TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
jellis

Default Equalizer hitch clearance problems

For any other newbies considering an Equal-I-zer WDH: look carefully at your installation requirements and your tongue-mounted hardware.
We bought the Equal-I-zer for our newly ordered 3124KB because we intend to carry two bikes on the factory supplied bike rack receiver on rear of the TM. We also have the 40-gallon water tank, which is located quite a bit forward of the axle. Both, of course, contribute to the possibility of sway. It's a great hitch and we are having absolutely no sway. However, there is a gotcha with this hitch and the location of the tongue-mounted data plate and emergency breakaway switch--at least on the 2006 3124KB. The Equal-I-zer instructions specify that the stabilizer bar brackets MUST be attached to the tongue at a specific location, with very little tolerance. (IIRC, it was 42" aft of the ball.) This equates to a very small space behind the breakaway switch and on top of the data plate. Both are located on the inside of the tongue.

Not wanting to void any warranties, etc. plus not having a drill, (Naturally, it was Friday night when we left with our new trailer, 200 miles from home; everybody's closed; nobody to consult, etc.), I elected not to move the breakaway switch. Bad choice. I attached the bracket at the correct location and used a couple of 1/4" spacers to clear the data plate, which is made of 3/16" aluminum plate. This was very near, but not touching the breakaway switch. The installation worked for several days and several hundred miles of towing. However, while setting up for camping and attaching shore power, we saw smoke coming from the shore power side and knew we had a problem.

Short story (so to speak) was that the bracket shifted slightly due to friction bars and rubbed through the insulation of a wire to the breakaway switch. This grounded the switch, applied the brakes and eventually burned up the switch and associated wiring. Luckily, we were stationary at the time. We took the TM back to the dealer, who diagnosed the problem, fixed it and applied for warranty, which was denied. TM's position appears to be that you really don't need a WDH with this trailer, the owner chose to install one anyway in a bad place, so this was owner error.

I understand their position and don't have any quarrel with it. However, we're new to trailering and, following this forum's advice, believe the WDH is
prudent under our circumstances. At $130, it was a cheap lesson to learn. I still think this is the best trailer we could have bought and would buy another in a heartbeat, as I would the Equal-i-zer. I'd just like to see TM move the breakaway switch and data plate, since I understand most WDHs use this area for brackets.

This is a bit embarrassing to recount, of course, but I have learned a lot at this site and would hope to save someone else an expensive lesson, just as others have done for us.

Jon and Rita
Old 11-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Bill & Lisa

We just had an equalizier hitch installed on our 2006 3023. The parts that you had a problem with are still in the same location on our 06. Luckily, we had our dealer install the hitch so the relocated and remounted the vin plate and rotated the breakaway switch so as to not interfere with the bracket. So far so good, but I for one am going to do a thorough inspection of that area next time I get my TM out of storage. It was rather dark when the dealer installed the hitch and I need to ensure the wire is not rubbing or being pinched. Thanks for sharing - I for one am going to try and benefit from your experience.

Bill
Old 11-19-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Thanks for the heads-up, Bill and Lisa. I have split the thread as you suggested.

The people at TM read everything, so this Towing Rigs forum is probably an appropriate place for the thread. And everyone else will see it here as well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

If TM actually refused to pay because they don't think you need a WDH, that was the first real "cop-out" I've known them to pull. I agree however that it was not a warranty issue. They can't possibly predict where every existing or future WDH will need to be mounted and it's up to us (or our installer) to move stuff around so it fits. I've forgotten what I did but I had to adjust the location of the emergency switch on our 2619 to accommodate our Equal-i-zer hitch and it was not a big deal.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo
If TM actually refused to pay because they don't think you need a WDH, that was the first real "cop-out" I've known them to pull.
TM's max trailer weights (for single, 3500 lb limit axle) is based on all tongue weight being carried on the hitch. So when using a WDH, user must reduce the maximum loaded weight of the trailer by a number of lbs equal to that which is distributed to the trailer axle.

Say a 2720 has a 4090 lb wt limit. If the tongue weight is 14.4% of 4090 (590 #), then the weight carried on the axle is 4090-590 = 3500 lbs.

Connect a WDH, distribute 1/3 of the tongue wt to the trailer axle, and the axle now carries 3700 lbs. Therefore, in order to remain legal, one would have to reduce the trailer load by about 200 lbs.

Trailmanor say "don't need a WDH" because it allows them to claim higher maximum weights.

I'm not familiar with newer models with 15" wheels and higher axle ratings, but I believe some models still have 3500 lb. limited axles - inso?

Denny (fading awayyyyyyyy......)_A
Old 11-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis
TM's position appears to be that you really don't need a WDH with this trailer, the owner chose to install one anyway in a bad place, so this was owner error.
Careful, folks. TM's position, clearly stated on their website, is that you DO need a weight-distributing hitch. It reads

"We recommend using a Class 3 hitch with load equalizing bars for most vehicles (not necessary on heavy trucks)."
I'm pretty sure that a Tundra does not count as a heavy truck.

TM has also added a nice section on "What does a loaded TM really weigh?". I imagine that was done in reponse to comments on this board, and I commend them for it. It goes well beyond the somewhat misleading specification of "dry weight", which is where so many manufacturers leave you.

Bill
Old 11-20-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Good catch Bill. Re the Tundra: Not only is the Tundra not a heavy duty truck but some models have a shorter wheelbase and resulting longer rear-axle to hitch distance than many of it's competitors. The good side of that is that it is more maneuverable than many other so-called half-ton trucks and is one of the primary reasons we own one.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:12 AM   #8
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Bill, I know I'm blind so can you give me a link to the page you mentioned on the TM site titled, "What does a loaded TM really weigh?" I can't see it.
Also, looking thru the site I see they have a Tow Vehicle reference page. The tow rating for my wifes Jimmy is stated to be 3600 lbs. The owners manual states 5300 lbs. What's that about?? http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Campin...owVehicles.htm
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

It is on the tow vehicle ratings page. I took some liberties with the title.

http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Campin...owVehicles.htm

Bill