TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
RCCBV1

Default Round vs. Trunnion Spring Bar

I’ve just ordered a new TM, and would like to get some input on the type of WDH that I should install. I had a 20ft TT many years ago, with a Reese trunnion hitch and Cam sway. It seemed to work well, and I was always sure that the spring bar was in place due to the design. I look at the round spring bar design and am not sure about the clip for holding the bar in place will hold up as well as the trunnion. I guess I see gravity is working against the design, and the spring bar will drop out if the little clip fails, or is not installed correctly. I understand that I will not need a sway device on the TM, because of the trailer design, but I would like some input on the round vs. trunnion spring bar.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Reese trunnion hitch is what I have and like them!!!!!! As long as they do the job for the weight to each his own!!! I say!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Freedom

The little spring clip's (on the round bar) main function is to hold the bar in place when there is no load applied to the bar. (Read that as "While you are installing the bars") Once the bar is loaded, it will stay in place without the spring clip.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
RCCBV1

Default Round vs Trunnion

I understood that to be the case also, but when I read the info at

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ghlight=spring

I began to have concerns.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
RCCBV1

I also wanted to find out if there is a difference in ride, ease of connection, or other things that I am not aware of.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
Freedom

We have had both kinds of hitch. They were both the type with chains, not the new kind that incorporates the sway control. Once they are hooked up there is no difference except I think the trunnion one we had made more groaning sounds than the round bar one we currently have. The noises were mostly when you turned more sharply than usual or turned into a gas station or parking lot. One that was really bad was the one that the bars ride on top of the trailer frame rails - that was a piece of junk (Reese) Supposedly made for light trailers - less than 350 lbs tongue weight. We lost one of the bars and I used that as an excuse to buy the hitch we have now - some off-brand from U-Haul, round bars and it works great! Half the price of the "name" brands.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #7
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Have you looked at these?
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/
No chains, easy to use, works great.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
RCCBV1

Ok, I purchased an Equal-i-zer hitch. Thanks for all the input on the hitch. Next question. After you unhook, what do most of you do with the WDH equipment? In the old days, I just put the hardware next to the trailer. I have a sense that it might grow legs and find a new home some place else if I did that today.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I just put the bars on the tongue of the trailer and leave the hitch in the receiver. (I suppose you could just un-pin the bars and slide them up on the L-bracket.) Haven't given theft much of a thought. I suppose if the whole unit was laying there in a lump, it might be a real temptation.
Being basically lazy, I did get tired of the cranking up and down so I installed a electric jack in place of the old cranker. Installation was a breeze. Wish everything was so easy. Camping World had a sale on these for ~$185 delivered. 3000# Atwood
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...D=4511&src=TSC
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
CAmark
Site Sponsor

I lay the bars across the tongue. With the 2720SL (and DL?) the slide out hides these nicely. Of course it also hides the propane tanks but alas, a small price to pay....mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote