TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Default Considering Honda Pilot

My current tow vehicle is a 1988 Ford Bronco. It does just fine, of course, towing my 3023, but it IS an old vehicle, and although reliable most of the time, it isn't the most convenient/comfortable vehicle to tow long distances, and with a vehicle that old, anything could go wrong at any minute.

I have been thinking about a Honda Pilot, and one based on my search criteria recently showed up on an alert. It is a 2014, V6, 5-speed auto, 250hp, 4x4.

It has a tow hitch, but I haven't looked at the vehicle yet, nor have I contacted the dealer to find out if it has a factory tow package, which I would consider a requirement.

I don't necessarily trust dealers to be completely honest, and quite frankly, I don't know what to look for to know if it does indeed have a factory tow package. Is there a way to tell from the VIN? I know it should have a beefed up radiator, but what should I look for to know that it has a factory tow package?

Also, any opinions on the Honda Pilot as a TV with a TM3023? Mine is stripped down, with the two couches removed, so a little lighter than factory, even accounting for the flooring I will be installing. Although in the end, probably not enough to make it significantly lighter. My previous tow vehicle was a Chrysler Town & Country, also a V6, with factory tow package, and it did just fine, even multiple trips VA-MO, VA-TN, VA-NH - so lots of mountains in all those trips.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Holly

Try going to the Honda website and do a chat. Ask if you can give them the vin and get a list of all options. I did this before I bought my used Chevy traverse for the same reason....wanted to verify it was factory installed tow package. It was helpful.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
Holly

Try going to the Honda website and do a chat. Ask if you can give them the vin and get a list of all options.
Oh wow! Thanks! I never would have thought of that, simply because I wouldn't think they would 'chat' with me looking at a used vehicle. I just know I absolutely loved my Honda Element (until my daughter rolled & totaled it), and I like the look of the Pilot (pre-2016 - don't like the body changes in the 2016 on).
Old 05-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
mecicon
TrailManor Master

IIRC a Pilot has a tow rating of 4,500 with a tow package.

The "tow package" is a trans cooler, hitch and a 7 pin bargman receptacle. You will have to add a brake controller.

As previously mentioned some of my assertions may be incorrect.

Edit: some tow ratings in later models = 5,000.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

About 5 years ago, when I bought a 2005 Jeep Wrangler (for bopping round the desert, not for towing), I emailed Jeep Customer Service and asked for a "build sheet". Two days later, it was in my hand, with a short but polite note. It was 2 or 3 single-spaced pages long, and showed everything that was on my Jeep when it left the factory, along with the Jeep stock number.

I have no idea if Honda would do the same thing, but maybe ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
... I like the look of the Pilot (pre-2016 - don't like the body changes in the 2016 on).
I believe you are referring to the body style which came out in 2009, and below is a link to a Popular Mechanics article talking about the capacity being 4500 lbs. and that all models already have the tow package built in, which is good to know, though that may have changed in later years.

IMHO the 3023 puts you in a higher TM weight category; smaller then 3023, and a 4500 lbs tow rating works OK, but for 3023 and higher weight TM's, I believe you need more than that.

I am not trying to start a tow vehicle "Holy War" but given you have a 3023 plus you have been pulling it with a 1988 Bronco which I am assuming has a 6000+ lbs tow rating, you should consider vehicles that at a minimum match that same rating.

We had a 1st generation Honda Pilot and loved it, and then a 1st gen Acura MDX, but once I found our 3023 and I did the "towing math", I felt a 4500-5000 lbs rated tow vehicle was cutting it too close for comfort with very little margin for error. I ended up getting a Ford Explorer V8 which worked excellent until transmission issues, and now our Lexus GX470 which on our first trip this year worked flawlessly.

Good luck with your search ...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a5341/4258792/
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

According to VIN, it has the following (short list, relative to towing only)

Engine: 3.5L V6 24-Valve SOHC i-VTEC

Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic

4.312 Axle Ratio

GVWR: 6,096 lbs

Class III Towing w/Hitch

1633# Maximum Payload

Transmission w/Driver Selectable Mode and Oil Cooler

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 4500 lbs 4500.0 min 4500.0 max

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 450 lbs 450.0 min 450.0 max Wt

Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 4500 lbs 4500.0 min 4500.0 max Wt

Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 450 lbs 450.0 min 450.0 max

Maximum Trailering Capacity 4500 lbs 4500.0 min 4500.0 max

Nothing about a connector (4-pin or 7-pin), but I can buy just the wiring harness with connectors for my brake system, and it's easy enough (well, other than several contortionist position required) to install.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2_wdc View Post

I am not trying to start a tow vehicle "Holy War" but given you have a 3023 plus you have been pulling it with a 1988 Bronco which I am assuming has a 6000+ lbs tow rating, you should consider vehicles that at a minimum match that same rating.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a5341/4258792/

I'll have to look at all the old info on the Town & Country that I first used to tow the 3023. Towed the small Coleman with it first, but it actually handled the TM very well, including several trips back and forth over the Blue Ridge through VA & WV, and several trips to NH from VA as well, with driving around in NH/VT with the trailer once there. That was with 2 adults, 2 kids, and all the crap that goes with that. Now, it's just me and the dogs - a lot less loading, including not having 4 bikes on a bike rack on the back of the TM. If the T&C was only 4500, I would think the Pilot could handle this well. But I'd have to check that info first.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
I'll have to look at all the old info on the Town & Country that I first used to tow the 3023. Towed the small Coleman with it first, but it actually handled the TM very well, including several trips back and forth over the Blue Ridge through VA & WV, and several trips to NH from VA as well, with driving around in NH/VT with the trailer once there. That was with 2 adults, 2 kids, and all the crap that goes with that. Now, it's just me and the dogs - a lot less loading, including not having 4 bikes on a bike rack on the back of the TM. If the T&C was only 4500, I would think the Pilot could handle this well. But I'd have to check that info first.

Thanks!

I agree with you that a 4500 lbs rating will work, but everyone has their own definition on what "works" means!

For us, I was concerned about how close we were getting to the tow rating calculation with all the other stuff you mentioned (bikes and all other camping related items) added to the weight of the 3023 itself. To me, this effects getting safely through bad weather, panic stops, up hills, getting out in traffic; the closer you get to the rating, the less margin of error if/when things go badly.

So for us, our decision was based on wanting a higher margin of error; your decision will be based on what works best for the majority of your hauling scenarios when you camp, apparently much less to haul more recently!

You clearly have enough towing experience to suggest I'm being overly cautious with my calculations, and you would be 100% correct
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

I don't think you are being at all overcautious. The reason I'm even debating is I have a 32 mile commute to work, over mountains, and I absolutely need 4x4 on my road in the winter & spring. My Tribute does just fine for my commute to work, and my plan is to keep it, for my daily driver, and whatever I buy will be more for weekends and my TV. The Bronco isn't driven much - just when the Tribute is in the shop, or my daughter's car is in the shop (she gets my Tribute, I drive the Bronco - it has way too much power for either of my kids to handle safely, and the aren't used to the old steering & braking systems).

Anyway..... If the Pilot (or whatever) can be a car that gets decent mileage, I will sell the Tribute - I don't need 3 cars in my driveway, my garage only fits 2, and in the summer my mower takes up one of those spots. Hence the reason for wanting to stay with a v6 if at all possible. The Bronco isn't going anywhere - I'm the original owner, and ordered it from the factory - she only has 126K miles - not bad for an '88.

I always felt comfortable with the T&C, and actually worried more with the Bronco - probably because of the age, nothing more. I also need a short wheel base to get the TM into the road that goes to my barn - which is where I park it in the winter - not in the barn, but up by it, so it isn't taking up room in the driveway when I need to have heavy equipment in to clear snow. More than likely, even the Pilot won't make the turn with the TM - I'll still have to use the Bronco to get it up to the barn and back out again.

I'll have to pull files tonight when I finally get home from work, to see what the T&C was - it handled the TM fine, with all our crap, and I know it was only a v6 with a towing package - but I don't know the specifics of it's tow rating.

Thanks for everyone chiming in! I appreciate other thoughts & ideas!