TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
CA_flyfisher

Default Towing with a Nissan Xterra

Has anyone had any experience towing a 2619 or 3023 with a V6 automatic xterra? I have an '04 rated for 5000 lbs. but I'm still a little worried. I think even with a WD hitch I'd be pushing it with a 3023 and maybe I should go with a 2619. Any comments would reall be appreciated as I am closing in on a possible deal.
Thanks
TJ
Old 05-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
Flycaster

Hello Flyfisher!

I tow my 3023 with almost three tons, pushed by a 5.6 liter V8 (305 hp) and sitting on 123 inches of wheelbase (tow rating of 9100 with a WDH). I have also have towed my 3023 with my 3.5 liter v6 (200 hp) with 107 inch wheelbase (tow rating of 5000 with a WDH), perfect for doing 55, in a straight line, on level ground, with, in my view, little margin for error when steering or braking in an emergency. As well, I think that a first-class proportional brake controller and weight-distributing hitch contributes a lot to safe towing.

Check the tow vehicle thread for lots of good conversation and debate.

Flycaster
Old 05-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
CA_flyfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycaster
Hello Flyfisher!

I tow my 3023 with almost three tons, pushed by a 5.6 liter V8 (305 hp) and sitting on 123 inches of wheelbase (tow rating of 9100 with a WDH). I have also have towed my 3023 with my 3.5 liter v6 (200 hp) with 107 inch wheelbase (tow rating of 5000 with a WDH), perfect for doing 55, in a straight line, on level ground, with, in my view, little margin for error when steering or braking in an emergency. As well, I think that a first-class proportional brake controller and weight-distributing hitch contributes a lot to safe towing.

Check the tow vehicle thread for lots of good conversation and debate.

Flycaster
Flycaster
You are pretty much validating what my gut feeling is telling me - that the 3023 is too much trailer for my vehicle. I have been surfing around the net and "little margin for error" seems to be the consensus. Thanks for your input.
flyfisher
Old 05-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
CA_flyfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_flyfisher
Has anyone had any experience towing a 2619 or 3023 with a V6 automatic xterra? I have an '04 rated for 5000 lbs. but I'm still a little worried. I think even with a WD hitch I'd be pushing it with a 3023 and maybe I should go with a 2619. Any comments would reall be appreciated as I am closing in on a possible deal.
Thanks
TJ
Texas Camper if you're out there I would appreciate your input. I have been reading this portion of the forum and you seem to know quite a bit about towing.
Thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
CA_flyfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
Gosh... don't know where I earned that reputation. I'm by no means a towing expert, but I tow my 2619 with a Chevy Trailblazer, tow cap = 5300 lbs. I've towed it over a mountain pass 9820' above sea level. The Trailblazer did OK both up and down the pass. I've towed one 600 mile and several 500 mile journeys ( one-way mileages) and the Trailblazer did OK. I've never towed higher than the above stated elevation, and did not break any speed records. I usually tow at 60 mph maximum and slower in the high country. Sometimes slower in the canyons too because of scenery, weather and traffic. I am sure that if I did get in the mountains on a long steep pull, I may have trouble maintaining 45 mph, but then again, I would probably be in the right or climbing lane behind some struggling 18 wheelers.
Now, having said that, it depends on where you tow and if you really need a monster truck to maintain 75 mph over mountain passes. I did tow my 2619 here on flat terrain with a Dodge Grand Caraven, tow cap = 3500 lbs and it was marginal, but I did it a few times. I'm sure my 2619 weighed close to 3500 lbs then. I still watch the weight..
The dry weight of a 3023 is listed by the factory @ 2915 lbs. That's without a/c, awning, propane, any other optional items.
I would estimate a fully loaded 3023 would weigh @ 4200 lbs, at least, ready to tow. With as much room as there is in a 3023, you have to be careful what you carry. If your tow vehicle is rated at 5000 lbs, it will tow 5000 lbs. It will not self destruct if you tow 5100 lbs, but in case of an accident, your insurance company may not pay if you're obviously overloaded, and they will weigh a rig if that is suspect. If I understand tow ratings correctly, three factors come into play: trailer weight, tow vehicle wheelbase and trailer shape. "regular" trailers have a large flat frontal area the contributes to wind resistance. The TM's low profile lessens this That is one reason TM's are "easy to tow". The Xterra has a 104 inch wheelbase, which would make me very apprehensive about towing a 3023. My Chevy Trailblazer has a 113 inch wheelbase and I consider that minimal for me...
Hope this helps...
Thanks Texas camper, I think I'll go with a 2619. I was worried about the wheelbase in towing a 3023. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
PopBeavers

You might want to take a look at the 2720. It is a foot longer than the 2619, which is pretty much dedicated to storage across the back, one third outside and two thirds inside. The rear bed is a queen instead of a double. I doubt that the extra foot would have a significant impact on towability, but don't quote me on that one.

We have the 2720 and I'm glad I have the extra storage space.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
pbuck1

I'm not Texas Camper, but here's my 2c what it's worth...
From what I've read through much googling and the desire to separate the wheat from the chaff concerning wheelbase and towing, TV wheelbase is not such a big factor for towing TMs. The links I've come across with any math or analysis backing them up point squarely to wheelbase being important for sway control (and weight distribution being important for emergency handling). The rules of thumb like "110 inches of wheelbase for a 20ft trailer, plus 4" wheelbase for each additional foot" are based on wind forces acting on the large surface area of the sides of a regular full height trailer and causing sway, so don't apply in the same way to a TM which inherently resists sway and has half the surface area of a regular trailer. Other links suggest that manufacturer's tow capacity figures already account for any lever effects involving trailer weight, wheelbase and overhang (rear axle to tow coupler distance). Of course tires, suspension and other factors are all part of the equation, too.

If you had a 3500lb tow rated TV then I think the 2619 vs 3023 decision would be important. But with a 5000lb tow rating IMHO I don't think it matters - you're going to have either a 750lb margin for one TM or a 1000lb margin for the other. Just load lightly and definitely use a WDH.

Of course with an Xterra, with both TMs it will be slow for the steep grades/high elevations. But whether to change the TV for a V8, long wheelbase, full-size pickup is a different decision involving other factors.

Have you seen this thread?: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ghlight=xterra

Paul
Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
angler_2

Default towing with 104 wheelbase

CA_flyfisher,
I have not had much esperince with towing my 2070sl with my 104 inch wheelbase liberty that has a 5,000lb rating also yet (just drove 500 miles over two mountain passes on way home from picking it up. Had no problems but did feel it pushing around corners but took it easy. Like you I did quite a bit of research to decide which tm to buy. A lot has to do with where you tow. Found that towing the 2720 with 104 wheel base is border line in research. Problm comes with going down hill around curves where tail will wag the dog and push you around the curves if not prepared and turn and brake adequately before the curve could get you in trouble. Several users in this forum warned me of this.
If you exepct to tow on mostly flat and straight roads you might be Ok with bigger than a 2720 but for me it woujldn't be worth the risk.

I found that the tv wheel base is an important factor to consider in research. in checking with jeep community found that the liberty could easily be rated to tow more than 5000 lb with diesel engine and all but jeep was concerned with people trying to tow long trailers if they were only looking at the tow rating. Bottom line- you need to consider wheel base for sure.

You might want use advance search for user RockyMtnRay. He has quite a bit of experience with towing a 2720sl with a 104 inch wheel base tv (jeep cherokee) and also did tow calculations for some users in this forum. Since I will also be towing in similar types of terrain that he had I was very interested in what he had to say.

Good luck in your TMing and fishing!
Old 05-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
CA_flyfisher

Thanks all,
The very fact that there is controversy tells me that the 3023 is a borderline idea with the Xterra. I live in CA where I will see a lot of grades so I want to be safe. Just to end the thread, unless you'd like to go on for the benefit of any other Xterra owners, I am going with either a 2619 or 2720. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
PopBeavers

fwiw

Last summer I weighed the TM for the first and only time. Knowing I was on a trip that would take me past some CAT scales, I loaded everything I could think of. Full of water everywhere, extra chairs and canopies, extra tables. The TM floor was completely covered, but only stacked up about 18 inches high.

Axle weight on the 2720 was 3380 pounds. I did not weigh the tongue. Axles on the TV were about 3200 each. So all things considered, the three axles were within 200 pounds of even weight distribution front to rear.

In reality, I never take all that stuff. I might if I was going for a week or more and I had someone besides DW with me.