TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #11
Windbreaker

RMR, I know it is counter to you position on this matter but you really should stress that 1/3 of the hitch weight is going to the trailer axle. TMs (mine at least) have a very low CCC and the WDH shifts that into the "put nothing in the trailer" range. That and the fact that I can tell no reduction in breaking/steering or increase in bounce is why I don't use it. The rig is set up for it, I just can't see a reason for using it and having to carry everything in the truck.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Maybe and Agree for your unique circumstances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windbreaker
RMR, I know it is counter to you position on this matter but you really should stress that 1/3 of the hitch weight is going to the trailer axle. TMs (mine at least) have a very low CCC and the WDH shifts that into the "put nothing in the trailer" range.
Agree on the importance of considering that. Maybe and maybe not on whether the trailer will be overloaded if 1/3 of the tongue weight is transferred.

I've had my trailer/rig weighed twice and found that I can transfer 160 lbs to the trailer axle from the WDH, fill both the fresh & hot water tanks, charge the toilet with 3 gallons, fill both propane tanks, load the thing to the gills with clothes/food/gear for 2 weeks of un-resupplied boondock camping and still be ~50 lbs under the 4050 GVWR...and with an axle load of only 3500 lbs (right at Dexter's axle rating, 200 lbs less than TM's axle rating). And I've got the AC, 50 lbs of solar panels, an extra 60 lbs of battery weight (dual Golf Cart batteries), the awning, a microwave, the swing away hitch, & the overhead kitchen cabinet. And I've added two extra hardwood cabinets traveling on the floor. Yes, I do front load the trailer as much as possible to get some of that weight onto the truck (which is why I have a 650 lb tonque weight). All in all, I'm putting around 600 to 700 lbs of water/clothes/gear/food in my TM and that hardly could be considered "nothing in the trailer".

I would therefore argue that most TM owners do have the spare GVWR and GAWR to handle a 150 to 180 lb tongue weight transfer back from the WDH.
Quote:
That and the fact that I can tell no reduction in breaking/steering or increase in bounce is why I don't use it. The rig is set up for it, I just can't see a reason for using it and having to carry everything in the truck.
As I recall you have a very long truck with an extended or double cab and a 8 foot bed. Which means a wheelbase that's probably in the 150 to 160 inch range. It's also an HD model and you have a cap on the bed. Let's assume you have about 3000 lbs on the front wheels when you, DW, and cargo are loaded. The ratio of a 48 inch overhang to a 155 inch wheelbase is about .31; multiply that times the 500 lb tongue weight and you are unweighting your front suspension by about 155 lbs. Since 155 lbs is only about 5% of the normal weight on the front suspension, I would not expect you to feel much if any difference in ride nor in braking/steering under normal conditions. Since I don't recall you mentioning that you do much if any towing on steep, sharply curving roads...especially where the curves can have loose sand on the pavement...or much large city expressway towing where panic stops are pretty common...or much towing in icy roads, you'll probably never have to depend on that missing 5% of front tire traction.

Sooo, because you have an exceptionally long wheelbase truck which minimizes the leveraging effect of the tongue weight, and that truck also has a heavy front end truck which makes the amount of tongue-induced unweighting a small percentage of that weight, and you don't tow anywhere near the limits of tire adhesion, you can indeed safely tow a smaller TM without needing a WDH. Those are 3 really big mitigating factors and very few other people will have them, ergo nearly everyone else really does need a WDH.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:38 PM   #13
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Try it without the hitch first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stach
I have a 2002 F150 Super Crew pickup with 5.4 liter engine (four wheel drive). Do I need a load leveler hitch for the TrailManor manor 2619 or can I get by with the existing hitch on the vehicle? Thanks for any input. Ken Stach
I towed my 2720 & 2720SL throughout Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri & Texas with a 2002 F150 standard cab - short bed - two wheel drive. I never had a safety issue with the combination wet or dry, hills & curves, flat and straight or city or country. I did finally put a WD hitch on the truck to help with the ride on rough back roads and US 167 north of Little Rock. Without the WD hitch, the F150/2720 would get to bounding and jerking on the low quality roads. The WD hitch takes most of this out of the system.

Your 4WD has a stiffer suspension system than my 2WD did. I wouldn't think that you will need the WD hitch for safety. You might want it for ride quality.

Mike

P.S. I don't use the WD hitch with the F250.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #14
braymon2

I know your post was back in Feb '05 but I think you have the same TM and TV that I'm looking to buy.I was looking at the 2005 F-150 XLT SuperCrew with the 3.73. Is this too much vehicle for the TM? Should I consider something witha lesser tow capacity? Appreciate your advice.

Bill R
Palm Harbor, FL