TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
BayouBoy

Default Chevy V6 4.3L tow Vehicle

I Have Chevy Silerado 2WD 4.3L V6 Reg Cab Short Bed (6.5"ft) w/ a 5000# tow rating. Because I have a 3.23 axle ratio, my tow rating is reduced to 3500-4000#. This info is from an online towing calculator.

I'm new to Trailering heavy loads and would like some towing advise w/ this set up.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Your Siverado should be a stable towing platform within reason but you didn't say whether you have a towing package or which transmission you have. A towing package will give you a bigger radiator, auxillary transmission cooler and engine oil cooler plus the hitch receiver and trailer wiring. Chevy used to mate the Silverado 4.3 with the same light-duty transmissions they used in their smaller S-10 trucks and yours may be the same. The 3.23 means you can forget overdrive for towing even the lightest TM and you'll probably be in an AT's 2nd gear much of the time on climbs. A good heavy duty transmission cooler is in order if you have an AT but many people here are towing TMs successfully with similar power in smaller and lighter TVs. If it's in good condition I wouldn't hesitate to tow a TM with it but I'd stay near the 3500lb weight limit and even at that expect slow going in the hills. Just my $0.02
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
BayouBoy

I bought the truck before I decided to tow a TT. It's a 2006 Silverado 4.3L Reg cab short box w/ a 4 spd AT & Tow button. It has a 2" hitch receiver & TT plugs I just installed. I also will install both the Trans & Engine oil coolers before I set out to buy any TT. I'm looking into changing the rear end gear to a 3.73 ratio. I know I will lose MPG, but the most important thing is to relieve the stress on the trans. I also plan to install a HI-Flow muff system as well. I think once I add all these mods I be able to tow the 2720SL TM. Your response to these mods would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Sounds like a nice truck, especially considering the current fuel prices. You should find plenty of info on the internet with regard to possible changes and upgrades of the 4.3 for towing. I've read that rear end changes can involve computer/speedometer/etc changes as well. Also, some engines don't respond well to muffler changes. High flow mufflers can add high RPM HP but kill your low/mid RPM torque -- something you don't want for towing -- again, something you should find out about on 4.3 owners sites. I forgot to mention a transmission temperature gauge. If your truck doesn't already have one, that addition can tell you what's going on with your AT.

There was a time when RMR, our real mechanical expert, couldn't let a question like yours pass without digging into it but he has apparently been through an addiction clinic and has learned to control himself :-).
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
BayouBoy

Thank you.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
BLAZER

My wife and I just took a 1500 miles trip towing our 2619 with our '97 4.3L auto/OD blazer w/3.42 rear. It did okay, but we did a lot of Tenn/N Ca mountains and it strained a bit. If you upgrade gears, you should be pretty happy. I changed out my 3.42's in my Astro and moved up to 4.10's and love it, even got better gas mileage ( but then I do have 31" tires it too). We ran at 65mph @ 2800 rpms with our current setup in the blazer, OD is a nono obviously unless you want a new tranny. You may check with a dealer or go to www.fullsizechevy.com and check about the speedo correction after changing gears as it will be off. You will be running slower than your speedo states ( i.e. my astro runs almost 80 when I'm only going 70-72). I've never dealt with a tow button, but I would imagine it locks the torque convertor which would reduce on heat and maybe even prevent you from using OD. Best advice is to read your manual on that one.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Freedom

We have basically the same engine 4.3L & running gear in our 2000 GMC Jimmy. It also has the tow button and we have never had trouble towing our 2619. I tow too fast so we only get 15 MPG, but that's my fault. I know if I only go 65 it gets better mileage - we can see that on the trip computer. I use cruise control a lot and don't shift out of OD unless it's hunting gears. The tow button takes care of the rest. The obnoxious thing is that you have to remember to push it each time the ignition has been off. I put the sticky part of a sticky note on the tach to remind me to push the button when I'm towing. (DW reminds me if I don't push it soon enough!) If you're thinking about a 2619 or 2720 I would try it before spending all the money to modify your rig. We have towed over high passes and not had any trouble. We even passed other rigs that were having trouble. Haven't done the Eisenhower tunnel yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it. This is my opinion, so you have to decide for yourself.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
BayouBoy

Freedom, do you know the exact diff gear ratio of your TV. Does your TV have any of the mods I spoke of, i.e. external trans and/or Eng. oil cooler. I know you will have to flash the computer of a TV when you change gear ratios. I'm hearing from so called "experts" that the 3.23 is not for towing TT's. I"m confussed Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
Freedom

From what I've been able to determine:
4,293 cc 4.3 liters 6 V engine with 101.6 mm bore, 88.4 mm stroke, 9.2 compression ratio, overhead valve and two valves per cylinder - Multi-point injection fuel system.
Power: SAE and 142 kW , 190 HP @ 4,400 rpm; 250 ft lb , 339 Nm @ 2,800 rpm.
3.08:1 axle ratio.
ABS - Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #10
BLAZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom
3.08:1 axle ratio.
WOW, towing package and that high of gears. I would figure you would at least have 3.42's or maybe 3.73's . Our 97 has a towing package and came with 3.42's.
I do agree with Freedom, you may want to hitch one up and take it for a spin before you swap in new gears. To buy new gears, install kit, and have them set up right will cost you around $5-600. I got a discount on the set ($200) and installed by my brother in law for $50 cause he made me do most of the work, he just checked clearances and pinion lash...I got off cheap.
yours may have an oil cooler and tranny cooler already installed since it has towing package. Well, if you call an extra oil line twisted in an "S" pattern a cooler!