TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
tiger8199

Default U-Haul

You are correct. When I was moving furniture a few months ago, I was going to borrow a friends V-8 Explorer to tow a trailer from U-Haul. When I made the reservation, they asked what my tow vehicle was and I told them an Explorer, there response was that they do not rent to Explorers.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #12
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8199
You are correct. When I was moving furniture a few months ago, I was going to borrow a friends V-8 Explorer to tow a trailer from U-Haul. When I made the reservation, they asked what my tow vehicle was and I told them an Explorer, there response was that they do not rent to Explorers.
It would be tempting to conclude that either U-Haul or their insurance company have concluded that the Explorer is a higher than average risk as a tow vehicle. I'm sure that Ford and any number of happy Explorer owners disagree.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
It would be tempting to conclude that either U-Haul or their insurance company have concluded that the Explorer is a higher than average risk as a tow vehicle. I'm sure that Ford and any number of happy Explorer owners disagree.

I have to disagree Wayne. The Explorer has been completely redesigned since the tire problem days and there are probably few interchangeable parts between the older ones and the new ones. U-Haul must know that. IMO they have probably concluded that the Explorer's unfortunate history has a higher than average risk of being used as a reason for litigation if it is involved in a accident regardless of the cause. Other (even inferior) vehicles would not provide the same excuse for a claim against U-Haul even in identical circumstances.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:17 PM   #14
PopBeavers

Frank,

Interesting perspective. Another plausible conclusion about the U-Haul policy.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:16 PM   #15
pbuck1

Here's U-Haul's official stated reason (from their web site):

Ford Explorer owners: U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 59 years by saying "yes" to our customers, and do not like saying "no" instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. Please contact 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) for assistance with alternative options.

Of course, if you have a Mercury Mounaineer, which is basically the same vehicle, there is no problem.

Paul
Old 03-25-2006, 07:14 AM   #16
PopBeavers

So back to my original "heads-up" regarding U-Haul...

For anyone shopping for a TV, and if they are considering the Explorer, it would be nice if the Ford salesman were to point out that the Explorer can not be used to tow trailers rented from U-Haul, but I don't think they would ever be that honest.

Like I said, it may not matter to anyone, but at least now there are a few more people that will not be surprised after the purchase of this special limitation.