TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #1
KdHammonds

Default TrailManor Accessories

I am trying to gear up for my first season as a TM owner.  I would like to ask those of you who are experts some questions.

1.)  I know I will need a fresh water hose and a general garden hose wouldn't hurt.  Has anyone ever used or tried the flat hoses that roll up on a spool.  I have seen them on the Camping World web site and they look like they would be very space efficient.  My concern is are they durable?

2.)  Is a water pressure regulator necessary?

3.)  I have towed the camper a couple times now with our 98 GMC Safari without extra mirrors.  I would like to purchase some for the added visibility.  Anyone use accessory mirrors on a Safari or Astro?  Recommendations?

4.)  We live in central Ohio, south of Columbus.  Does anyone have any favorite campgrounds nearby (<150 miles) they would recommend?

I am sure I will have more questions and this board is a great resource.

Thanks to All,

Keith
Old 03-08-2003, 10:53 PM   #2
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Default Re: TrailManor Accessories

Quote:
2.) Is a water pressure regulator necessary?
Yes, because not all campgrounds regulate the water pessure to the acceptable psi for the TM plumbing. If you put it on at the spigot end of the hose, you will also spare the hose from excessive pressure.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:33 AM   #3
dennisu

extended mirrors are a cheap addition, provided you don't buy the real expensive ones.  i tow with a ford 350 super duty van and it sits high and wide that i really don't need them.  however, i bought a 2002 toyota tundra to tow my 3023 for non business trips and the extended mirrors were worth every penny of the 13.00$ cost apiece.  i cannot tell you the brand name but they attach to the plastic frame of the vehicles mirror and have adjustable heavy duty rubber strapping  that makes them easy to install and they are very secure to the vehicles mirror.  again just my one cents worth.  
Old 03-09-2003, 05:21 AM   #4
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

Congrats on joing this august body!  We know you'll enjoy your TM and this board is the greatest resource.

1. Hoses-best to not use a garden hose for water you'll want to drink.  Get one rated for "fresh water".  They are usually white in color.  As for the hose on a spool they seem convenient.  However, the one I had required you to roll the whole thing out before you could use it.  That meant you had 25+'  of hose that kinks up really easily.  I took one of the white hoses and cut off about five feet.  Added the fittings to all ends and now we have a longer hose, plus a short piece that is really all that is needed in a lot of campgrounds.  As a backup extension we do have a 10' flat hose we got at Camping World (just folds up into a small bundle).  
We have a regulator, but haven't used it in 10 years.  We mostly dry camp however. I'm not sure, but I think that if you use one of those inline water filters it may also serve to regulate pressure. Anybody know for sure?  

If you dry camp I'd suggest getting what I think is called a "water thief".  Its a rubber nozzle that slips snugly over campground spigots  (which frequently are not threaded).  It has a hose fitting on the end so you can attach your hose.  You can fill up in a lot more places.  We also carry one of those collapsible 5 gal containers so that we can haul water to the trailer if we need to add more during our stay.

We tow with a '98 Safari also.  Get a Weight Distributing hitch if you don't have one.  We have the sway control, but have never felt the need to use it.  I purchase mirrors from Camping World that slip over the van's mirrors.  They are called CIPA Slip-on Tow Mirrors.  They are about $25 for each side, but you can usually get them cheaper at one of their frequent sales.  You can still use the power mirror function of your van (if you have it).

Jim
Sinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:47 PM   #5
Windbreaker

Another thing that you will be glad you have is a cordless reversing drill with a large size allen wrench to lower and rise you're jacks. Saves a ton of time on the knees.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:56 PM   #6
arknoah

I vote strongly with the pressure regulator.  In one of our favorite campgrounds, when I turned on the water, the presure was so strong, it came out of the inside faucets even with the faucets turned off.  The regulator is a simple and inexpensive way to keep the water systems lasting longer.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:13 PM   #7
DaveRay

I would definently recommend the water pressure regulator.  As far as the mirrors are concerned, I found the plastic rubber band clip on mirrors totally useless. They vibrate so bad at times, you can't see anything and they don't extend out far enough on my Dodge Durango.  They are inexpensive but I would rather pay more and be able to have better vision.  I purchased a set at $125 each that hook onto the window lip and to the bottom of the door and can extend out as far as 20".  With the convex mirror, they are excellant.  I have a set of CIPI mirrors I will give away.  LOL  
Good luck on your trailer.  They are fun, fun, fun!
Old 03-29-2003, 01:03 AM   #8
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I purchased a set at $125 each that hook onto the window lip and to the bottom of the door and can extend out as far as 20".
You paid $125 each? So the set cost you $250? I have the custom CIPA mirrors that slip over my mirrors, but I was considering getting a set like those that you describe, but I surely don't want to spend that kind of money on them...what brand do you have? I have tried the the ones with the rubber strap, and I agree that they are useless, and I have found that the ones that I have now will even vibrate out of alignment, and that isn't a real big deal, unless I am towing by myself...it gets a little hairy, that's why I'm considering the type that you have. Thanks,

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 07:30 AM   #9
Bruce

Funny. I use the "rubber strap style" mirror on the driver's side and it has worked great for 3 years. Very little vibration and easy to put on and take off.
I tried the CITI morrors and returned them to Camping World. I did not like the fact that you needed to insert a wedge to get them to work. It seemed like the wedge could be easily lost.
I tried putting a rubber strap mirror on the passengers side after doing without a PS mirror for over 2 years. It did not work as well as on the driver's side. The  hook for the rubber strap was now on the bottom of the mirror making attachment cumbersome. I opted for a much more expensive - about the same price as a CITI- UTM mirror that attaches with nylon straps and a ratchet tightning device. It is pretty good but the mirror surface is very small. Overall I like the $12 rubber strap mirror the best.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
DaveRay

OTD (Old Timer's Disease) has set in, I do believe.   ;D  Let me correct some figures on my mirrors. They are McKesh Mirrors manufactured by Hensley Manufacturing Inc., in Romeo, MI.  Use your search engine and you can find their WEB page with pictures of the mirrors on almost any vehicle. The mirrors are 6" x 9" and can be extended up to 20".  The cost is $129.95 for a set of TWO mirrors.....right now, they have a special for $93.00 for a set of two.  You can add a large convex mirror for $12.95 each.  As I said, I couldn't stand the vibration of the rubber band mount and the other CITI mirror with the wedge wasn't available for a Durango.

Anybody going to the TrailManor Rally in East Texas next week end?  If so, we'll be there.