TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2016, 12:56 AM   #1
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Default 3124kb... Whatcha towing with

I know that there are numerous threads about tow vehicles and tow capacities. I am not seeking to stoke the flames of opinion on whether or not the manufacturer or that make's marketing department got it right or played it safe. What I am trying to know is, and I apologize for exclusion here, what owners of 3124kb's are using to tow.

Currently, I've towed (on mostly flat land) my 3124kb with my 06 Toyota Sienna. A couple things first:

- My Sienna LE had the factory tow "prep" package. To that, I added the following: Curt class III tow hitch (350/3500 or 500/5000 with WDH) https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2006_Toyota_Sienna.htm, Prodigy 2 Brake Controller, AirLift 1000 Airbags, HaulMaster WDH.

- While "mostly" flat, we did ascend a couple mild "bunny hills": mainly freeway overpasses, a bridge and mild foothills (people who have been to Parker, AZ / Earp, CA know what I am talking about).

- For lack of better challenges, the Sienna did alright.

Having said all this, I also know a couple things

- I've not really put the van through the paces that would establish it as equal to the task of towing the TM.

- While it did "alright" I don't know that I would really want to "put it through the paces". I've been careful and cautious while towing (mirroring how I towed my old popup).

- Before we even venture down the MFG tow guidelines, or even that of the hitch, I know that I should pick something else to tow with. That is why I started this thread.

TLDR: For all you 3214kb owners, what do you / what have you towed with? What did you / what don't you like about your current / former tow vehicle? What tips might you have about selection?

My current thoughts:

1) Dodge Durango (late model) w/ ClassIV tow package. Probably the 3.6l PentaStar V6 (with IV tow package the 2016 is capable of 6500lb). Must have IV tow package and 2nd row captains chairs.

2) Chevy Traverse / GMC Acadia / Buick Enclave. it has 5200lb tow capability (w/tow package). Must have would be tow package and captain's chairs (2nd row). the only advantage over the durango (in my mind) is the 7th seat (layout has 3 across third row).

3) Ram 1500 with Hemi / Tow package (6-seat) and 3.92 rear-end. *this is less likely as the wife does not want a truck.

4) Ford / Chevy / GMC / NIssan (6-seat). *those, same as RAM, are less likely because the wife does not want a full size truck.

Sorry for the long post. Looking forward for input.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
ChefLamont

The answer is obvious. Get a new truck AND a new wife. LOL

I traded my truck a couple of years ago for an SUV and the withdrawal is strong.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky
ChefLamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Your selections are good with some exceptions.
1) The issue with TMs is usually not actual weight but the tongue weight. My 2720SL has a 460 lb tongue weight (measured). I suspect a 3124 is more.
2) Dodge Durango. To get the higher rating (2011-2013 is 5,000 lbs) you must have a 2014 or later with the eight speed transmission and the factory tow package.
3) Am biased but think the Grand Cherokee makes a better TV than the Durango because the wheelbase vs the axle to hitch distance is 3.27 vs 3.0. Under 3.0 is good. It is also lighter. Do you need the 3rd seat ?
4) While the Hemi makes more power it is also a less efficient & older design than the V-6. It requires midrange gas rather than regular and has 2 spark plugs for each cylinder that require frequent replacement.
5) For the RAM (or any pickup) get the shortest bed available with the crew cab.
6) If a truck I would suggest you look at the Ford F-150 with 3.5 (not 2.7) Ecoboost. That is the most modern system available.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I agree with Padgett on his number 5. Short bed / crew cab is the right combination. I speak from experience - I bought the Super cab (cab-and-a-half) and regular bed, and it is not a good combo. If you get to the point where you would like details, PM me.

As for Padgett's number 6, I have no personal experience with the Ecoboost, and I'm not sure Padgett does either. But although I have heard some good things about it, the reports are not universally good. Perhaps those negatives are from the early years, and Ford has worked out the bugs by now. Almost by chance, we ended up with the Ford 5.0L conventional non-sexy Detroit iron, and we love it.

As for your wife and trucks, perhaps you could try this. Since you are in Arizona, arrange to take a casual day trip up I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Halfway up you will go through the Verde Valley. Seven miles of 6+% grade, complete with tight turns, runaway truck ramps, and 18-wheelers and motor homes pulled off to the side with overheated engines and blown transmissions. If that doesn't convince her (and you) that a more-than-"adequate" vehicle is a good thing, you are a hard sell. And remember that this is Interstate! If you are in some other part of Arizona, find a place where the road climbs over the Mogollon Rim - say northbound route 87 out of Payson, or northbound route 191 from Morenci to Springerville. Both have miles of 7% grade. They are exciting in both the up and down directions, of course.

Needless to say, there are many places in the west with tougher roads. I point out these particular ones because you live in Arizona, and you can expect to encounter these. That is a bad time to discover that your tow vehicle is not quite up to the task. Restricting yourself to the flatlands of Arizona is a shame.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Chef,

What truck did you have and what SUV do you have? (this is valuable info).

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 05-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Your selections are good with some exceptions.
1) The issue with TMs is usually not actual weight but the tongue weight. My 2720SL has a 460 lb tongue weight (measured). I suspect a 3124 is more.
2) Dodge Durango. To get the higher rating (2011-2013 is 5,000 lbs) you must have a 2014 or later with the eight speed transmission and the factory tow package.
3) Am biased but think the Grand Cherokee makes a better TV than the Durango because the wheelbase vs the axle to hitch distance is 3.27 vs 3.0. Under 3.0 is good. It is also lighter. Do you need the 3rd seat ?
4) While the Hemi makes more power it is also a less efficient & older design than the V-6. It requires midrange gas rather than regular and has 2 spark plugs for each cylinder that require frequent replacement.
5) For the RAM (or any pickup) get the shortest bed available with the crew cab.
6) If a truck I would suggest you look at the Ford F-150 with 3.5 (not 2.7) Ecoboost. That is the most modern system available.
1) Agreed, which has me searching for something else.
2) If Durango (1st choice), would be 2014 or newer. My work truck is a 2015 Durango and I am quite fond of it...would get the Factory Tow Package
3) I do need the 3rd seat (6 people: 2 adults and 4 kids)
4) Did not know this (re: Spark Plugs). Guess I still have research to do. Probably not a big issue though (given the wife is not fond of full-size trucks).
5) If I picked the Truck/If I could pick the truck, Crew Cab / Short Box is the configuration I would look for.
6) I've looked at Ford and like the truck, but they are quite proud of their name plate.

-Ronnie

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Bill, you made me think of Mingus Mountain. I did not read the signs to well, we had a 32' class A and a chevy S10 toad . Climbing the mountain was not bad coming from Jerome. We were just over the 40' max length . Not bad when no other cars coming when going around the mountain. The bad came when coming down, they were doing road construction and it was stop and go all the way down. By the time we got to the bottom the brake fluid was too hot and we had no brakes had to down shift into first and pull over asap. Boiled the fluid or vapor lock not sure but it needed to be bleed . luckily I had a couple cans had to bleed the brakes on the spot.

But to keep with the thread. You need to have a vehicle that can do mountains out here.

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I agree with Padgett on his number 5. Short bed / crew cab is the right combination. I speak from experience - I bought the Super cab (cab-and-a-half) and regular bed, and it is not a good combo. If you get to the point where you would like details, PM me.

As for Padgett's number 6, I have no personal experience with the Ecoboost, and I'm not sure Padgett does either. But although I have heard some good things about it, the reports are not universally good. Perhaps those negatives are from the early years, and Ford has worked out the bugs by now. Almost by chance, we ended up with the Ford 5.0L conventional non-sexy Detroit iron, and we love it.

As for your wife and trucks, perhaps you could try this. Since you are in Arizona, arrange to take a casual day trip up I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Halfway up you will go through the Verde Valley. Seven miles of 6+% grade, complete with tight turns, runaway truck ramps, and 18-wheelers and motor homes pulled off to the side with overheated engines and blown transmissions. If that doesn't convince her (and you) that a more-than-"adequate" vehicle is a good thing, you are a hard sell. And remember that this is Interstate! If you are in some other part of Arizona, find a place where the road climbs over the Mogollon Rim - say northbound route 87 out of Payson, or northbound route 191 from Morenci to Springerville. Both have miles of 7% grade. They are exciting in both the up and down directions, of course.

Needless to say, there are many places in the west with tougher roads. I point out these particular ones because you live in Arizona, and you can expect to encounter these. That is a bad time to discover that your tow vehicle is not quite up to the task. Restricting yourself to the flatlands of Arizona is a shame.

Bill
I've traveled I17 to Flagstaff and parts beyond many times and am quite familiar with that road. As for 191 between Springerville and Morenci... The Coronado Trail has beautiful scenery and is a great ride (motorcycle). I've spent a lot of time in Safford and the Morenci copper mine for my previous employer. If you're out that way, you've got to try the Bacon Burger at the Bowling Alley.

As for flatlands, I don't intend to restrict myself to flatlands. Our go-to camping spot is an RV Park (Emerald Cove Resort) in Earp, CA (In-laws have a CRA timeshare membership). It seemed like a good first trip.

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 05-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
FujiPedaler

Default Toyota 4Runner V8

We have a 3326 King and have used our Toyota 4Runner V8 to pull across the Rockies three times and to both coasts plus the Gulf and have great confidence in what it can do and has done. Our 2006 with 125,000 miles is good for another 125,000. We use a weight distribution hitch that came with the trailer when we bought it used in Grand Junction, CO and they had a 2007 V8 4Runner so just plugged it in and away we went. By the way, we have our trailer and 4Runner for sale and if you are interested, look under the "for sale" section on our forum under Central region.

You do need more power for when that bad thing happens that you have no control over, so it is good that you are stepping up for safty.

God luck, and enjoy what ever you move up to.

Norman

ps We also carried 2 kayaks and 2 bicycles on the roof and averaged about 12 mpg.
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #10
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

All these replies have been helpful. Anyone out there with a 2124kb that would like to chime in about what they do / have towed it with?

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T