TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-10-2022, 05:43 PM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
I really do appreciate your input/advice but breakaway trailers aint one of them.
While I agree breakaway switches are an important added safety measure, the incidences of their use is so minuscule as to almost be nill. (Incidents of trailer miles driven vs full trailer breakaways). It's almost a belt and suspenders issue.
When I lived in Beverly Hills (probably around 2008), there was a guy towing a travel trailer on the Hollywood Freeway. The trailer started swaying. The swaying was so violent that it ripped the trailer hitch off of the SUV that was towing it. In doing so, the connection that the trailer break-awy cable was attached to went with the trailer hitch. 3-people were killed in the ensuing, muti-vehicle, accident and the freeway was shut down for 3-days because of that accident.

I learned a big lesson from that incident and I started clipping the cable to a dog leash that I wrapped around the frame of me TV, instead of hooking it up where the safety chains go.

Low and behold, about 10-years later, I bought a Class A motothome and neglected to hook my break-away cable to my frame cable. Sure as hell, I was about 2-blocks from home, on my way to a campout and MY trailer hitch broke as I was pulling away from a stoplight. The trailer rolled backwards, about 20' and hit a car that was behind me. Thank goodness that car was there because it would have been a real mess if that trailer would have picked up speed, rolling back down that hill. These pics tell the story.

The moral of this story is, not only are trailer brakes important but where you attach the cable is equally important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Accident5.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	20532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accident6b.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	20533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accident7.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	20534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accident1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	20535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accident5a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	20536  

Old 02-10-2022, 09:12 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
I learned a big lesson from that incident and I started clipping the cable to a dog leash that I wrapped around the frame of me TV, instead of hooking it up where the safety chains go.
You make an excellent point. If the trailer's coupler is attached to the hitchball, and the hitchball plus the chains and the breakaway pull wire are all attached to the hitch, and you lose the hitch - things get real messy real fast. I like the dog leash idea, or at least something similar to it. I will figure out how to do it before our next big trip in May. I'm thinking (danger!) that I could attach a loop to some part of the pickup bed, and hang it out under the bottom of the tailgate. We'll see.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:11 PM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I will figure out how to do it before our next big trip in May. I'm thinking (danger!) that I could attach a loop to some part of the pickup bed, and hang it out under the bottom of the tailgate. We'll see.

Bill
Bill, I've gotta tell you. That whole incident shook me up so bad (because of the potential of it) that's when I decided to sell our motorhome, RZR and cargo trailer. Funny how stuff like that can shake a guy up. This is the guy that sailed around the world twice in a small boat. I don't shake-up very easily.

It doesn't take much to pull the plug on the trailer emergency brake. On my new set up, I just fastened a plastic couted 3/16 stranded cable (routed over the top of the hitch) to the under side of the bed, just forward of the trailer hitch.

When I took my motorhome into a custom hitch welder, he told me that those trailer hitches break off like that a lot. He had a whole pile of them in the corner of his shop.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #14
Tymanthius

Quote:
I really do appreciate your input/advice but breakaway trailers aint one of them. I think I may have an old marine 12v laying around somewhere, I could slap that in. I will have to see if I do, and throw a trickle charger on it. Great idea!

While I agree breakaway switches are an important added safety measure, the incidences of their use is so minuscule as to almost be nill. (Incidents of trailer miles driven vs full trailer breakaways). It's almost a belt and suspenders issue.

To be deployed all these things need to happen, and in TM land with the arguably ultralight trailers that TM's are, a breakaway is extremely unlikely.

* Hitch pin either not used/broken, or falls out.
* Tongue latch not applied properly, not applied at all, broken or opens "all by it's self (see not applied properly).
* BOTH safety chains/cables not applied, falls off or breaks.
* And if you are using an anti-sway of WDH that's one more connection that needs to be misapplied, applied incorrectly or broken.

I actually searched the inter-web looking for examples of a breakaway system being used, and couldn't find it.

One last thing, as I tell everyone I talk to, safety signs, regulations and limits are there for your protection. Violate them at your own discretion. AFWWIW, I use my breakaway switch connection EVERY TIME I TOW. [OK maybe not THIS trip LOL]

I had an 8x10 light utility trailer pop off the ball. And one of the chains snapped as well. And I've been towing trailers of many sizes for 30+ years.
If it can happen to something that light, it can happen to a TM. Don't ignore safety systems for real trips. If you're just limping it to where it can be repaired, that's acceptable.
SoftStart AC*
Futon Style Couch*

*All done by previous owners
Tymanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #15
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

All excellent anecdotes guys! I heard another story about the whole shootin match come off before... Ugly.

Last time I hooked up I was looking for a frame based place to attached the breakaway cable. The whole "rusted out" hitch can be a concern!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:32 AM   #16
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Wavery: What was in the utility trailer?
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 02-11-2022, 09:44 AM   #17
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

That is an incredible story, Wayne. It could have been so much worse. Perfect example of things that can go wrong, even when you think you're doing everything right, by virtue of the errors of others. I see that hitch was made in the USA, too -- do you know if your insurance company ended up filing a claim against the manufacturer?

I too am now going to look for a place on the frame to attach that cable. I already looked briefly, and didn't see anything obvious towards the center of the vehicle. There are some easy spots on the sides, but that's less ideal for making turns.

Note also to others doing this that, in addition to plastic coated cable, you can also buy stainless cable. My OEM break away cable rusted years ago, and so that's what I used to replace it. At such a thin diameter, it's pretty inexpensive.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Wavery: What was in the utility trailer?
My 1500# RZR and misc tools was in the trailer. I always get my trailers weights (fully loaded) at a weigh station. Trailer axle weight 4100#. Tongue weight 390# (a little low acceptable with tandem axles). Way below all weight ratings. That trailer hitch is rated @ 6K# and 600# tongue weight.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:11 PM   #19
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Wow..Scary! Thanks for the input guys!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 03-01-2022, 08:28 AM   #20
richiii1

Thanks for the helpful information
richiii1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags