TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-29-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
KB7OUR

Default TV Shelf Question

Just received my TV shelf from TM. For anyone out there who has one, how are the L brackets used? I have the wall brackets similar to the ones on the hanging kitchen cabinet but also have some L brackets to provide extra strength. Do the L brackets stay attached to the shelf and just lean against the TM wall when you hang it? I plan to mount our shelf above the stove, as high as it will go so as not to be a safety concern.

Wade
Old 06-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

Default Re:TV Shelf Question

As installed by the factory the two "U" wall brackets are mounted at the foot of the rear bed next to the toilet/shower wall (a little over half way up the wall between the bed and the ceiling). The shelf "L" brackets fit into and hang from the "U" brackets. The braces are screwed in the bottom of the shelf (no wall contact) and the tapered ends are padded and just rest on the wall . With regard to installation at other locations You may want to check with the factory regarding potential clearance problems (when folding) and the best screw anchoring points on the wall. Cheers, Dick
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
KB7OUR

rpcoombs,

Thanks for the fast turnaround on your reply . This is exactly what I needed. Clearance is not a problem as the wall brackets are very shallow. Also, TM provided molly bolts to secure them to the wall and with the extra L brackets resting against the wall under the shelf it should make for a fairly sturdy arrangement. Now on to the couch install. I'm replacing the 2 chairs and center table with a small couch (one with 4 drawers) and just received eveything today. Toughest part will likely be cutting away the carpet where the couch frame mounts to the floor, although TM said that was not necessary. I plan to liquid nail the frame in addition to using supplied screws so I must remove the carpet first. Hope it turns out well.

Wade
Old 06-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #4
live2shopnc

I am thinking of getting the tv shelf and putting it in the bathroom for extra storage.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
harvsterg

How about a Picture of the shelf after you get it mounted
Old 06-30-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
KB7OUR

I will try to post one if I have time before we leave for vac on Sat morning. Got the couch installed yesterday afternoon so the shelf may go up this evening. Also need to route a cable jack nearby.

Wade
Old 06-30-2004, 09:36 AM   #7
Red

How much weight do these shelfs hold? My TV weighs approx. 20 lbs., is that too much?
Red
Old 06-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #8
KB7OUR

When the wall starts to warp then back off the weight a little ;D .

Not sure exactly what they will hold, but one would hope at least the weight of an average 9" or 13" TV. A call to the factory may be in order to get a clear answer.

Wade
Old 07-20-2004, 07:19 AM   #9
Red

Contacted TM about the TV shelf about a week ago. They told me that the shelfs are tested to hold 40-50 lbs. However, they suggest not more than approx. 20 lbs. be placed on them.
My dealer ordered the shelf and an extra set of support brackets for me. I had him place a set of support brackets in the bed area, and in the living area (we have a 2720SL). This way we can use the tray in the bedroom for the TV, clock/radio or laptop. Our dealer reassured me that the living room wall would support the weight in this area where he installed it. I had him place a set of brackets on the sink and refrigerator side wall, between the windows.
We will be taking the rig out this weekend, we'll see how well they hold.
Keep your finger crossed. I noticed that the brace that hooks into the wall looks a little short, just hope that it will be ok.
I will warn you, TM is proud of these TV trays...I found them a little expensive, but went ahead and ordered it so that it would be the same as the one found in other TM's.

Red
Old 07-20-2004, 07:01 PM   #10
harvsterg

How about some pictures of the TV tray installed in your TM