as hard as I can. If you get the dealer to set things up, then you don't have to worry about all of that.......except to check the bolts ever so often, which I would imagine the dealer would do also.

mtnguy

mtnguy
Old 04-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #27
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Carol -

Reese is a top-of-the-line hitch. I believe they merged with Draw-Tite a few years ago - their hitches seem to be identical. Between the two brands, I bet they sell more hitches than anyone else.

I consider Reese/Draw-Tite to be workhorse hitches. Plain-Jane, no fancy advertising, no fancy mechanisms, no cranking the tongue up and down, no frightening prices - just easy to adjust and easy to use.

And, yes, I have a Reese hitch, and have had no complaints whatever in the six years I have used it.

By the way, did you (or anyone) realize that you are supposed to grease the hitch ball and oil the springbar stubs every couple days of towing? I'm not sure why, but no one (including the dealers/installers) seems to talk much about this.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #28
Carol Hagy

Thanks for the info. That's all good to know. The dealer is going to install it and I'll be sure to check the bolts every so often to be sure they're tight. I always grease the ball every so often as well. It helps the tongue to swivel easier. I was given one price of $800.00 for a WDH to be installed. Can't remember the brand. Then $700.00 for a Blue Ox to be installed. The Reese is $510.00. Now that I have your feed back, guess which one I'm going with! In several threads here on this sight it's been said sway bars aren't necessary with TMs. I don't think it's a big problem and I haven't experienced it (so far).
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #29
Freedom

You can probably get a Valley hitch installed at U-Haul for a lot less than the Reese. I paid ~ $300.00 for mine, but I installed it myself. Might be worth a call to U-Haul.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #30
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Carol -

By the way, did you (or anyone) realize that you are supposed to grease the hitch ball and oil the springbar stubs every couple days of towing? I'm not sure why, but no one (including the dealers/installers) seems to talk much about this.

Bill
Bill,

Yes, on the question. The dealer/installers need to let people know about that.

On my Reese WDH, the springbar stubs already have paint rubbed off after only about 10 uses.....I now oil the stubs when I install them before a trip. I keep a little oil on the hitch ball, as it sounds like you do also.

mtnguy