TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Default Valley Odyssey brake controller instead of the Prodigy.

What to Buy????????????? Was going to buy the Prodigy but the Valley Odyssey brake controller looks to be better!!!!!!!!! Help?????
Old 03-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Debian Dog

Well it does look better but the Prodigy is "proven". I guess you could buy one and let us know
Old 03-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
sir1doc

I have the POD by Accu-power (about $40 at the dealer). I am sure it's the generic/cheapo beacuse when I bought my PU two yrs ago I negotiated the hitch and brake controller to be installed at the end of the deal so I'm sure I didn't get the top of the line. I am happy to report that after 2 seasons with the PU and one trip this year to pick up my TM it works just fine. My father has the prodigy with his TV with TT and also is pleased.
good luck with your choice
come on spring!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
PopBeavers

I have had the Valley Industries Odyssey brake controller since I bought my TM a year ago. I have not had any problems with it.

As far as I can tell, the Odyssey has the same features as the Prodigy with the following two improvements:

1. A broader range of mount angle. Mine is nearly vertical. This would be out of spec for the Prodigy.

2. The documentation for the Prodigy states that you will damage the controller if you engage the breakaway switch while bplugged into the TV. The Odyssey does not have this limitation. I accidentaly tested this feature once and can report that the controller is still working fine.

I was able to get the Odyssey slightly cheaper than the Prodigy, thanks to a tip from Larry Loo to look at Ebay, where I found an RV store that had it listed in the buy-it-now category.

I think you can get a lot of different plug in adapers for various TVs for the Prodigy. I was never able to find any for the Odyssey, although their web site at the time indicated that they had them. I even tried to special order it to no avail. So I made my own with a soldering iron.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Larry_Loo

Question Temporary mount for brake controller

I can't tell anyone how well my Valley Odyssey controller works because since installing it in my Ford F-150 last year, I haven't used it. Recently though I bought another truck, a used 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 and decided to install the Odyssey in it since the Ram is going to be my primary towing vehicle.

Where to mount the Odyssey, however, turned out to be a puzzler for me. Mounted on any location on both sides of the steering wheel the Odyssey seemed likely to become a knee knocker or interfere with the hand brake lever, hood release, elec. power outlet, ash tray compartment, or cup holders. I finally decided to mount the Odyssey on the left side just above my left knee. It might still turn out to be a knee knocker whenever I'm climbing into the driver's seat (with the Ram's 20" tires "climbing" is an apt description of how I get into the seat!). Therefore, I decided a temporary mount for the Odyssey would serve best. If I didn't like the brake controller's location, I could move it by relocating the velcro. In this way I'd not leave behind any unsightly screw holes used to attach the U-shaped mount.

Pics 1 and 2 show the velcro applied to a plastic housing under the dashboard and to the rear of the controller. Pic 3 shows the final "temporary" mounting of the Odyssey controller.

Postscript: I discovered that my knees sometimes brush the Odyssey when getting into the truck. While driving to a meeting 2 nights ago, I raised my seat to its highest position (improves visibility for "stature-challenged" individuals like myself). I was surprised to note that I could not see the controller's LED display while sitting so high. It was blocked by the wide left spoke of the steering wheel that contains some of the cruise control's buttons. Now I've got to experiment with another suitable location for it. An open shelf below the AC/heater console appears to be a good location that I can reach quite easily with my right hand. The only problem is that I don't know how to swing down the curved plastic, center housing in order to run the Odyssey's wires through the shelf's rear to the underside of the dashboard. Anyone know how to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odyssey controller1.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Odyssey controller2.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Odyssey controller4.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1158  
Old 06-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
PopBeavers

On the assumption that a lot of trucks and SUVs are purchased for the purpose of towing a trailer, you would think that the designers would makes some modest effort to consider where the customer could mount the brake controller.

Ford appears to be offering a controller built in. But if that is not the brand of controller that you want then now what.

Maybe some day.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
MidwestDave

Default Prodegy

I had my controler installed when my hitch and wiring harness were done.
The controller is installed in my 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan to the left of the steering assembly permanetly! No need to remove because it is out of the way! Works great!

Midwest Dave
John Deere country
Old 06-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Really like my Valley Odyssey controller works great and I mounted it on the left side like your first pic, every now and then my knee will hit it . I used the metal 2 hole bracket and not the pocket holder to mount it!!! This is the best place for me to see it and to work the slide control and keep my hand on the steering in a emergency stopping situation