TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
jeainsley

Default Murano with Continuous Variable transmission

3500# is the max tow rating for the 3.5l, but how's the transmission handling it with a TM. Anybody tried it? Looking to buy a used 2619 or 2720.

Need advice

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I suspect there is a huge gray area between what is recomended/safe and what you can get away with. How smart that is, is completely up to you.

Dry weight for a 2619 is 2673# and a 2720, 2742#. Check your vehicles payload capacity then deduct passenger weight, all your stuff, tongue weight, propane tank weight, fuel, etc.... Then look at you vehicle's GVWR and see where you're at. The following website is pretty good.

http://www.rvtowingtips.com/index.htm

My own rule of thumb is that you don't want go over 80% of any your rated capacities. And lastly.. how far are you going how often.. ?

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default An interesting article about your.......

......CVT! Nissan's CVT transaxle

Here's a quote from the article which hints that further research, vis-a-vis towing, may be called for:

"Heat is a major concern with a CVT design. The Nissan CVT can operate at 200 degrees C, so a special oil is needed that will not break down at these high temperatures. The Murano also incorporates three transmission coolers to prevent the oil from overheating."

HTH

Denny_A
Old 02-25-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
As Grill-n-Go said, those are dry weights, without any optional items. The actual weight of a TM, ready to tow is going to be 3000 lbs, at least, and I would guess that most are close to 3500. These "guesstaments" are for the 2619 and 2720 only... More for the larger units...
Or at least thats what I understand...
Fully loaded, my 2720 is 3380 pounds on the wheels. Add tongue weight on top of that.

I will admit I was loaded on the heavy side for that trip. Normally I am probably 150 pounds lighter than that.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
pbuck1

What you have going for you:

- the CVT in the Murano is apparently designed to handle the max torque the engine can supply plus about 10% more. Presumably the oil cooling system takes this and the towing spec into account.
- A 3500lb TM should present less aerodynamic drag than the types of trailers the 3500lb spec can include.
- the CVT should find the right gearing. At least there won't be a hunting problem or a "should I be in overdrive" question.

The usual comments about towing with a 3500lb tow spec crossover SUV still apply, of course. i.e. you are operating close to the limit; follow the user manual recommendations; and don't expect to be comfortable towing in the mountains.

Paul