TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
jima53

Default 99 astro and Trailmanors

We've pulled a 3300 pound popup loaded, with the Astro, only extras are the Transmission cooler I installed. Have the electric brakes that came with the popup. Travelled the Smokies, Blue Ridge Parkway and up and down the east coast several times. Does anyone have experience with your TrailManor and a Astro as the tow vehicle. Thanks for any info you might provide.

Jim in Jacksonville
Old 07-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
2bcs1jrt

We have a 99 Astro and, although we have yet to use our "new", old 1996 2518, which is the lightest they ever made (under 2200lbs dry) I do know that the former owner of my Astro towed a Palomino Hybrid trailer. A good deal larger and heavier than the TM I have. Don't know the weight but it is like a full on trailer with a pull out bed on each end. She replaced her Astro with a newer Astro and swears by them. I'll check back at the end of the month if you like. Will be using the trailer a lot in late Aug and September. Can't wait!
Cheri
Old 08-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
KdHammonds

Default Towing with Astro/Safari

We have owned a 98 3023 for three years and have towed it exclusively with a 98 GMC Safari AWD. We have never had any issue with the Safari towing the TM. The suitability of this type of "minivan" towing TMs has been discussed numerous times on this site. We have towed ours from Ohio to FL and back twice as well as to Michigan. We have never tried towing out west so I can not speak to really big mountains. However, we have towed through the Smokies without any problem. This combination of tow vehicle/camper fits our family of five very well.

I use an Equalizer hitch and Tekonsha Prodigy brake control.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

Default Towing with Astro/Safari

We have a '98 Safari and have been towing our '01 2720SL all over the West. We've been up to Lake Tahoe and over Grants Pass into Oregon and Washington State. We do have to drop out of "D" into "3" on some of the grades, but can still move along plenty fast enough to pass trucks and other RV trailers!. There are two of us and two German Shepherds and a Boston Terrier and "stuff" in the van and the usual load in the TM. We also use "3" in going down some long steep stretches to take the pressure off all the brakes. We use an EQ hitch (have sway bar, but have never felt the need to use it) and a transmission cooler. The TM tucks in neatly behind the van and I can even see over the top of the trailer in my rear view mirror! Just a small slice of view, I'll grant you, but enough to fill in any blind spots from the side mirrors. Hooked up we usually get 13-15 mpg. I've always been curious as to which tow rig/trailer combo gets the best MPG. Maybe that should be a thread?

jp
Old 08-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
Bruce

Default Just checking

Uh.., just checking JP. Did you read the owner's manual for your Astro Van?
I have a '96 Astro and the manual specifically states that one should never tow with the overdrive activated (D range on the gear selector). It says that doing so will overheat the tranny.
I tow our 3124 in 3rd, as recommended, and get 15 -16 mpg. Sometimes I'll slip it into D on a totally flat stretch just to lower the rev's some but I notice the strain on the drivetrain when I have to push the accelerator to go uphill.
Towing in D causes the transmission to "hunt" between 3rd and 4th gear all the time adding stress to the engine and transmission.