TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
ReefDivr

Default Honda Pilot?

Hi folks!

I'm seriously considering a new TM to replace my Coleman tent trailer. Problem is, I didn't even know they existed when I recently purchased my 2005 Honda Pilot. The Pilot would be able to tow my tent trailer just fine which is why it was acceptable. I'm wondering how it might do with a TM. My wife and I have decided we want to go with a trailer that is easier to heat and cool, offers a little more security and has a real bathroom, yet keep it in our (large) garage.

Ideally, I would like to get a 3023 but I think that might push it. The specs say I can make it with that, but I'd like to know what you all think. We live on the East Coast, but would like to make it out west from time to time since that's where I'm from.

So, 3023 or 2720???

Here are the specs for my Pilot:
Engine Type V6
Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net) 255 @ 5600
Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 250 @ 4500
Capacity of 4500 lbs. is for boat trailers and 3500 lbs. for all other trailers.
Maximum Tongue Load 450 lbs.

By the way, that towing capacity assumes that you DO have 4 passengers and baggage in the Pilot (which we typically will).

The Pilot is an SUV built on a minivan frame.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

I have a 2720Sl (2004) which I pull with our 2004 Pilot. I have been through mountains in VT, NY, and Pennsylvania with little to no problems.

I have a WD hitch and keep the trailer loaded evenly with the weight biased to the front. Other than an occasional sway induced by hanging our bikes off our trailers rear bumper, our combo tows like a dream.

The biggest difference between the 3023 and 2720Sl is the load capacity of the 3023. The 3023 can be loaded more than the 2720SL which could push the limits of our Pilots.

If I was going to tow cross country, I'd probably opt for a larger tow rig such as a V-8 truck. But for local trips in the Northeast, I'm comfortable with the Pilot.

Good luck!

Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefDivr
Hi folks!

I'm seriously considering a new TM to replace my Coleman tent trailer. Problem is, I didn't even know they existed when I recently purchased my 2005 Honda Pilot. The Pilot would be able to tow my tent trailer just fine which is why it was acceptable. I'm wondering how it might do with a TM. My wife and I have decided we want to go with a trailer that is easier to heat and cool, offers a little more security and has a real bathroom, yet keep it in our (large) garage.

Ideally, I would like to get a 3023 but I think that might push it. The specs say I can make it with that, but I'd like to know what you all think. We live on the East Coast, but would like to make it out west from time to time since that's where I'm from.

So, 3023 or 2720???
Old 02-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Really Iffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefDivr
Hi folks!

So, 3023 or 2720???

Here are the specs for my Pilot:
Engine Type V6
Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net) 255 @ 5600
Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 250 @ 4500
Capacity of 4500 lbs. is for boat trailers and 3500 lbs. for all other trailers.
Maximum Tongue Load 450 lbs.

By the way, that towing capacity assumes that you DO have 4 passengers and baggage in the Pilot (which we typically will).

The Pilot is an SUV built on a minivan frame.
Towing with a Pilot has been discussed at great length in times past...do a search to dig up the relevant thread(s). As I recall the consensus was that "3500 lbs for all other trailers" rating does apply to towing even a low profile/lightweight trailer like a TM.

While you're reading, keep in mind keep in mind that the weights on the TrailManor website (like all RV manufacturer published weights) are so unrealistically light as to be dangerously misleading. Also keep in mind that because of their highly sway resistant rearward axle location, all TMs have fairly high (over 450 lb) tongue weights when loaded (tongue weight on my 2720SL is around 650 lbs). Even with a perfectly adjusted Weight Distributing Hitch the tongue "load" could be at or over 450 lbs. As for realistic total weights, a loaded for camping 2720 will weigh around 3200 to 4000 lbs; a loaded for camping 3023 will likely weigh around 3500 to 3800 lbs and could weigh as much as 4900 lbs.

Another issue is wheelbase...a Pilot's fairly short (106 inch) wheelbase doesn't provide much leverage against trailer induced movement (like sway)...it would be sufficient for a TM 2619 or 2720 but a 3023 is pushing the limit.

Finally, the 4500 RPM for max torque (a critical number for towing and far more important than horsepower) is incredibly high by comparison to other comparable SUVs. I just checked and found that Honda is using a 4.43 axle ratio in an attempt to turn those screamingly high revs into useful torque at the wheels.

My assessment is a Pilot would likely have to work pretty hard to tow a TM larger than a 2720 in the east and would be extremely challenged to tow any TM...and especially a heavily laden 3023....over the high and steep western mountains.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:51 AM   #4
Factor

Default Honda

I'm towing my 3023 with a Montana AWD, towing capacity 3600 lbs. Towed fine, but, have not taken it into any mountain region. I have the trailering package and am going to add a tranmission cooler for our trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. The area around the great lakes in Ontario is pretty hilly so should test it. I do intend to trade up, but, can't do it until 2006. We tow with a minimum of cargo, clothes and bedding.

3023 TM - 2003 Montana AWD