TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #21
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Bill mentioned weighing everything on a CAT scale. At that point though, it's kinda too late for most people. I know I'm not in a position to run out and buy a bigger tow vehicle after I bought the TrailManor. I had to be sure I was 100% confident my existing vehicle could pull the camper BEFORE I bought the camper. Buying a truck plus a camper would've been a deal breaker.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #22
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just a thought but with a heavy load the first thing that happens is the transmission unlocks and the engine goes into PE (power enrichment). Temperatures rise and mpg drops.

In that case it is better to manual shift to a lower gear that has less load so the trans can lockup and the engine stay out of PE.

My Jeep has a slapstick and is kinda fun in the mountains.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #23
bheisser

padget i have always kept my vehice out of overdrive ,, i keep it in drive , in a tacoma that is 4 i dont downshift any further ,,, do others downshift to low etc,,,,,does anyone tow in overdrive?
2017 Silverado 1500
Anderson 3324 WDH
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #24
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Florida is mostly flat so I let the trans do the thinking but do monitor the throttle position. Above 50% it goes into PE, below it is in lockup.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Bill mentioned weighing everything on a CAT scale. At that point though, it's kinda too late for most people. I know I'm not in a position to run out and buy a bigger tow vehicle after I bought the TrailManor. I had to be sure I was 100% confident my existing vehicle could pull the camper BEFORE I bought the camper.

2004 GMC Envoy XUV (5.3 V8, 3.73 gears)
Shane -

I fully agree with your comment. Whenever possible, you want to be sure of your tow vehicle before you pull the trigger on a TM. However, in my post #15, I was responding specifically to Gwenne and Len (post #13), and to Campers R Us (post #14), both of whom have already bought a TM and are now wondering about the tow vehicle.

I think that at this point, they have two options. The first is to solicit the experience of others, realizing that the others may drive in different terrain, and may load their rig (both tow vehicle and TM) differently. Anecdotal evidence is good, and I always advise folks to seek it and be sure to understand what it means. The second option is to weigh their own rig, since they already own both the TV and the TM. This will give them some hard facts.

Neither approach will fix a problem, but both will at least make them aware if their situation is marginal, and can influence how they pack, how they drive, and where they drive. I guess that was my point when I suggested weighing.

In order to be 100% confident, as you suggest and as we all would like to be, a new owner probably needs to do what you and I have done - buy a tow vehicle with A LOT of margin.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #26
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I often tow in overdrive, when in mountains no but in Ohio sure do, with no issues and better mileage

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #27
Gwenne & Len

Default Highlander pulling our 3124

We are home after 6 weeks in the West......the Highlander did fine pulling our 3124. We had way too much stuff, so we were heavier than we will be next time. Len loaded carefully, always attempting to put our heaviest loads over the axle in the trailer and forward in the Highlander, and he checked tongue weight before we left. We went over many mountain passes - the highest was 10,200 altitude, and we did fine. We were going 45 on the longest, highest stretches, but so were the big trucks. On the lower grades we were able to go full speed. We down shifted on down grades with little actual use of our brakes. I worried, but Len thought things were fine. We got 13 to 14 mpg when climbing, and up to 36 mpg on the downgrades. On the run over the rockies from Steamboat to Fort Collins we averaged 21 MPG. Cruise control is a problem on anything but minor grades. The system abruptly upshifts skipping gears to maintain speed within a one mile range.

As for the upgrade to a 3124 - I LOVE it! We were totally comfortable for 6 weeks in it. The extra dresser, the longer, deep counter make a huge difference. The King bed is wonderful. I miss our booth, but the sofa with tables worked fine.
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #28
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenne & Len View Post
We are home after 6 weeks in the West......the Highlander did fine pulling our 3124. We had way too much stuff, so we were heavier than we will be next time. Len loaded carefully, always attempting to put our heaviest loads over the axle in the trailer and forward in the Highlander, and he checked tongue weight before we left. We went over many mountain passes - the highest was 10,200 altitude, and we did fine. We were going 45 on the longest, highest stretches, but so were the big trucks. On the lower grades we were able to go full speed. We down shifted on down grades with little actual use of our brakes. I worried, but Len thought things were fine. We got 13 to 14 mpg when climbing, and up to 36 mpg on the downgrades. On the run over the rockies from Steamboat to Fort Collins we averaged 21 MPG. Cruise control is a problem on anything but minor grades. The system abruptly upshifts skipping gears to maintain speed within a one mile range.

As for the upgrade to a 3124 - I LOVE it! We were totally comfortable for 6 weeks in it. The extra dresser, the longer, deep counter make a huge difference. The King bed is wonderful. I miss our booth, but the sofa with tables worked fine.
Glad it's working for you.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #29
rmcmeeking

Talking A Highlander can pull a 3124 even in a kilt

Seems you already have the answer but I thought I'd contribute anyway.
rmcmeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #30
Padgett
TrailManor Master

What was the tongue weight please ? Was this with or without a WDH ?