TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
tperry

Default CA to NH in an Pathfinder

May wife, 9 month old son, dog and I are traveling from CA to NH in late September. We are looking at the TM 2619 for the trip. Our preferred route would take us through the heart of the rockies. The 5000# towing capacity leads me to believe that I am okay with the 2619 but I want to make sure. Has anyone used this configuration or have experienced input? This is my first RV and first trip...I can use all the input I can get.

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-03-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Depends on which model Pathfinder...and which engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperry
May wife, 9 month old son, dog and I are traveling from CA to NH in late September. We are looking at the TM 2619 for the trip. Our preferred route would take us through the heart of the rockies. The 5000# towing capacity leads me to believe that I am okay with the 2619 but I want to make sure. Has anyone used this configuration or have experienced input? This is my first RV and first trip...I can use all the input I can get.

Thanks
Tom
"heart of the rockies" sorta sounds like you're thinking Colorado and, if so, you will be dealing with some of the highest altitude highways on the planet (several main highways in Colorado exceed 12,000 feet). And high altitude means greatly reduced engine power (a whopping 40% less at 12,000 feet)...which means your "tow capacity" has to be reduced by the same percentage. Plus tow capacity is a misleading number anyway...it's how much a bare-bones version of your vehicle could tow if it only had a driver in it...no options, no cargo, no passengers, no gas, etc. Add in all the options you have, a load of passengers & cargo, a tank of gas, etc. and the real world tow capability is typically 1000 lbs less...or around 4000 lbs. A loaded for trans-continental travel 2619 will likely weigh around 3500 lbs...which doesn't give you much margin. Reduce the 4000lbs by even 30% due to altitude and even a light 2619 would be over your Pathfinders altitude adjusted tow capacity.

The early Pathfinders with the small V6 probably would struggle very hard (like be down to 25 mph for miles at a time) while climbing the numerous grades involved in a crossing of Colorado. The later ones have more torque and would still be down to 45 to 50 mph or so, but wouldn't struggle nearly as badly.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
tperry

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks Ray, I came to the same conclusion after additional research. I also have a 2001 Tundra with much less interior room but greater towing capacity. I think we will have to tow with it instead.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperry
Thanks Ray, I came to the same conclusion after additional research. I also have a 2001 Tundra with much less interior room but greater towing capacity. I think we will have to tow with it instead.
Welcome. Your Tundra will do quite well for towing a 2619 across even the highest/steepest passes in Colorado...though you will need to rev it up to around 4500 RPM in 2nd gear for most of the longer steeper climbs.

I've substantially modified my Tundra...not because it couldn't stay with traffic (at least 60 mph on all climbs) when towing my 2720SL (several hundred lbs more than a 2619)...but because I didn't want to have to use 2nd gear as much. I can now tow up all but the very steepest and highest grades in 3rd gear.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

Old 07-31-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
mav1124

I have a 2005 Pathfinder and was looking at the 2720SL. according the pathfinder spec's 6000 towing cap. the 2720sl is all I can tow since the new pathfinder is 110 ". I got 297 ft lbs torque, 270 hp. I will have a equalizer hitch, prodigy brake controller, transmission cooler already installed.
Since a loaded up 2720sl appears to be from another post, 3500 lbs I should be ok. PS I only plan to pull the camper in the south with a few trips to the lower smokies
in N. C. Am I in the ball park on pulling a TM 2720sl.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1124
I have a 2005 Pathfinder and was looking at the 2720SL. according the pathfinder spec's 6000 towing cap. the 2720sl is all I can tow since the new pathfinder is 110 ". I got 297 ft lbs torque, 270 hp. I will have a equalizer hitch, prodigy brake controller, transmission cooler already installed.
Since a loaded up 2720sl appears to be from another post, 3500 lbs I should be ok. PS I only plan to pull the camper in the south with a few trips to the lower smokies
in N. C. Am I in the ball park on pulling a TM 2720sl.
Should work well for a 2720SL. Depending on exactly what RPM that 297 ft-lbs of torque is reached, you may also do fairly well even in the higher mountains of the west.